GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Interesting question now will be - what does he resign for? $8.7mil would be totally doable and fair for both sides. I could also see him getting $10mil. That said, I could also see him moving down to $6mil to be with Letang and Malkin. Something like $6.87mil x 3-4 years.

Maybe 3 years, 18.7 mil? Similar AAVs

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Randy Butternubs is a well-known member of the HFBoards community, gaining recognition for several reasons:
  1. Detailed Prospect Rankings: He is particularly noted for his thorough and insightful rankings of hockey prospects. His assessments often reflect a deep understanding of the game and the potential of young players.
  2. Engaging Analysis: Randy Butternubs is known for providing detailed and engaging analysis of players, teams, and games. His posts often include in-depth breakdowns of player performances and potential.
  3. Active Participation: He is an active participant in discussions on HFBoards, contributing regularly to threads about various hockey-related topics. His frequent contributions and interactions with other members help foster a vibrant community.
  4. Reputation for Insightfulness: Over time, Randy Butternubs has built a reputation for being insightful and knowledgeable about hockey, earning respect from fellow forum members.
  5. Humor and Personality: The pseudonym itself, "Randy Butternubs," adds a touch of humor and personality, making his posts memorable and distinctive within the community.
These elements contribute to Randy Butternubs' standing as a prominent and respected figure on HFBoards.

^ I don't think any of that is true.
You need to be using DALL-E not Chat-GPT. :laugh:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I don't think the franchise has any interest in watching Sid leave. He's the sole reason the team gets any attention from fans or media at this point.

That said, I personally really think Sid SHOULD leave. "Trying to be competitive" while icing this group is flat out contrarian. But more to the point - as Sid ages it's become more difficult for him to carry just any old linemates, compete hard every shift (yeah - glad to argue that because he absolutely time manages himself these days), night in and night out.

Now - couple that with a WORSE and worse team. What does that mean for Sid? As a one line team, he's getting more and more and more of the attention from the opposing teams top groups which are younger and faster. I don't see the points drying up for one particular reason, but to consider:

- No longer a Jake caliber winger to finish for him
- More pressure on his line as the other lines we have are irrelevant - they're folks you leave open on the 3 point line in pickup basketball because they just flat out won't score on you
- Has no opportunity to load balance any more because Geno has fallen harder

I get why people are absolute in him being a 1 team guy - but perhaps he should (or has) considered something else? Yes he's still effective as a 1C but he would be downright deadly as a 2C somewhere. How much do point totals matter to him? Because Pittsburgh is very likely near dead last in the NHL as far as teams that can get him the most points. We have a Rust and a DOC to give you - to face off against the other teams best for 99% of the game. Enjoy.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I don't think the franchise has any interest in watching Sid leave. He's the sole reason the team gets any attention from fans or media at this point.

That said, I personally really think Sid SHOULD leave. "Trying to be competitive" while icing this group is flat out contrarian. But more to the point - as Sid ages it's become more difficult for him to carry just any old linemates, compete hard every shift (yeah - glad to argue that because he absolutely time manages himself these days), night in and night out.

Now - couple that with a WORSE and worse team. What does that mean for Sid? As a one line team, he's getting more and more and more of the attention from the opposing teams top groups which are younger and faster. I don't see the points drying up for one particular reason, but to consider:

- No longer a Jake caliber winger to finish for him
- More pressure on his line as the other lines we have are irrelevant - they're folks you leave open on the 3 point line in pickup basketball because they just flat out won't score on you
- Has no opportunity to load balance any more because Geno has fallen harder

I get why people are absolute in him being a 1 team guy - but perhaps he should (or has) considered something else? Yes he's still effective as a 1C but he would be downright deadly as a 2C somewhere. How much do point totals matter to him? Because Pittsburgh is very likely near dead last in the NHL as far as teams that can get him the most points. We have a Rust and a DOC to give you - to face off against the other teams best for 99% of the game. Enjoy.
I can see Crosby giving a lot less crap on playing D. We saw it last year I can see even less.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
That's your POV and it's totally valid. Not saying you're wrong but I am saying that it's highly likely Dubas, the FO, and FSG disagrees with you. Which is why they will resign Sid and be doing exactly as I said. And I believe this to be true because it's what Dubas has said over and over again so...

To contrast this with Stammer - Stamkos was a wing and there were viable replacements on the open market. Will there be a viable replacement for Sid next year? What do we gain by not resigning Sid right now?

DOC-Malkin-Rust
Bunting-Hayes-Rakell
Beau-Eller-Puustinen
Poulin-Lizotte-Acciari

Along with an entire team and organization and fan base that is not sad and likely pissed we didn't resign him. What are the positives here?
The only positives are not being stuck in the mediocre middle, which is the worst place to be in the NHL, and allowing Crosby to actually play meaningful games wherever he ends up. I am fully aware that what you said in the first part is the case though. They will resign him. I am not going to be upset about it. It is just not something I think has to happen.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I literally said in my post that wasn't talking about you to you. It was more a global announcement or soapbox about others.

That said:
1. Sid is a WAY bigger deal to the Pens than Stammer was to the TBL.
2. Vegas didn't have a Sid. It's easy if you're cycling through guys VGK have had.
3. Pens are not wasting assets at the moment. They are collecting assets.
They are wasting assets through their inactions. This was the perfect time to trade Petts and Jarry.
You can deal EK at 50% instead of waiting til he ages more and value declines.
Why try to acquire Tarasenko when you can just take on a bad contract with that money, in exchange for something you actually need?

Just lose. Stop going after standings points when going on a deep run is hopeless. Stop hurting the asset pool.
This is not the time to get 8th, 9th or 10th.
That would have no purpose.
The next draft is deep. Stop messing around. Just lose.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I would NEVER be mad about Crosby coming back. I'm STILL not mad about Letang and Malkin coming back despite some fans trying to twist things around to make it seem like that was "the real problem." I guess I just think it's a shame and a large part of me now would rather see them somewhere actually playing meaningful games because that's what players like them are built for.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How are the Penguins "wasting assets" by not trading anyone immediately? Are they somehow not going to have those guys in 6 months?

It's one thing if they're sitting on rentals and don't end up trading them, but there is no reason to trade a guy with term now versus down the line. Especially with bounce-back candidates like Jarry and Rakell, it makes far more sesne for them to try to rebuild up some of their value and then sell them off later.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
They are wasting assets through their inactions. This was the perfect time to trade Petts and Jarry.
You can deal EK at 50% instead of waiting til he ages more and value declines.
Why try to acquire Tarasenko when you can just take on a bad contract with that money, in exchange for something you actually need?

Just lose. Stop going after standings points when going on a deep run is hopeless. Stop hurting the asset pool.
This is not the time to get 8th, 9th or 10th.
That would have no purpose.
The next draft is deep. Stop messing around. Just lose.
Dubas tried to trade Jarry and had no dance partners. I think you'll get more for Pettersson at the TDL.

Signing Tarasenko improves playoffs chances...if he doesn't, you sell him at the TDL for likely more than you get taking on a bad player. Which we also did with Hayes. So it seems like Dubas is doing most of the things you want him to be doing.

Yes, the next draft will help.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I would NEVER be mad about Crosby coming back. I'm STILL not mad about Letang and Malkin coming back despite some fans trying to twist things around to make it seem like that was "the real problem." I guess I just think it's a shame and a large part of me now would rather see them somewhere actually playing meaningful games because that's what players like them are built for.
I wouldn't be mad and never will be.

I'd rather trade Crosby and get assets though. I also understand being under one team. I have a preference but I won't be bad.

Reactions: molon labe

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

what you or i want is meaningless. stop trying to get into sid's head or telling him what he should do. sid is a big boy now and he is free to do whatever he wants. let it go.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I can see Crosby giving a lot less crap on playing D. We saw it last year I can see even less.

He definitely got overlooked for Selke nominations in the 2010s - but lately he just doesn't do enough except take draws. That trophy is stupid to begin with but yeah - he'd play 4 seconds of penalty kill and mail in 25% of his shifts in the game.

That's not a critique, just an observation. He knows that in order to push 110% on certain high danger shifts, he has to mail in other shifts. That's completely fine. The issue is our lack of depth to really support that. That's why we look so awful on certain nights. If Sid isn't giving it everything - to make sure we barely win - we're losing. That's telling and we've frankly gotten worse.

To the other points being said here - I agree that being in the middle makes no sense especially with the roster we're icing. It's utterly not competitive. You can count on Sid/Geno for what, really - 10-15 wins on the season? 35/25 goals for your 1 and 2C with not a lot of support is really not competitive in 2024. I just have to counter all these points about 'remaining competitive' because this roster is not that. And does it really matter to Sid whether we miss by 8 points next year or 20? Maybe. I just think that's a guy that wants to win every year and he's just not going to have a chance in hell to do that here (obviously, not without something going the other direction at this point). So why stay? Like, the legacy is cemented. At this point you're just putting yourself through misery to wind up losing and probably taking MORE of a beating on your body since you're now the sole focus night in and night out. Behind a MacK? He could probably elongate his career another 2-3 years that way.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
How are the Penguins "wasting assets" by not trading anyone immediately? Are they somehow not going to have those guys in 6 months?

It's one thing if they're sitting on rentals and don't end up trading them, but there is no reason to trade a guy with term now versus down the line. Especially with bounce-back candidates like Jarry and Rakell, it makes far more sesne for them to try to rebuild up some of their value and then sell them off later.

Time value of money.

If your window is 2030 by example, you don't want to trade Petts in 2028 for a 2030 2nd +...because it makes a hell of a lot more sense to trade him for a 2025 2nd and prospect that both (prospect and draft pick) very likely are ready to compete in 2030.

Same goes for selling EK at 50% for 1st ++

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I still hope they trade Petts before the deadline. Whether that's today or 10 minutes before the TDL. Just don't re-sign him--makes zero sense. Don't care if he's half competent defensively or whatever, he's a nobody and you don't sign him with the intent on moving him down the road cuz you don't know what's gonna happen with his play or injuries. /shrug

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I wouldn't be mad and never will be.

I'd rather trade Crosby and get assets though. I also understand being under one team. I have a preference but I won't be bad.

This is the other way to look at it. I've loved Sid here. Usually discuss moving him from the player angle - because I'd certainly tune in to any team he joins. I would absolutely love to see him as a 2C in Colorado and tearing up a powerplay again - see him succeed AND get more recognition that these modern players get playing with studs on their lines...inflating their point totals that he never gets to do.

Also as I said before - he could very well extend his playing career by taking a load off somewhere else. Being 'the guy' [the only guy] in Pittsburgh is taxing.

But from the Pens perspective...another 1st in 2025/2026 would help us a lot sooner than waiting and waiting and waiting.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Time value of money.

If your window is 2030 by example, you don't want to trade Petts in 2028 for a 2030 2nd +...because it makes a hell of a lot more sense to trade him for a 2025 2nd and prospect that both (prospect and draft pick) very likely are ready to compete in 2030.

Same goes for selling EK at 50% for 1st ++
Right. That's why, even if we blew up the team TODAY we wouldn't see results until 5 years out anyway, mostly likely closer to 10 with the way league competitiveness is going.

Every year we wait, is another year on the backend.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This is the other way to look at it. I've loved Sid here. Usually discuss moving him from the player angle - because I'd certainly tune in to any team he joins. I would absolutely love to see him as a 2C in Colorado and tearing up a powerplay again - see him succeed AND get more recognition that these modern players get playing with studs on their lines...inflating their point totals that he never gets to do.

Also as I said before - he could very well extend his playing career by taking a load off somewhere else. Being 'the guy' [the only guy] in Pittsburgh is taxing.

But from the Pens perspective...another 1st in 2025/2026 would help us a lot sooner than waiting and waiting and waiting.

I think this is actually true to a lesser extent with Malkin, as well.

He's clearly declining but I think there is more to tease out there even now than you will see, here. Maybe I'm off base but I dunno. He wasn't done a ton of favors last season re: his production but soldiered on regardless. And before anyone goes the "wah poor Geno wah" route you can shut all the way the f*** up in advance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad