GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wonder where Sid ends up when he retires after the 2026 Olympics. I dunno if he'd make a good coach, but I dunno what makes a good coach anyway. Maybe a scout? AGM who is Dubas' successor down the road? Maybe he just f***s off and goes fishing and randomly showing up at shitty rinks in little nowhere pockets of NA.

On a boat fishing trying to get his girlfriend pregnant before his sperm count gets too low.

Puustinen is going to be a top 9 RW anyway next year. I don't get it.

Is he?

It's weird how many people have faith in Sullivan not playing Bemstrom, Lizotte, and Hayes over all of our youth.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
This came up somewhere else and I think @CheckingLineCenter or someone else with experience in the field mentioned that this was a super weird career move. I'm curious about it, for sure.
Looks odd but hard to speculate from outside. Work on an investment team. I’m not an expert on the industry but know a little.

just copying my post here

“FSG is not normal finance firm but typically you don’t leave at Beeston’s level unless it’s to start your own firm or retire. Golden handcuffs are very real. Typically… it means fund (in this case the team) is not doing well and your carried interest (personal equity) is wiped out or you were pushed out for performance/politcal reasons.

However there’s a real chance the pay difference is crazy. Again FSG is not really in the Wall Street bucket, Clearlake fully is. So I don’t really wanna speculate on the reasoning. People kill to be seniors at places like Clearlake, Blackstone because you can make crazy money.

Could actually affect the Penguins if Beeston was the guy who ran point on them.”

Not to be middle man Dan but it could mean something or it could mean nothing. But without in and outs of FSG and the role Beeston is going to I can’t tell you.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
FWIW the Pens are projected to have well over 30 million in cap space next offseason, even with a Sid extension accounted for.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Looks odd but hard to speculate from outside. Work on an investment team. I’m not an expert on the industry but know a little.

just copying my post here

“FSG is not normal finance firm but typically you don’t leave at Beeston’s level unless it’s to start your own firm or retire. Golden handcuffs are very real. Typically… it means fund (in this case the team) is not doing well and your carried interest (personal equity) is wiped out or you were pushed out for performance/politcal reasons.

However there’s a real chance the pay difference is crazy. Again FSG is not really in the Wall Street bucket, Clearlake fully is. So I don’t really wanna speculate on the reasoning. People kill to be seniors at places like Clearlake, Blackstone because you can make crazy money.

Could actually affect the Penguins if Beeston was the guy who ran point on them.”

Not to be middle man Dan but it could mean something or it could mean nothing. But without in and outs of FSG and the role Beeston is going to I can’t tell you.
Can we just get the Fred Rodgers estate to own the team or something? Local.. wholesome.. not related to Boston and or Lebron James.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It is 100% more fun to watch a bad team with guys that might be long shot diamonds in the rough (but probably aren't) living their dreams than a bad team made up of overpaid vets who have no urgency.

Like how is this even up for discussion? Lol.
Major League 1 is way better than Major League 3, basically

Reactions: Lustaf

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
FWIW the Pens are projected to have well over 30 million in cap space next offseason, even with a Sid extension accounted for.
They can take on more Hayes-like contracts for picks. Hopefully worse players/contracts for better picks and a better shot at McKenna in 2026.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
At this point? There is no alternative. They've made their bed and are now laying in it. There's no way out of it realistically, because Letang's deal is absolutely unmovable and Malkin's deal is probably not much easier to move. But at the time, they could have committed to a 2-3 year retool with the intent of trying to compete again in Crosby's last 3 or 4 years.

There's a lot of ifs here and it's hard to tell how exactly that could have been done. But I think there was a path in 2022 you could have gone down that didn't involve running it back with the core that could have yielded a contender right now. One big thing I wonder: could the Penguins have gotten Gaudreau to sign with them?

I mean even in 2022.

Malkin and Letang are still good-ish players at $6.1M AAV. Maybe in the alt reality we sign Trocheck, trade a pick for Petry and trade Dumoulin for futures and run with:

GCR
Zucker-Trocheck-Rakell

Matheson-Petry
Petts-Marino

As our top-9/top-4. But I don't see that being better than what we did really. The alternative question would be if getting rid of Malkin and Letang would have shaken the Powerplay up sufficiently. Even though the Sid/Geno/Letang dynamic is toxic on the PP, I think the coaching is just as toxic and so I don't have much faith that the Powerplay shake-up would have been better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad