GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Getting out of term for lesser term should be the goal.

If you can move Rakell for a worse contract or worse player with less term, do it.

etc etc.
Yeah, I don't agree with you on Laine but I'd move Rakell for him just to go from 4 years of commitment to 2 years. Regardless of cap, and again, I think the guy's cooked but there's a non-zero chance he sorts his shit out and can be flipped down the line. If not, oh well, he walks 2 years sooner than Rakell.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, I don't agree with you on Laine but I'd move Rakell for him just to go from 4 years of commitment to 2 years. Regardless of cap, and again, I think the guy's cooked but there's a non-zero chance he sorts his shit out and can be flipped down the line. If not, oh well, he walks 2 years sooner than Rakell.

I'd be moving Rust for like Fabbri and a 3rd.

Rakell for Jarnkrok and a 4th.

Who cares. Get the high term, high caps off the books and then continue to try to make the moves that other teams are making.

By whose standards? Anaheim and Seattle? Pretty good. A team with aspirations to be good? Not very good.

Analytics said he was a top tier defensive player.

Which is why you should never trust expected numbers.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Can anyone explain a single UFA signing by Dubas to me?
Warm bodies for a team that's not trying to throw long term commitment at trying to lure good players anymore, pretty much.

Nobody's ever really wanted to come to Pittsburgh. Doubt that changes after more than half a decade of decline, having missed the playoffs for two years in a row, etc.

I know nobody wants to hear that cuz they eat the "we're still super committed to competing, we believe in this group" shlock the team says every presser, but it is what it is.

Reactions: farscape1

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
For the 50th time this is why you trade Petts now. He has just as much a chance to be cooked in 4 years.
If the plan isn't to try to compete for anything until 3 years from now, I am open to the idea. Should have tendered POJ though if that were the case.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

fantasy-football.gif

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
This board's obsession with Tatar last year was a little odd. You give a guy like Puus all season and a defined role and he could put up the same numbers. And I'm not a huge um... Puus believer.
Tatar was NJDs best defensive Forward in his last year there.
This goes beyond just offense. Besides, he's been able to put up points with defensively inclined usage before.

We can acknowledge Tatar's career while at the same time respecting Puustinen's game.
Yes, he had a down year last year, but I'm not so quick to give up on guys like everyone else. I expect him to improve in NJD and play up to his cap hit. 1.8M level is not a huge ask for someone of his skill level, even at 34.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This goes beyond just offense. Besides, he's been able to put up points with defensively inclined usage before.

We can acknowledge Tatar's career while at the same time respecting Puustinen's game.
Yes, he had a down year last year, but I'm not so quick to give up on guys like everyone else. I expect him to improve in NJD and play up to his cap hit. 1.8M level is not a huge ask for someone of his skill level, even at 34.

NJ made a lot of money for some players that probably didn't deserve it that year, eh?

*stares at Graves*

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

Tatar's career is that of Cody Franson's.

A career loser who got worked whenever he was on an actual championship caliber squad who analytic geeks said was a top tier player.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd be moving Rust for like Fabbri and a 3rd.

Rakell for Jarnkrok and a 4th.

Who cares. Get the high term, high caps off the books and then continue to try to make the moves that other teams are making.

Analytics said he was a top tier defensive player.

Which is why you should never trust expected numbers.
Petts and Rakell out by the TDL. Rust gone next summer once his NTC is dead. Shop EK the entire time cuz that's a monstrous cap hit and it's gonna be a mess trying to find a taker, even at 50% retained, after Sullivan's handiwork.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Sure…they’re going to recycle bottom six forwards again for yet the third season in a row because either that’s the “real” problem or the front office is stupid or wants to look like they’re actually doing something…in turn, we can’t actually have any young players actually make the team despite what Dubas and Sullivan profess..sayanora Puusty, Pomo, Poolparty and Poulin, enjoy northeastern PA

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Lizotte is a good bottom-6 player, Grzelcyk and Beavvullier are 1 year players that will be trade bait at the deadline if they rebound and Aho is a depth player.

If the plan isn't to try to compete for anything until 3 years from now, I am open to the idea. Should have tendered POJ though if that were the case.

Grzelcyk if he bounces back will have more trade value than POJ would as a rental this year.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Petts and Rakell out by the TDL. Rust gone next summer once his NTC is dead. Shop EK the entire time cuz that's a monstrous cap hit and it's gonna be a mess trying to find a taker, even at 50% retained, after Sullivan's handiwork.

It's funny. I was mad about the return we got for Guentzel, but that's what we should be targeting for Petts. A young LHD that can fill in 18 minutes a night and a 2nd.

What will actually happen...

- Petts is re-signed 6 x 6. Probably before the season starts.
- Rakell finds his game and we talk about him being a big part of the future.
- Rust is given the A in two years when Malkn retires.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's funny. I was mad about the return we got for Guentzel, but that's what we should be targeting for Petts. A young LHD that can fill in 18 minutes a night and a 2nd.

What will actually happen...

- Petts is re-signed 6 x 6. Probably before the season starts.
- Rakell finds his game and we talk about him being a big part of the future.
- Rust is given the A in two years when Malkn retires.
I hate you, do not dare speak the evil words aloud. :laugh:

Reactions: farscape1

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I was pulling for POJ and he showed some interesting flashes here and there.

But as an apparent resident embarrassment and over-reactor even I don't much care about all that. He was given some good chances here IMO.

Reactions: Gurglesons

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'll add this too, @IcedCapp . You call me not being a fan for wanting the team to do everything it can to win again ASAP (which is absurd btw).
I call the people who are willing to eat 5+ years of unnecessary futility just to watch the core play more, "non-fans".
They are Core-3 fans, not Pittsburgh Penguins fans. A real Pittsburgh Penguins fan wants the team to succeed. Top priority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad