GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Well I'm spent. I expected a quality player coming back in to replace the impact Reilly Smith was supposed to provide, and we didn't get it. We got a bunch of retreads and lotto tickets. So be it I guess.

Time to hibernate until training camp to see how Sullivan deploys this band of misfits. Poor Sid.

Reactions: Lustaf and Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Don't complain about Dubas.

But bring up how great Matheson and Marino would be any time.

I was just bringing up the counterfactual to bringing back 71 and 58. Not saying it would be better - in fact I said the opposite.

But go off King, make your next 60 posts in 5 hours.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean even in 2022.

Malkin and Letang are still good-ish players at $6.1M AAV. Maybe in the alt reality we sign Trocheck, trade a pick for Petry and trade Dumoulin for futures and run with:

GCR
Zucker-Trocheck-Rakell

Matheson-Petry
Petts-Marino

As our top-9/top-4. But I don't see that being better than what we did really. The alternative question would be if getting rid of Malkin and Letang would have shaken the Powerplay up sufficiently. Even though the Sid/Geno/Letang dynamic is toxic on the PP, I think the coaching is just as toxic and so I don't have much faith that the Powerplay shake-up would have been better.

I think there were definitely thing you could have done in 2022 that would have yielded a better team today, and not just with Malkin and Letang but also with Rust. I mention Gaudreau because it seems like Gaudreau could have been a legitimately attainable target, since he signed in Columbus and was looking at Philly as the alternative.

If they wanted to pursue it, I think they could have this top-6 right now:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Gaudreau-Trocheck-Rust

Your defense would have been way different, but would be way cheaper. And seeing how Matheson has done in an elevated role, I'm curious if he could have done that or something close to that in an expanded role with the Penguins.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Kyle firmly embracing the rebuild, proud of him. The roster he's put forward here is a bottom 10 roster. We're gonna get a high 1st rounder. Exactly what we need.

• Haha
Reactions: Lustaf

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Oh wow. Who comes off the books?
Cap is going up another 4+ million, Only forwards signed are Crosby (assuming), Malkin, Rust, Rakell, Bunting, Lizotte, Acciari and Hayes. Only defensemen singed are Karlsson, Letang and Graves. Then the goalies. So next offseason it looks 30+million to fill out the roster + being flush with draft picks. Will be interesting.
hate to tell you but the private equity bros are coming for everything mate :laugh:
Yea.. hard to tell what's better between that and sleezy poltical grocery man. Kinda felt like our last guy was gonna get busted for something real soon in that climate.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think there were definitely thing you could have done in 2022 that would have yielded a better team today, and not just with Malkin and Letang but also with Rust. I mention Gaudreau because it seems like Gaudreau could have been a legitimately attainable target, since he signed in Columbus and was looking at Philly as the alternative.

If they wanted to pursue it, I think they could have this top-6 right now:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Gaudreau-Trocheck-Rust

Your defense would have been way different, but would be way cheaper. And seeing how Matheson has done in an elevated role, I'm curious if he could have done that or something close to that in an expanded role with the Penguins.

Hasn't Johnny Gaudreau epically failed in Columbus though?

I agree that Matheson was a huge loss. As were ERod and Freddy Gaudreau.

Plus bringing Carter back, the whole Carter situation really would have hung over the team no matter what. A black hole at 3C.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Man, that Carter contract should be a case study of what not to do. Hextall should have been fired for that alone, but I suspect he wasn’t the only one angling for it.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd be perfectly fine rolling with absolute bare bones in the roster. If they're gonna suck, let 'em suck with cheap, young talent that may end up being able to be flipped for more assets.

DOC-Sid-Rust (moved the second his NTC expires one year from now)
Bunting-Geno-Puustinen
Beau-Pono-Poulin
Lizotte-Eller-Hayes

Petts (can eat shit, dealt by the deadline) - EK
Grizzler or whatever the f*** his stupid name is - Letang
Graves - St. Ivany

Rakell can eat shit. Acciari can eat shit. Nieto can eat shit. Shop Graves cuz he can eat shit. Shop Jarry cuz he can eat shit.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hasn't Johnny Gaudreau epically failed in Columbus though?

I agree that Matheson was a huge loss. As were ERod and Freddy Gaudreau.

Plus bringing Carter back, the whole Carter situation really would have hung over the team no matter what. A black hole at 3C.

Gotta ask about how the environment would be different for him on a 2nd line on a Crosby led team versus being on the mess that Columbus has been. But even then, I figure he'd be around a 25 goal, 80 point guy here.

The bigger consequence of signing Gaudreau in this hypothetical is that you probably couldn't have acquired Karlsson the year after. You'd definitely have to go cheaper on defense and have something like Matheson-Marino and Pettersson-Petry as your top-4.

Also to clarify, I'm not saying these moves are why the team is at where they're at. But I think the 2022 off-season was the last chance that this team could pivot in a new direction, and the path they're on right now was destined to happen regardless of what Hextall did after. Even with Hextall's horrid 2022 off-season, I don't think the Penguins would be much better now.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Kyle firmly embracing the rebuild, proud of him. The roster he's put forward here is a bottom 10 roster. We're gonna get a high 1st rounder. Exactly what we need.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Apparently the Celtics just went up for sale. Wonder if FSG dumps the Pens and buys them.

Or they could just buy everything I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad