GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
1719958773121.png

The Kyle Dubas creed.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Tanking or rebuilding a team is the best way to get out of the mess you are in for every Pro level sport. Sometimes it takes longer than you would like but it does not mean you become Champions because the other team you are playing against most likely did the same thing to get to the Champion Ship game as you did. Why we have to put up with Bob Nutting terrible ownership of our Pittsburgh Pirates.
I think you can definitely be competitive if the NFL and MLB without tanking. The NFL if you get a QB you’re set. Sometimes that’s a high pick and sometimes it’s not. The MLB you just buy championships it doesn’t matter.

Reactions: Jobeycool

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Good. Making the playoffs and getting dumpstered in R1 would only slow down the growth of what's most important.
We should be drafting higher in this upcoming deep draft. We'll be free to trade whatever has value at the deadline this way as well.

They don't need a top-six Forward. They need to use that money to take on a bad contract in exchange for pick(s).
I guess there's hope that he performs well here and you can flip him at the deadline, but why risk it? Just use the money to get picks now. Easy.
I mean I'd be fine with making the playoffs. There's probably enough there on the roster that if everything went right they could grab one of the final spots.

But I'm also perfectly content for them to suck provided they keep their first.

What's important is they hold onto what youth and picks they have, or if they are going to trade those assets, that they use them to acquire other youth/picks.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I mean I'd be fine with making the playoffs. There's probably enough there on the roster that if everything went right they could grab one of the final spots.

But I'm also perfectly content for them to suck provided they keep their first.

What's important is they hold onto what youth and picks they have, or if they are going to trade those assets, that they use them to acquire other youth/picks.

I hope they trade DOC at the deadline if he puts up 20-20.

Pump up Bunting's numbers and trade him too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I was really hoping the Penguins would have made a serious bid years ago when he was squabbling a little bit with St. Louis, there were rumors he wanted out and people had concerns about his shoulder. He ended up sticking around and put up a career high the next season.
Josh Norris if we want a re-do...
Yeah I don't think anyone you could realistically "sell" on the team right now is at optimal value outside of Petterson. Guys like Rakell, Karlsson, Jarry and such are coming off of down years that you'd be selling low on them to trade them right now.
If someone wants a goalie upgrade, Jarry can still be sent out. Petts is a guy you send out at the TDL to a contender who's down a top LD and is willing to part with their 1st like Florida did with Chiarot.

Everyone else - the best thing for us would be for them to return and do better. I can't imagine Rakell will go on a major slump again. Statistically, it's unlikely. I think Graves will bounce back as well, and I just hope Eller/Acciari/etc play at a level that doesn't hurt their value. Karlsson is who he is under this system. Jarry hopefully has a bounce-back year, and Neds ideally plays well enough to platoon.

Selling now outside of Eller, Acciari, and Nieto is questionable because I think we can start to get into a value discussion and whether or not it makes sense. Jarry for a 7th? No. Graves for a 7th...maybe to get out of the contract. Pettersson for a 2nd? No, I think he's worth more. Karlsson for a 3rd, no I think he's worth more. Eller, Acciari, or Nieto for a cond 7th, yes.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Is it too much to hope that perhaps it could even be for... a second round pick?

What about if that pick were actually even NEXT YEAR'S?!?

Call me a dreamer if you want. But I've always wanted the team to draft the next Keven Veilleux... I just don't dare to get my hopes up.

y u have to be so mad.

it make me mad u so mad.

be better fan like me. i know how to root right way.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Is it too much to hope that perhaps it could even be for... a second round pick?

What about if that pick were actually even NEXT YEAR'S?!?

Call me a dreamer if you want. But I've always wanted the team to draft the next Keven Veilleux... I just don't dare to get my hopes up.
Bad example there :laugh:

We need a Hintz, Kyrou, Point, etc - a future 1C that we plug out of the late 1st or 2nd round.

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Bad example there :laugh:

We need a Hintz, Kyrou, Point, etc - a future 1C that we plug out of the late 1st or 2nd round.

There are way more bad than good. WAY more.

Not that I disagree with your second point... who wouldn't want that. But I won't be holding my breath. The real rebuild comes when those picks get up into single-digit territory.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

Not that I disagree with your second point... who wouldn't want that. But I won't be holding my breath. The real rebuild comes when those picks get up into single-digit territory.

You mean in 2027 when this team has spent the last 3 years being mediocre enough to get a bunch of picks and prospects that turn us into the St Louis Blues who are just good / bad enough to not get those?

If we want a single-digit 1st we better hope we have a year from hell this year. Because guarantee if there is any inkling of positivity next year Dubas' plan suddenly changes when he has 20mil to burn (figuring Sid is around 10 mil) next off season.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You mean in 2027 when this team has spent the last 3 years being mediocre enough to get a bunch of picks and prospects that turn us into the St Louis Blues who are just good / bad enough to not get those?

If we want a single-digit 1st we better hope we have a year from hell this year. Because guarantee if there is any inkling of positivity next year Dubas' plan suddenly changes when he has 20mil to burn (figuring Sid is around 10 mil) next off season.

I think everyone's idea of "rebuild" is a little different and that's fine. I think whatever this team is doing is way too waffly to be a rebuild but maybe that's just me. I'm just saying you know you are definitely on the bottom working your way back to the top when your picks get to be within that top ten range. The Penguins are merely a mediocre team selling themselves as a contending team pretending to also be a "soft" rebuilding team.

tenor.gif

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I was referring to the fact that I'm about 99% sure Vellieux got toss from the org for racial slurs in the AHL. But yes, our 2nd rounds stink. But the law of averages say we're due!

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I was referring to the fact that I'm about 99% sure Vellieux got toss from the org for racial slurs in the AHL. But yes, our 2nd rounds stink. But the law of averages say we're due!

Oh... whoosh... right over my head. I nearly forgot about that. Or was it his wife? Or was that Casey Pierre-Zabotel that had wife drama?

In any case there's some names best left in the past. Leave it to me.

Reactions: SEALBound

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
okay, let me put it this way:

I want the team to win. Every year. I don’t want any losing seasons ever.

That said, we are the best franchise of the cap era. We have the best, most-successful core of the cap era. We have one of the best cores of all time. We were blessed to watch two of the best players of all time do it (in this era).

I was robbed of 3 years of Sid’s career. If you told me he would 100% win 1+ more cups if he left, I’d be okay with it and let’s start the rebuild. But getting to watch him in a penguins sweater for 3 more years is good enough for me.

Also, there is something special about finishing your career with 1 team. Sid / Geno / Kris may be the last to do this. It has some meaning to me. It has some meaning to Sid.

I got my money’s worth out of this era. I’m fine with a farewell tour. I’m also fine if they wanna go elsewhere to win. I’m good with whatever the big 3 wants.
Right, that's what I said. You're satisfied, and prioritize the core 3's Pittsburgh legacy over team success at this point. Nothing wrong with that either. Everyone enjoys sports their way.
I'm just different. The core-3 to me are not the entire team. I care about the support players too.
For me there's no exceptions or excuses to having discardable years where next to no progress is made, like the last 2. It was unacceptable.
I want my team to do everything it can every year until the day I die.

If you just won, win again. If you need a rebuild, tear it down. If you're middling, with contention in reach, make moves until you are contenders.
It doesn't matter, the end goal should be the same. My problem is that their primary goal right now is not to win the Cup. They only pretend it is. Their #1 goal is saving FSG some face on their investment and honoring the core. It's a team that's been stripped of proper ambition. I will never support that mentality in sports.

And I laud Brisebois for still having that hunger after the Bolts got 2 Cups and reached a final in the 3rd year. That's what you wanna see from your GM. He's all-in for Cups. We haven't been that way since the shortened 2021 season.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
So is this it????? This is the sum of the 24 offseason for Dubas? Daring, what a boy/nerd genius. They should up his salary to 15 million per for this brilliance.

maroon

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Right, that's what I said. You're satisfied, and prioritize the core 3's Pittsburgh legacy over team success at this point. Nothing wrong with that either. Everyone enjoys sports their way.
I'm just different. The core-3 to me are not the entire team. I care about the support players too.
For me there's no exceptions or excuses to having discardable years where next to no progress is made, like the last 2. It was unacceptable.
I want my team to do everything it can every year until the day I die.

If you just won, win again. If you need a rebuild, tear it down. If you're middling, with contention in reach, make moves until you are contenders.
It doesn't matter, the end goal should be the same. My problem is that their primary goal right now is not to win the Cup. They only pretend it is. Their #1 goal is saving FSG some face on their investment and honoring the core. It's a team that's been stripped of proper ambition. I will never support that mentality in sports.

And I laud Brisebois for still having that hunger after the Bolts got 2 Cups and reached a final in the 3rd year. That's what you wanna see from your GM. He's all-in for Cups. We haven't been that way since the shortened 2021 season.

Crosby, Malkin & Letang have NMC’s so it doesn’t matter what fans or Dubas think. They can stay unless bought out which is their right to do (players get less money with a NMC).

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Sid/Geno/Letang were the first trio in sports history to spend 18 years together and will be the first to retire together having only played on one team. Imo shit like that matters. Duncan/Ginobli/Parker played I think 16 years together and they are forever enshrined into basketball history.

Reactions: Lustaf

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Crosby, Malkin & Letang have NMC’s so it doesn’t matter what fans or Dubas think. They can stay unless bought out which is their right to do (players get less money with a NMC).
Doesn't matter. I know Crosby would waive if asked. He's team-first 100%, and always has been. Loyal soldier.
If they tell him they want to blow it up completely and that they want to trade him, he will accept it and move on.
Then after he goes it's a domino effect. Guys won't pushback to stay here on a sinking ship.
That would open the door to accelerate all of this shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad