GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
It's a little confusing to me, too.

There's a lot I could say. But I guess it all comes down to me being extremely baffled with the path that this team chose to take while Crosby is still around. And it's maybe even more baffling that Crosby would be THIS loyal while the team is wallowing around in dysfunction. Not that I'm not grateful. But at this point I find myself thinking more of what COULD have been for those three as opposed to what inevitably will. And that's kinda sad.

We should be talking about how awesome it is that the old guys are still making the playoffs and that hey maybe NEXT year they can even win another round with some of the right moves. Instead we're rationalizing Kevin Hayes being a good thing because he came with a second round pick.
I would imagine Mario has had conversation with Crosby about the concept of "legacy". There is something to a player that plays a long, accomplished, and storied career. Only with one team. It's why Mario is essentially a demi-god in the hearts and minds of anyone thats been touched by the city of Pittsburgh. What Sid does is completely his choice. I wouldn't even blame him if he went and chased another Stanley with another team. Not one bit. I am just saying I would be willing to put a bet down that conversation has been had between himself and Mario. That I would also wager has something do with the why of him sticking with the team up till now and even moreso if he stays till the end regardless of the result.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I would imagine Mario has had conversation with Crosby about the concept of "legacy". There is something to a player that plays a long, accomplished, and storied career. Only with one team. It's why Mario is essentially a demi-god in the hearts and minds of anyone thats been touched by the city of Pittsburgh. What Sid does is completely his choice. I wouldn't even blame him if he went and chased another Stanley with another team. Not one bit. I am just saying I would be willing to put a bet down that conversation has been had between himself and Mario. That I would also wager has something do with the why of him sticking with the team up till now and even moreso if he stays till the end regardless of the result.

I'm sure you're right. And to be clear Mario is my favorite player of all time. But as they say what's good for the goose... ya know? Loyalty is great but as we've seen with Mike Sullivan... there are (or should be) hard limits.

I guess what I'm saying is that Crosby should do whatever he wants and he's more than earned that right. And I'd be very sad if he were to leave. But it's also really rough having to watch THAT guy... the ultimate competitor and a person BUILT for being in the middle of the highest of high stakes... have to slog through this trainwreck of a team for his last truly great years. What a kick in the dick.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I'm sure you're right. And to be clear Mario is my favorite player of all time. But as they say what's good for the goose... ya know? Loyalty is great but as we've seen with Mike Sullivan... there are (or should be) hard limits.

I guess what I'm saying is that Crosby should do whatever he wants and he's more than earned that right. And I'd be very sad if he were to leave. But it's also really rough having to watch THAT guy... the ultimate competitor and a person BUILT for being in the middle of the highest of high stakes... have to slog through this trainwreck of a team for his last truly great years. What a kick in the dick.
Trust me I do not want to see him rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic ether. I hate to see that. I was just saying if he does stay. I bet it would be directly tied to Mario's mentorship.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Wait so they penguins sent out a email to season ticket holders listing Tank as being signed by the pens?

I saw it in an article from a buffalo writer who listed eller and rakell as two players the sabers should still target.

It was not a good article, it said eller would be traded because of the Hayes/Lizotte additions as well as having acari centering the 4th line means eller needs to shift to wing. (We all know acari and Lizotte would be moved to wing before eller would be). The article also lists rakell as a player who can play center and wing which I don't think he has played center at all in the NHL.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Sid & Gino are gonna buy the Penguins and move them to Nova Scotia

The Long Con

IMG_0039.png

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Wait so they penguins sent out a email to season ticket holders listing Tank as being signed by the pens?

I saw it in an article from a buffalo writer who listed eller and rakell as two players the sabers should still target.

It was not a good article, it said eller would be traded because of the Hayes/Lizotte additions as well as having acari centering the 4th line means eller needs to shift to wing. (We all know acari and Lizotte would be moved to wing before eller would be). The article also lists rakell as a player who can play center and wing which I don't think he has played center at all in the NHL.

Rakell was a center in his rookie year in Anaheim, to my knowledge he hasn’t played there since.

yah that's where i'm at.

Though, Crosby is a bit confusing to me. As competitive as he is, as much as he knows and appreciates history, the fact that he's willing to stay in a situation where he will never win again and may never add to his PO PPG is weird. He wants to follow in Mario's footsteps, he feels a loyalty to the team, i get all of that, and as someone mentioned yesterday, these hyper competitive types always feel like they can compete, but I feel like deep down the big-3 gotta know the Penguins' time as contenders is over, so it's weird that he would re-sign here and be OK with not cementing himself as a top-5 player of all-time.

People may want to say otherwise, but him not immediately signing on July 1 says something.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
At this point, Pens should just try something risky to improve the forward group or the next season(s) will be waste of time.

Let's get our new Kessel trade; Laine with retention for Graves or Rakell + something valuable. Cheapest potential difference maker. Then if we still have a cap space; sign Tarasenko. If not; Sign Vrana.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
There are still slots in the lineup for youth. The only recent additions that I feel have a much better chance at being staples in the lineup are Lizotte and Hayes. Everyone else that was signed to a 1yr deal could be sent to WBS including Beauvillier, Puljujarvi, Bemstrom, and Nieto. I don't think they would shy away from waiving Acciari if it comes to it either.

But now let's also be realistic for a second. Yes, Dubas said they want to infuse youth into the lineup but that doesn't necessarily mean "put all youth into the line up this season with no plan B". If Pono comes in a gets buried every game...what do you do? To expect:

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunt-Geno-Raks
Poulin-Pono-Puustinen
Koivunen-Yager-Broz

or something is hardly a realistic expectation. As is, they have a couple of slots for youth to win in camp. Then, and a I know this is foreign to some, but you can indeed call guys up from WBS. Whether that be "hey, Beauvillier sucks, let's get Pono up here" or "Damn, Rakell is hurt, Broz is playing well, get him up here". It's a long season and things happen - waives, trades, injuries, scratches...there's plenty of time to assess the youth we have. And I don't think the goal was the necessary bank on youth this season, I think this is a transitionary season with lower expectations. Then in 2-3 years, get the youth in and go for it again.
Literally no one expects a line up like that. And there's no chance Sullivan is going to not play the veteran first over any youth that does better.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
People may want to say otherwise, but him not immediately signing on July 1 says something.
Means absolutely nothing. Sid's probably on vacation.
He'll probably sign it during development camp. I believe he shows up for those. July 6 through 10th I believe?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, ideal scenario is they both retire after 2026 and that's that. Three years feels like too much. Sid's one of the greatest of all time but I really don't wanna watch as the dude becomes Shaq on the Celtics or something.
Pretty much polar opposites in terms of conditioning so that seems reeeeeeally unlikely. Better chance of becoming latter day Brady than latter day Shaq.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
so what do peeps think about gretzky? is he a forever oiler or is his legacy there tarnished because he left? how about ray borque going to colorado for a cup, i don't think anyone thinks of him as anything other then a bruin. personally i think that's over blown these days, it might mean a lot to the player I get that But fan wise I wouldn't think anything less of Sid if he went somewhere else, I actually would admire him more for that because he could play meaningful hockey and he could greatly aid our team by the bounty that would come in even at this age for him.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
I think there is a good chance the team offered him SOMETHING. But I imagine it was a token offer to do the whole "hey we tried" song and dance. That's where we are, these days.

Honestly not really sure how great Tank at nearly 5M is for this team, anyway.
Yeah, I thought he was pretty underwhelming in the playoffs. But if he could have been had for like 3-3.5, fine. 4.75 is a lot for what he brings at this point in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad