GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm worse; I'm rooting for an absolute decimation and cratering of the franchise in the next 20ish months so the team can hopefully luck into McKenna and simultaneously land a potential superstar and drive the hockey world ballistic by ending up with another stud as soon as the previous era's retires, a la Mario->Sid.

• Love
Reactions: HandshakeLine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also speaking of FSG, I didn't see this mentioned:

"There was a big change behind the scenes in Pittsburgh.

According to several sources, staff were notified Friday that David Beeston, co-head of Fenway Sports Management and a Penguins' alternate governor, is stepping down. Apparently, he’s joining the private equity firm Clearlake Capital. (Clearlake is incredibly influential, it bought a majority stake in Chelsea FC in 2022.)

Beeston, who did not respond to requests for comment, played a major role in Fenway’s Penguins purchase and in recruiting current President of Hockey Operations and GM Kyle Dubas. "

Really curious to see if this has any downstream impacts on the Penguins.

That's not what required means, Emp.

What teams have rebuilt without doing the kind of things Dubas has done this off-season? Honest question.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
This is exactly why I don't get mad about watching the Pirates. I want them to do well, but I'm not expecting them to be a top tier contender. So when people are spazzing out saying "this team is 37-40, everyone should be fired!", I'm like "isn't this basically just what this team is?".
If Pens were run that way I would never watch a game again. Doesnt the owner care more about making the most money over an actual winning product? lifes short and sports are for entertainment, f*** all that BS the owner puts the team through because he's a greedy guy.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

According to several sources, staff were notified Friday that David Beeston, co-head of Fenway Sports Management and a Penguins' alternate governor, is stepping down. Apparently, he’s joining the private equity firm Clearlake Capital. (Clearlake is incredibly influential, it bought a majority stake in Chelsea FC in 2022.)

Beeston, who did not respond to requests for comment, played a major role in Fenway’s Penguins purchase and in recruiting current President of Hockey Operations and GM Kyle Dubas. "

This came up somewhere else and I think @CheckingLineCenter or someone else with experience in the field mentioned that this was a super weird career move. I'm curious about it, for sure.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

Annnnnd theyre getting sold again

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
My big fear with FSG is that they're going to try to run this team like the Leafs or another O6 team and there's just no way the Pittsburgh market can handle that, as much as we'd like to think so.
I'm not even sure what my big fear with FSG is besides a complete lack of any understanding of the sport and the fact that they seem to have spent a billion of their collective $10B on a toy for no other reason than to have it.

Yeah I mentioned that earlier when the site was shitting its pants over some random ECHL Leafs move cuz HFboards is dookie.

Laughed at the dude baiting his idiot billionaire pals into spending a billion on a dying club, getting them to sign Dubas for a decade then jumping ship. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Pens were run that way I would never watch a game again. Doesnt the owner care more about making the most money over an actual winning product? lifes short and sports are for entertainment, f*** all that BS the owner puts the team through because he's a greedy guy.

Their owner sucks but their management and coach also suck too.

My point was more so "I'm not going to get mad that a mediocre team is mediocre".

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I'm not sure what is difficult to understand.

Our GM less than 12 months ago was telling us "he wouldn't bet against our core."

He gave up a 1st that could've potentially rolled over to this year and been a lottery pick.

He then did nothing to improve the team in season.

He traded Jake and traded him for a 2nd, a player that would help us now, and propsects that he said would help us acquire young players or develop here.

He now is completely admitting defeat and taking on cap to get picks.

How is this a plan? He's changed the message multiple times in 12 months.

When he signs Marcus Pettersson to a 6x6 deal what is going to be the reason we say that was a great move?
So at what point was he allowed to change the message in your eyes?

Seems like they are moving in a pretty defined manner currently.

Yeah he came in and was confident. Last season showed that the old guys couldn’t carry a team of no bodies and ultimately we didn’t have the firepower to really do much about it.

I see no problem in a GM coming in his first year, trying to throw some haymakers, missing on them and now reassessing the path forward.

It’s not like he’s been here for 3-4 years.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis

Lol so, he is running away from the mistake of buying the team lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This came up somewhere else and I think @CheckingLineCenter or someone else with experience in the field mentioned that this was a super weird career move. I'm curious about it, for sure.

I have also seen speculation that FSG may be looking to sell the Penguins before this, so it's a really bizarre situation.

Amazing vetting that Mario did by selling it to FSG I guess.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
What teams have rebuilt without doing the kind of things Dubas has done this off-season? Honest question.
Every team does, but not every team does it the same way. That's like saying "Find me a team that won the cup without drafting any players!" I guess I just disagree that the rebuild has to start like this, a weird threading of the needle.

Hell, before Crosby and Malkin, conventional wisdom was "build from the net out" and people sagely agreed to it.

But like I always say, here's hoping I'm totally wrong here.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Shit, when this team sucks the arena will probably be 100x as lively and loud as it is now. They'll have to go back to student rush style stuff and people who actually give a shit about the team may be able to go see 'em again as opposed to realtors and lawyers using the tickets to shmooze or as palm-greasers for business.

Every single aspect of this organization is f***ing lame, dude. :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So at what point was he allowed to change the message in your eyes?

Seems like they are moving in a pretty defined manner currently.

Yeah he came in and was confident. Last season showed that the old guys couldn’t carry a team of no bodies and ultimately we didn’t have the firepower to really do much about it.

I see no problem in a GM coming in his first year, trying to throw some haymakers, missing on them and now reassessing the path forward.

It’s not like he’s been here for 3-4 years.

I guess my question is why do people think this approach won't continue?

Like if Sid signs for 3 years. What makes people think they aren't going to continue with is weird backwards ass way of "rebuilding"?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I'm not sure what is difficult to understand.

Our GM less than 12 months ago was telling us "he wouldn't bet against our core."

He gave up a 1st that could've potentially rolled over to this year and been a lottery pick.
12 months is like 1000 years in hockey. he was lied to about how good we were. and when he saw the truth, it changed everything.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
As an aside, Mario doesn't get nearly enough shit for his responsibility in the direction that the Penguins have gone in the past few years.
He has basically gone into hiding, too, though

He barely shows up and his name is never floated around. He was over it by 2015 but they couldn't find a buyer.

He has now totally gotten paid and not cared.

It wasn't great under his control either. Country Club was in FULL swing the whole time.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Every single aspect of this organization is f***ing lame, dude. :laugh:
Yeah, it's just not a great atmosphere in the new arena. It reminds me a lot of going to United Center in the mid-2000s when Chicago was Hawk crazy but they were dumb and boring to watch, except it's with a worse product on the ice.

The atmosphere can totally change though, if you have an ownership that cares about it.

Personally, I resent how lame it is. Sports should be entertainment.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Between this and Bukestal I'm beginning to think Burkle and Lemieux weren't super invested in hockey in the years 2019-2022

Hextall was pretty clearly a nepotism hire by Lemieux and then he quickly sold off the team to the highest bidder.

Lemieux obviously had the right to do whatever he wanted with the team, but he really didn't leave the team in a good state.

He has basically gone into hiding, too, though

He barely shows up and his name is never floated around. He was over it by 2015 but they couldn't find a buyer.

He has now totally gotten paid and not cared.

It wasn't great under his control either. Country Club was in FULL swing the whole time.

I had forgotten that Lemieux had explored selling the Penguins before the FSG sale as well, I vaguely recall him looking to do that in 2019-ish.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Wasn't it revealed that Mario basically lied about the whole KC thing just to get the best deal he could?

Great hockey player. Reason I love the game. But... yeah...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
As an aside, Mario doesn't get nearly enough shit for his responsibility in the direction that the Penguins have gone in the past few years.
Mario was absolutely checked out after 2020 and was actively looking to jump ship. Dude was on autopilot to the extreme. Not firing Sullivan three playoffs into having zero answers in the playoffs and not firing JR after years of some of the worst GMing was unreal. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad