GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
So they want to rebuild and be competitive, sort of what other teams do to refresh a roster with youth and picks but still be competitive. Dubas and Sullivan sat down and hammered out a plan.

The plan? Make it so zero youth have a shot at any spots in the line up except for St Ivany based on need and even then even he won't.

So the entire roster is entirely veteran heavy again. Lol...

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Any college kids or Russians we can sign that might be able to step in right away? Should be giving these guys a chance now.
They've signed so many veterans that no young player hoping to win a spot in camp will steer clear of this team altogether.

Dubas at this point should just trade Puustinen and let him have a shot elsewhere, this is frustrating to see them not understand how a rebuild should go. Getting a few picks and moving out bad contracts to only add more veterans and block spots for ones that played last year that deserve a shot is ridiculous. Puustinen has earned a spot about as much as Drew O'Connor has.

Drew in his break out year at 25 put up 33pts in 79 games getting a lot of top 6 minutes. Puustinen put up a 30pt pace in the same 79 games getting less top 6 minutes as a rookie. But one is more deserving somehow.

Reactions: 66-30-33

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I'm ready! Put me in!

Rowsdower vs. Trumpy

• Haha
Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
They've signed so many veterans that no young player hoping to win a spot in camp will steer clear of this team altogether.

Dubas at this point should just trade Puustinen and let him have a shot elsewhere, this is frustrating to see them not understand how a rebuild should go. Getting a few picks and moving out bad contracts to only add more veterans and block spots for ones that played last year that deserve a shot is ridiculous. Puustinen has earned a spot about as much as Drew O'Connor has.

Drew in his break out year at 25 put up 33pts in 79 games getting a lot of top 6 minutes. Puustinen put up a 30pt pace in the same 79 games getting less top 6 minutes as a rookie. But one is more deserving somehow.
Need more old guys like Tarasenko.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Brian Burke when asked how teams can sign guys right as FA begins?

"Well, it's obvious. They are tampering. I talked with Bob Daly about this, and he said 'I've asked teams, how can you sign a guy to a complicated 7 year deal when it's 12:02, and free agency just started?', he knows. But he said he also can't prove it. He said 'bring me a case, bring me the proof and I will throw the book at them, but I can't do anything without proof'. I mean teams cheat, they have been cheating since I came into the league in '92, it's nothing new."

Also he hates soccer, haha.

"you know what the best thing about being fired from the Penguins? It's that I will never have to watch a damn soccer game again in my life." I guess his associates had Liverpool on a lot, haha.
I wish Burke would tell us more of the stupid shit the Penguins did, because so many just stay quiet. f*** it. Light these assholes up in the media with their shit. I wish more players also spoke out instead of being boring ass drones.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Don’t question the rebuild.

“We’ve finally chosen a lane”.

Quit complaining.

Nothing Dubas can do.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Hi all. I have just taken a break from work to finally look over what Pens have been doing in free agency. After that I checked that, yes indeed, Sully is still the head coach of the team.

Based on the above, I fear that my interactions with you all will be much reduced next season and indeed it will be another year of not watching on my part. Sad.
Enjoy the Summer though!

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
To give a better answer:

It's from Reddit -- a screencap of an email from the Pens front office for season ticket holders. The OP then said they then later received a clarification:

"Big hiccup on our part. Our pre-drafted schedule release email that you just received from me stated that Vladimir Tarasenko was signed by the Penguins. Not entirely sure how that news made it into an email, but that information is just a rumor and not at all confirmed. I do apologize for the misunderstanding. Thanks!"
Thanks. I would give you a like but my privilege was taken away for saying Tampas cups were fake.

That would be pretty hilarious if it turns out to be true.

As of right now Florida has 5 mil in cap space and you would think 4+ is going to Lundell.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't see the urgency to do this.

The only guy whose value will definitely drop by the deadline is Petts. Everyone else's could go up, down, or sideways. If they move Karlsson with retention now, they are out of retention spots and that reduces their options throughout this year.

I've been a big Jarry backer but the team stopped playing him while chasing a playoff spot. His value is clearly dog doodoo right now.

I'm not moving Crosby unless he tells me he wants out.
It depends if you're taking cap back in a deal. If you're not, that means you can use the cap you just freed up to take on bad contracts in exchange for more picks.
So it's not just about the move in question, but also the domino effect.

Think of it this way. Karlsson is utilizing 10mil right now of what we instead could funnel toward helping the future. And that 10 mil is not helping us achieve anything useful last season or this upcoming one. All that he can do is make us draft lower, and I guess improve ticket/jersey sales. But we got rich ownership, so we're fine financially.
So any year that a GM is allowing that large of a chunk of our cap not to produce anything that progresses the organization toward a Cup... is a year of mismanaged cap.
Not to mention at his age his value will decrease every season you wait.

This is a worthy one to use the last retention spot on. The return would be significant at 5M x 3. Plus there's no guarantees that he'll be healthy later for us to capitalize on his value. He's healthy now, and we don't need him atm for anything.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
So they want to rebuild and be competitive, sort of what other teams do to refresh a roster with youth and picks but still be competitive. Dubas and Sullivan sat down and hammered out a plan.

The plan? Make it so zero youth have a shot at any spots in the line up except for St Ivany based on need and even then even he won't.

So the entire roster is entirely veteran heavy again. Lol...
I knew we had to get unconventional with our rebuild. The plan? Retool the roster with nothing but players over 30 years old.

948.jpg

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Man, just got caught up and these signings really make no sense. The trades have been fine but how do we expect to play younger players if all the spots on this roster are taken? Pono, Poulin, and the possibility of a Yager 9 game stint are basically gone. I’ve been a Dubas supporter but jeez. Hope this is part of his plan lol.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I don't see the urgency to do this.

The only guy whose value will definitely drop by the deadline is Petts. Everyone else's could go up, down, or sideways. If they move Karlsson with retention now, they are out of retention spots and that reduces their options throughout this year.

I've been a big Jarry backer but the team stopped playing him while chasing a playoff spot. His value is clearly dog doodoo right now.

I'm not moving Crosby unless he tells me he wants out.
Disagree on Petts value dropping at the TDL. IMHO, you trade him right now and his a 2nd round pick and another 2nd or 3rd around pick and I don't think that will change at the TDL (especially if we retain).

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
One thing to take into account are that for example the pick we got for Hayes or Smith can also be used to speed up the rebuild/youth movement. Dunno tue ask for Mcgroathy but let's say we get him for 2x2nds. That essentially for Smith and taking on Hayes.

The rebuild doesn't have to come from only the players we draft. We can also use the picks on players that's closer to making the NHL now rather to draft someone in the 2nd round 2025 that will be 2-3 years away, at best.

I think Dubas also said something along those lines after the Guentzel trade. That we got assets to use in other trades.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Something like 1 or 2 years, 4.5 or 5 mil for Tarasenko would be a good "cover your ass" move for Dubas. Top 6 player on a very movable contract. I assume they'd have to make a trade to accommodate him, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad