GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Brian Burke when asked how teams can sign guys right as FA begins?

"Well, it's obvious. They are tampering. I talked with Bob Daly about this, and he said 'I've asked teams, how can you sign a guy to a complicated 7 year deal when it's 12:02, and free agency just started?', he knows. But he said he also can't prove it. He said 'bring me a case, bring me the proof and I will throw the book at them, but I can't do anything without proof'. I mean teams cheat, they have been cheating since I came into the league in '92, it's nothing new."

Also he hates soccer, haha.

"you know what the best thing about being fired from the Penguins? It's that I will never have to watch a damn soccer game again in my life." I guess his associates had Liverpool on a lot, haha.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
And we will be shitty for it.
39077.jpg

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
What is this?

Brian Burke when asked how teams can sign guys right as FA begins?

"Well, it's obvious. They are tampering. I talked with Bob Daly about this, and he said 'I've asked teams, how can you sign a guy to a complicated 7 year deal when it's 12:02, and free agency just started?', he knows. But he said he also can't prove it. He said 'bring me a case, bring me the proof and I will throw the book at them, but I can't do anything without proof'. I mean teams cheat, they have been cheating since I came into the league in '92, it's nothing new."

Also he hates soccer, haha.

"you know what the best thing about being fired from the Penguins? It's that I will never have to watch a damn soccer game again in my life." I guess his associates had Liverpool on a lot, haha.
That so dumb. The proof is that they signed a played 1 minute into free agency lol.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Well aware. Still think it's the wrong decision though.
The #1 organizational need right now is the prospect pool, not to honor Crosby. They've honored him enough since 2005.
Even now you could get a significant return, while unblocking cap space to do even more with. FSG is wrong to do this.

Sid would even end up happier elsewhere, chasing Cups and having a relevant last chapter to his career. That's the silly part.
Both sides could end up getting what they need if they pulled that trigger, but instead neither will.

If he stays it's because he wants to stay.

The Pens have been blessed with two generational talents since 1984 and I'm fine with letting them decide their future.

Loyalty still means something in this world.

Reactions: Rave7215 and td_ice

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Well aware. Still think it's the wrong decision though.
The #1 organizational need right now is the prospect pool, not to honor Crosby. They've honored him enough since 2005.
Even now you could get a significant return, while unblocking cap space to do even more with. FSG is wrong to do this.

Sid would even end up happier elsewhere, chasing Cups and having a relevant last chapter to his career. That's the silly part.
Both sides could end up getting what they need if they pulled that trigger, but instead neither will.
It is not the organization's place to push Crosby out. This is how you get players across the league to despise you for years.

Semi-try for one more year, then make the best choices for the franchise with the remaining 20 guys on the roster. The core can ask out, but they can't be pushed out. That's where I draw the line. I also think hardcore tanking poisons the well. It gets set in culturally. An acceptance that losing is ok.

They traded Jake. Matt Gryzwhatever is in their top 4. Their second best winger is Drew O'Connor. The org has signalled very clearly what their intentions are. I think Dubas is mediocre (or worse) in execution but the plan is at least cogent.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

The Pens have been blessed with two generational talents since 1984 and I'm fine with letting them decide their future.
I hope he stays, but if he wants out, what are you gonna do?

The big downside if he does want out, is that he will want to pick his own destination, which means the value we get in a trade is gonna suck.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
At this point though there is very little additional tearing down we can do.

Jarry tanked his value last year. Our best path forward with him is letting him build it back up.
Rust is on a restrictive NMC for another year.
Karlsson would take our remaining retention spot and may have more value at the TDL or next off-season (when we'll have more retention spots).
Rakell would take a retention spot and could rebuild his value this year
Petts is the ONLY example where we may be leaving some value on the table by not selling now. At the same time, we don't know if Dubas has been offered a 1st for him. I don't think his value would drop much by the deadline, if at all.

I also am cool buying this year if we think we can get to the final 8 or so. There's value in playoff hockey and excitement, and it's not infeasible to think this team and these Hall of Famers can figure their stuff out on the Powerplay. If they bomb, then the sell off can really begin at the TDL and next off-season.
- Jarry did better this year than the prior year. He was above the median in the league among 30+ game goalies. In this paper thin goalie market, he definitely could have gotten something back. He's healthy, and at a good age still. Even off-loading him without a return would have been preferable, because then you can weaponize his cap space for picks for the next 4 years.
- Well I gave my thoughts on Sid and those assets, if we pulled that trigger. That would affect other players' decisions with waiving their NMC's. Gotta factor that in to this convo.
- Petts should 100% be off-loaded right now. You don't need to use a retention spot on him. His value is strong. Trade him before a injury or he starts sucking randomly.
- Karlsson I would use as the last retention spot at 50%, and deal him right now. At the deadline things are rushed and sloppy, which could hurt the return. Gotta maximize this.
- Bunting could get something decent back. Good age, cap hit, high intensity, net-front pest. Solid career numbers. May want to wait until summer, to create a retention spot.
- Might be able to get a 3rd or so for Eller atm. He had a pretty solid year, especially defensively.
- I would deal O'Connor and Puustinen at the deadline, if they have good years. If not, keep them until they boost their value. It's not like we're gonna need them in their mid 30's when this team is making the playoffs again. They are not key cogs of the contending future teams.
- Deal Ned at the deadline if he has a good year. If not, keep him for deadline 2026.
- Grzelcyk and Hayes go too, if they improved here.
- Trade Rust in the summer when his NMC poofs, if he had a strong year or the return is worth it. A lot of GMs are stupid. You never know. Maybe Vancouver?
- Rakell's contract is pretty bad, so that might be a future 50% retention slot, to make him more enticing.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Loyalty still means something in this world.
I'll respect your opinion on that. It's gonna end up being a heavy price for the loyalty towards the core-3 though.
Probably about 5 years that could have been used to replenish the pipeline and the team's standing, willingly discarded.
That bothers me, but I understand many are okay with that, because they got 3 Cups.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
- Jarry did better this year than the prior year. He was above the median in the league among 30+ game goalies. In this paper thin goalie market, he definitely could have gotten something back. He's healthy, and at a good age still. Even off-loading him without a return would have been preferable, because then you can weaponize his cap space for picks for the next 4 years.
- Well I gave my thoughts on Sid and those assets, if we pulled that trigger. That would affect other players' decisions with waiving their NMC's. Gotta factor that in to this convo.
- Petts should 100% be off-loaded right now. You don't need to use a retention spot on him. His value is strong. Trade him before a injury or he starts sucking randomly.
- Karlsson I would use as the last retention spot at 50%, and deal him right now. At the deadline things are rushed and sloppy, which could hurt the return. Gotta maximize this.
- Bunting could get something decent back. Good age, cap hit, high intensity, net-front pest. Solid career numbers. May want to wait until summer, to create a retention spot.
- Might be able to get a 3rd or so for Eller atm. He had a pretty solid year, especially defensively.
- I would deal O'Connor and Puustinen at the deadline, if they have good years. If not, keep them until they boost their value. It's not like we're gonna need them in their mid 30's when this team is making the playoffs again. They are not key cogs of the contending future teams.
- Deal Ned at the deadline if he has a good year. If not, keep him for deadline 2026.
- Grzelcyk and Hayes go too, if they improved here.
- Trade Rust in the summer when his NMC poofs, if he had a strong year or the return is worth it. A lot of GMs are stupid. You never know. Maybe Vancouver?
- Rakell's contract is pretty bad, so that might be a future 50% retention slot, to make him more enticing.

I don't see the urgency to do this.

The only guy whose value will definitely drop by the deadline is Petts. Everyone else's could go up, down, or sideways. If they move Karlsson with retention now, they are out of retention spots and that reduces their options throughout this year.

I've been a big Jarry backer but the team stopped playing him while chasing a playoff spot. His value is clearly dog doodoo right now.

I'm not moving Crosby unless he tells me he wants out.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
What is this?

That so dumb. The proof is that they signed a played 1 minute into free agency lol.

What is this?

Apparently it’s a leaked email. I don’t know if it’s legit.

From where? To whom? Where was it shared?

To give a better answer:

It's from Reddit -- a screencap of an email from the Pens front office for season ticket holders. The OP then said they then later received a clarification:

"Big hiccup on our part. Our pre-drafted schedule release email that you just received from me stated that Vladimir Tarasenko was signed by the Penguins. Not entirely sure how that news made it into an email, but that information is just a rumor and not at all confirmed. I do apologize for the misunderstanding. Thanks!"

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
To give a better answer:

It's from Reddit -- a screencap of an email from the Pens front office for season ticket holders. The OP then said they then later received a clarification:

"Big hiccup on our part. Our pre-drafted schedule release email that you just received from me stated that Vladimir Tarasenko was signed by the Penguins. Not entirely sure how that news made it into an email, but that information is just a rumor and not at all confirmed. I do apologize for the misunderstanding. Thanks!"
Thank you, Nubs.

If it went to season ticket holders, it only came from the season ticket office. Which means absolutely nothing.

Reactions: Sideline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad