GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
He specifically said yesterday that they'll continue to look at options to add futures and potentially players throughout the summer.

The Karlsson trade wasn't done until August last year. Other major trades for this organization involving other GMs have all happened later in the summer.

I really don't understand this perspective that everything has to be done July 1.
IIRC wasn’t the Marino and Matheson trades the end of July?

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
I explained it very clearly in the first response, so you should understand now.
I want the team to win again, which I know is insane to many. Others are older viewers who are sated and don't give a crap anymore about Cups for the Penguins. I understand that, but I don't consider them Penguins fans.
That's not gatekeeping either. That's just reality. They don't care about the team's results, so how can I call them a Penguins fan? They are merely fans of a few select players now. Most of the players they don't care about at all.

I don't believe in coasting in sports with any team, with any level of success. So here we are.
If the Pens won 10 Cups in 10 years, I would want them to go 100% in year 11. What's in the past is in the past. You focus on the task at hand. You always strive to progress, to win.
In our case we need to rebuild before a Cup happens, so better get to it asap instead of messing around.
You absolutely are gatekeeping fandom. You are declaring there is one way and only one way to be a fan. I have restrained from jumping into this conversation because the board has been miserable as shit lately but I'm not letting this one pass.

You have been going non-stop these past few months about how great McDavid is. How great other organizations are. And now what is a TRUE Pittsburgh Penguins fan?

Dude, Aurora, F*** off. You've been such a whiny bitch about things the past few months, you sound like anything but a fan of this team.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Right, that's what I said. You're satisfied, and prioritize the core 3's Pittsburgh legacy over team success at this point. Nothing wrong with that either. Everyone enjoys sports their way.
I'm just different. The core-3 to me are not the entire team. I care about the support players too.
For me there's no exceptions or excuses to having discardable years where next to no progress is made, like the last 2. It was unacceptable.
I want my team to do everything it can every year until the day I die.

If you just won, win again. If you need a rebuild, tear it down. If you're middling, with contention in reach, make moves until you are contenders.
It doesn't matter, the end goal should be the same. My problem is that their primary goal right now is not to win the Cup. They only pretend it is. Their #1 goal is saving FSG some face on their investment and honoring the core. It's a team that's been stripped of proper ambition. I will never support that mentality in sports.

And I laud Brisebois for still having that hunger after the Bolts got 2 Cups and reached a final in the 3rd year. That's what you wanna see from your GM. He's all-in for Cups. We haven't been that way since the shortened 2021 season.
Pittsburgh isn’t exactly know as one of the top destinations. If they want to make organizational loyalty a feature for top draft picks…then by all means. We’re going to get another batch of top picks in the next few years. It would be nice to hold onto them if they become studs.

Reactions: Freeptop

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pittsburgh isn’t exactly know as one of the top destinations. If they want to make organizational loyalty a feature for top draft picks…then by all means. We’re going to get another batch of top picks in the next few years. It would be nice to hold onto them if they become studs.

Yeah people need to remember this when talking about how easily we can build this team back.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
He specifically said yesterday that they'll continue to look at options to add futures and potentially players throughout the summer.

The Karlsson trade wasn't done until August last year. Other major trades for this organization involving other GMs have all happened later in the summer.

I really don't understand this perspective that everything has to be done July 1.
Yeah but eff 27 year old Beauvillier and his .21, .24, .45 in 15 mins. a night. He's not bringing back anything.
Take a gamble. Send one of the 2nds and a mid pick, get a Nick Robertson and staple him to Sid's wing for a few years. Maybe that .20, .20, .40 in 12 minutes now becomes something mor when Sid's ready to call it quits. And you get a nice roi.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Everything indicates he wants to be a one team player.

Dubas isn’t going to try and force him out because he’d be fired. FSG would lose a bunch of money if Sid was forced to leave.
He wants to be a one-team player because he feels a sense of obligation to do that, as their leader and face of the franchise. He knows the team's desire to keep him.
The moment they tell him that they have different plans and want to move on, he will adjust and concede.
But yeah, it's not Dubas' call, of course. It's FSG's. They're prioritizing short-term revenue at the cost of slowing down the team's return to relevance.
He's the face of their brand.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
He wants to be a one-team player because he feels a sense of obligation to do that, as their leader and face of the franchise. He knows the team's desire to keep him.
The moment they tell him that they have different plans and want to move on, he will adjust and concede.
But yeah, it's not Dubas' call, of course. It's FSG's. They're prioritizing short-term revenue at the cost of slowing down the team's return to relevance.
He wants to follow his hero Yzerman.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Tarasenko and maybe Roslovic are the only guys left worth a damn in free agency. If we want to give an appearance of at least icing a competitive team adding one of those guys might help a little. Tarasenko in particular.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Mid-July, but yes. July 16.

The Sutter-Bonino trade from Rutherford was done July 28.

Copetation.

I'd have to agree with Danny here. If the Pens aren't actually trying to be competitive then it doesn't really matter that they stuck with Sullivan.

Now it's kinda like whatever who cares if they suck that's good and if they somehow don't, that's also good.

Mike Sullivan will dilute potential trade value because he is that bad of a coach.

Also we signed a bunch of shitty players to play Sullivan’s shitty hockey.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
You absolutely are gatekeeping fandom. You are declaring there is one way and only one way to be a fan. I have restrained from jumping into this conversation because the board has been miserable as shit lately but I'm not letting this one pass.

You have been going non-stop these past few months about how great McDavid is. How great other organizations are. And now what is a TRUE Pittsburgh Penguins fan?

Dude, Aurora, F*** off. You've been such a whiny bitch about things the past few months, you sound like anything but a fan of this team.
That's just you being intolerant of other perspectives, because it's not the pro-Pens opinion you want to hear. All I'm saying is what I believe to be true though.
I've always been honest like this, even when the team was winning Cups. I laud the good things and point out the bad things. Haven't changed.
I've pointed out the good moves too recently, like the Hayes, Guentzel and Smith moves. Those are sensible decisions with eyes on the future.
It's not about likes or dislikes though, or what team I follow. Probably watch about 5 McDavid games per regular season. Not even a real fan of his. Watch Crosby for 82.

The fact is that other organizations are doing a better job of progressing their teams than we are, a lot of the time. Not all, mind you. Never said the Pens are the worst.
But they're certainly not ambitious like they used to be. They are fence-sitting right now.

I don't need to pretend that someone is better than he is, or that our team is doing better than they are, just because I'm a Penguins fan.
If people want to lie to themselves, or embellish history, that's their choice. Others are prepared to acknowledge what's actually happening.

Right now it's a down period in the Pens arc, so obviously there will be more negatives than positives. They are willingly throwing away years, for the sake of feelings.
So I'm sorry for not being sunshine and rainbows about that.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019

Give it up. Sid isn't going anywhere.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
IMG_2151.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m not big on continuing to overstuff our roster with over 30 aged players…feel bad for Puusty, Pomo etc…they deserve a good chance to compete and they won’t get it with this coach

Reactions: Freeptop

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Give it up. Sid isn't going anywhere.
Well aware. Still think it's the wrong decision though.
The #1 organizational need right now is the prospect pool, not to honor Crosby. They've honored him enough since 2005.
Even now you could get a significant return, while unblocking cap space to do even more with. FSG is wrong to do this.

Sid would even end up happier elsewhere, chasing Cups and having a relevant last chapter to his career. That's the silly part.
Both sides could end up getting what they need if they pulled that trigger, but instead neither will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad