GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Sid/Geno/Letang were the first trio in sports history to spend 18 years together and will be the first to retire together having only played on one team. Imo shit like that matters. Duncan/Ginobli/Parker played I think 16 years together and they are forever enshrined into basketball history.
It has meaning, yes. But if you're a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, getting back to contention faster and creating a new extended window should mean MORE. If you no longer feel that way, you gotta question if you're a still a fan of the team at that point, or if you're just a fan of 3 players on the team.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Doesn't matter. I know Crosby would waive if asked. He's team-first 100%, and always has been. Loyal soldier.
If they tell him they want to blow it up completely and that they want to trade him, he will accept it and move on.
Then after he goes it's a domino effect. Guys won't pushback to stay here on a sinking ship.
That would open the door to accelerate all of this shit.

What’s Sid having for dinner tonight? Surely you know.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah that's such a smokescreen rumor. I liked Tank... years ago. But I mean even in his current state he's probably still better than the bucket of wallpaper paste that is this team's top six wings. Maybe.

Helps with the powerplay and gives Malkin a friend for once.

So weird we've never given him a Russian line mate in his entire existence.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I've pointed that out a few times over the years... citing his prior close relationship with Gonchar. And people mostly made fun of me and said Malkin gets everything he wants anyway.

They DID give him that one dude from Russia that totally sucked, though! And hey Feds is Ukrainian and that's uh... you know what nevermind.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

I've pointed that out a few times over the years... citing his prior close relationship with Gonchar. And people mostly made fun of me and said Malkin gets everything he wants anyway.

They DID give him that one dude from Russia that totally sucked, though! And hey Feds is Ukrainian and that's uh... you know what nevermind.
How dare you both forget the great Sergei Plotnikov

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

1719965138578.png

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
So you've watched Sid for 18 years and actually doubt it? He's gonna say "no, I refuse to be traded"?
Come on man. Get real. That's not in line with his personality at all. He's the opposite of a egotist.
Don't need to be psychic for this one. It's friggin Sid.

Everything indicates he wants to be a one team player.

Dubas isn’t going to try and force him out because he’d be fired. FSG would lose a bunch of money if Sid was forced to leave.

Reactions: canadianguy77

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Right, that's what I said. You're satisfied, and prioritize the core 3's Pittsburgh legacy over team success at this point. Nothing wrong with that either. Everyone enjoys sports their way.
I'm just different. The core-3 to me are not the entire team. I care about the support players too.
For me there's no exceptions or excuses to having discardable years where next to no progress is made, like the last 2. It was unacceptable.
I want my team to do everything it can every year until the day I die.

If you just won, win again. If you need a rebuild, tear it down. If you're middling, with contention in reach, make moves until you are contenders.
It doesn't matter, the end goal should be the same. My problem is that their primary goal right now is not to win the Cup. They only pretend it is. Their #1 goal is saving FSG some face on their investment and honoring the core. It's a team that's been stripped of proper ambition. I will never support that mentality in sports.

And I laud Brisebois for still having that hunger after the Bolts got 2 Cups and reached a final in the 3rd year. That's what you wanna see from your GM. He's all-in for Cups. We haven't been that way since the shortened 2021 season.
I mean, we have WAS all they could handle in 2018. Geno had a kneee injury if I recall and we were essentially a one line team, but Guentzel was on fire. Pens win that series I bet they make the final again.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
So is this it????? This is the sum of the 24 offseason for Dubas? Daring, what a boy/nerd genius. They should up his salary to 15 million per for this brilliance.

maroon
He specifically said yesterday that they'll continue to look at options to add futures and potentially players throughout the summer.

The Karlsson trade wasn't done until August last year. Other major trades for this organization involving other GMs have all happened later in the summer.

I really don't understand this perspective that everything has to be done July 1.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad