GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sideline

May 23, 2004
He did sign a 26, 27, and 30 year old yesterday. All of whom brought the average age of the team down. I don’t see the harm in signing a winger who can put up Tarasenko’s productivity on a short term deal.
I think plan A is hope a Colorado or Nashville needs to pay you a draft pick to take a halfway serviceable player like Colton or Nyquist.

Tarasenko is a good plan B if he's still looking for a home and the price comes down.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Never understood why contending teams don’t start paying draft picks to GMs cap space in FA to sign and retain on guys for full season.

Like if EDM dropped a 2nd and 3rd to Penguins to sign Skinner to 1 year $3M then flip him @ 50% to the Oilers.

• Haha
Reactions: DearDiary

wizmet12

wizmet1_2
Feb 19, 2014
Why do the Pens insist on getting smaller? The only exception among the new additions who has a bit of size just so happens to also be something we need to move away from - slow.

Like, I get size isn't everything (jokes aside), but why does this club never prioritize adding a bit of beef?
Because Sully likes it smol, it's obvious.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Am I taking crazy pills? Why would we extend him when he’s our best trade asset and we are starting a rebuild? It makes no sense and Dubas should know better.
Because they aren’t actually starting a rebuild. They are doing this half in half out bullshit. So they are going to re-sign Petts… then they are 100% going to re-sign Rust…. they aren’t actually starting to rebuild and that’s why a lot of people are saying Dubas has no plan and the team has no direction

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Because they aren’t actually starting a rebuild. They are doing this half in half out bullshit. So they are going to re-sign Petts… then they are 100% going to re-sign Rust…. they aren’t actually starting to rebuild and that’s why a lot of people are saying Dubas has no plan and the team has no direction
If Petts is re-signed, PPG should be stormed a looted.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
  • Haha
Reactions: Pens x and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We have too many vets again taking up spots…guarantee that none of Pono, Poulin, maybe even Puusty get spots in the top 12…not sure getting Tarasenko, this version at least, , would have much of an impact

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Rakell-Malkin-Tarasenko could he a pretty sweet 2nd line.

Yohe is likely lying his ass off though

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Geting any kind of asset for Eller or Acciari while replacing with Lizotte for free would be good asset management.

I don't see us signing any more players without moving someone out.
Cap space or not, we have like 0 roster spots left. It's already full roster if poolparty and Bemström are extras. And that's counting 0 of Poulin, pono etc making the.team

Reactions: Andy99

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Regardless of whether or not we sign Tarasenko, it seems obvious to me that we would be moving a forward out. Acciari would make the most sense.

Or maybe Eller. Eller would have more trade value, so he might be the better choice to trade.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Nothing would surprise me but citing to that source is about anything is silly.
Not sure why it’s silly… Kevin Hayes is the type of player Mike Sullivan absolutely loves. It’s why even though they got a 2nd round pick some people were iffy on the deal because they were afraid that Hayes wasn’t viewed as a toss in, but was viewed as a legitimate piece for this lineup.

Tarasenko would be cool. Don't really care about the cap hit, so long as the term is one or two years.
Tarasenko is actually the type of guy who could recoup some positive value at the deadline. He’s got name value, 2 cups and has a goal scoring touch still (23 goals and 55 points last season). I wouldn’t mind him here at all on a 1 or 2 year deal.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Eller out, Tarasenko in...

Rakell Crosby Rust
Bunting Malkin Tarasenko
O'Connor Hayes Puustinen
Lizotte Acciari Puljujarvi
Beauvillier Poulin

20* - 35 - 25
20 - 25 - 20

Maybe 30 goals total from the bottom 6 plus depth?

175 goals from your forward group. Last year we had 262 total goals for 17th in the NHL and it seemed like we struggled. Goes back several Summers when we knew even with Jake hitting 35+ we needed ANOTHER scoring threat. To lose him, we need to gain ground somewhere.

You're pretty much (again) relying on a remarkable season by Sid and down seasons by several other teams to maybe compete down the stretch for the 8th seed to play against the 1 seed. Either go for it or don't.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Interest in Tarasenko? Revelaed by Yohe?

Yeah, sorry, this feels 100% like the FO telling their lapdog to tweet out something to divert interest from what they really did. Right out of the Pirate playbook.

"We tried to trade for a bat! There wasn't anything that makes sense!"

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Interest in Tarasenko? Revelaed by Yohe?

Yeah, sorry, this feels 100% like the FO telling their lapdog to tweet out something to divert interest from what they really did. Right out of the Pirate playbook.

"We tried to trade for a bat! There wasn't anything that makes sense!"
Tbf to Yohe but he was the first to report two moves yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad