GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Bunting is a clear downgrade on Guentzel without a doubt, but I also think the top line isn't going to be much worse without Guentzel than it was with Guentzel. Now this really changes if Crosby falls off, but Crosby has never had any issues maintaining an elite top line with or without Guentzel.

I think the roster today is effectively the same as the roster last year. Hayes, Grzelcyk and Beauvillier in and Carter, POJ and Smith out seems mostly like a lateral move. This team isn't done though, since they do have $6 million in cap space left. But all they've done so far this off-season is maintain the team as-is while getting 2 2nds out of it IMO.

I think this reinforces even more that the Leafs don't have money for Robertson.

This roster is so much worse.

I can't believe people are really acting like this roster is same as we entered into last season with.

LMAO what is this kind of money for Wennberg.

2 years isn't bad but good christ that AAV
Cap floor, Empo.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I dunno.

Skinner's a one dimensional forward whose one dimension netted 46 points this year. Which contender is gonna want that in the top 9?
Pittsburgh seems like a fantastic place then, put him on wing on Malkin's line and he's potting 30/30. Hell he can drive a third line if you want him too. Hes so good 5v5 and so were the Pens, and its not like our terrible PP will affect his numbers since he isn't a PP player.
I get what you guys are saying, I dont doubt his ability to play, or the ability of our guys to improve a goalscorer with their talent. And two years ago, I would've agreed with you. But we just have that "it factor" anymore for someone looking to rediscover their competitive fire.

Anyone coming here knows they wont be hoisting a cup, and that's going to do very little to reignite that competitive spirit, IMO. We are in a "gardening leave" period for franchise legends, and I think we will see alot more Hayes/Smith type guys in the next few years than Buntings/Carters (yes, I still put BIG JEFF in that bracket because when he first got here, he was enthusiastic and initially came in like a house on fire)

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Who is being convinced this roster is competitive next year?

Sid's not going to be here lol. Him not being signed yet is a huge red flag.
Then let him go chase a Cup elsewhere. /shrug

Best for both parties. He gets to compete, this team gets to move on and not be petrified into inaction in an effort to walk on egg shells around Sid.

Still think he re-signs though. Maybe not three years like we've heard, but until he gets his Olympics in 2026 and then retires.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Who is being convinced this roster is competitive next year?

Sid's not going to be here lol. Him not being signed yet is a huge red flag.
Outside of the legacy morons...

Who else here hopes he goes? He has a few years left, seeing what Sullivan and Kyle have done to this team and it's future, why wouldn't you take off to colorado to play with Nate and chase cups a few more times?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Listen while I think Beauvillier is a waste and didn't feel that maybe 3yrs ago when most of us would be thrilled to add him, the one thing he's not is slow. He's a very quick skater. Just insanely inconsistent and invisible when he is. He gives me Heinen flashbacks and I'm still not recovered from that idiotic usage by Sullivan. But yeah the rest, Sullivan thinks he employs a system built for speed but routinely wants slow wankers in his lineup.

I don't see Beauvillier as the replacement for the RW spot Puustinen is in. He's most definitely competition for Doc for 3rd line LW and first line LW duties.

The problem here is - Beauvillier isn't going to make Sids line better defensively, Rakell does that. Doc doesn't either. Beauvillier last year in scoring roles was caved in defensively but on a line with a strong 2way player in a defensive role on his line, he was fine.
Beauvillier isn't slow but Malkin is, Hayes is, Eller is. Acciari is. Rakell is.

We've got a few guys who can skate but like half our forward group is slow as molasses.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Why is anyone shocked at the Sharks signing of Wennberg? It's a cap floor signing by a team that has the space to burn.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Beauvillier isn't slow but Malkin is, Hayes is, Eller is. Acciari is. Rakell is.

We've got a few guys who can skate but like half our forward group is slow as molasses.
Malkin isn't slow and neither is Rakell. The rest I'd sort of agree with but even with Eller you're off. Acciari and Hayes are not quick enough for the roles they're going to be in that's for sure.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Holy shit, the Caps sitting at a $105mil cap situation. Granted, I think Oshie is a LTIR guy but that's only slightly less than $6mil. Given their roster and who they just signed, I can't see who they move out...unless it's big Tom Wilson?

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I do wish they had better servers. Every time it's an important NHL day and you actually *want* to read these forums they lag out because Toronto or Montreal signed a 4th liner and everyone is spamming f5
If we ban all Leaves and Habs fans on this board it'd be a much better place and it'd never lag again.

Reactions: Pancakes

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Everyone talking about cap space when we're going to blow it on a Petersson extension and a Crosby pay raise.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Malkin isn't slow and neither is Rakell. The rest I'd sort of agree with but even with Eller you're off. Acciari and Hayes are not quick enough for the roles they're going to be in that's for sure.
Well regardless of whether you rate Geno/Raks slow I think we'd both agree that they aren't exactly burners at this point.

For a team built on a system predicated on speed we one of the slower rosters in the NHL.

But Sully has no idea how to adjust from the only way he knows how to play.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Holy shit, the Caps sitting at a $105mil cap situation. Granted, I think Oshie is a LTIR guy but that's only slightly less than $6mil. Given their roster and who they just signed, I can't see who they move out...unless it's big Tom Wilson?
Oshie is definitely done and going to be on LTIR. His back is pretty jacked up.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Wait, they are only $4.9mil over and I think Oshie is going to LTIR. That's leaves them with a mil or so. Nevermind.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This roster is so much worse.

I can't believe people are really acting like this roster is same as we entered into last season with.

Cap floor, Empo.
I think some people are glossing over the fact that we had Jake last year. If you want to compare it to what we had to end the season then fine, yeah it's not much worse (or much better) but the downgrade from Jake is real and that does matter.

Reactions: Gurglesons

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think some people are glossing over the fact that we had Jake last year. If you want to compare it to what we had to end the season then fine, yeah it's not much worse (or much better) but the downgrade from Jake is real and that does matter.
Maybe yes, maybe no.

If the PP is solved in any meaningful capacity, DOC steps forward, and the bottom 6 isn't a complete and utter joke to start the year like last year, it might be okay.

But I mean, yes, not having your 40g 1LW is a clear downgrade no matter how you shake it.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Sid's current contract was signed July 1st, then before that July 7th and September 9th.

I mean, I wouldn't say that's a red flag but also any f*** you to Sullivan and Kindergarten Kyle is fine by me to speculate.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Then let him go chase a Cup elsewhere. /shrug

Best for both parties. He gets to compete, this team gets to move on and not be petrified into inaction in an effort to walk on egg shells around Sid.

Still think he re-signs though. Maybe not three years like we've heard, but until he gets his Olympics in 2026 and then retires.
I can see Sid playing to 40. Whether it's in Pittsburgh or not sort of depends on Dubas though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad