GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Last year we nabbed Hinostranza, Zohorna, and Colin White. All three of those guys are the exact signing Beauvillier is right now. NHL experienced depth piece that you hope regains his 40pt level of play. If not, waiver fodder or a HS.

It just means so little in the grand scheme of things that it's truly hard to get upset. You don't have to be happy obviously. You can be "meh" and not become mentally irregular and unstable because of a 1 yr, low $ signing.

Good lord people.
Jansen-Harkins1.jpg.webp

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Trade and Goodleaf

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Okay. To avoid being 'negative' about it - good job ditching Smith. I am not thrilled about retention - those slots are valuable. Is what it is. Hated that signing from day 1. Zucker 2.0 - possibly worse.

But my goodness this team blows ass currently. There's no way this is half in half out [still, have said it for some time now] - rip the damn cord and SELL.

- Do not re sign Petts. Why the F would you consider that.
- Retain half on EK and get a 1st++ (For the record, love the player and would sooner trade Letang but here we are)
- Send Jarry to Europe, or anywhere really.

The thought of an already loser team that couldn't score or defend, replacing Guentzel and Smith with Hayes and a healthy scratch is outright hilarious if the assessment is that an older core is somehow turning things around with worse players. It's genuinely like they have ignored the past 6 years of trend and actually think those clubs were competitive and that father time is irrelevant in that assessment.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas is adding role players and simply will not add a top line winger here. Pens top 6 is pretty good and a couple players emerge and at least the bottom 6 can be much better.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Knowing full well that they intend to compete with Sid on the roster while collecting prospects and draft picks, tell me - what does a A offseason look like?
I'll give him an instant A if he moves all the players I don't like

So far I've bumped him up to a B for moving Reilly Smith's worthless ass

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Dubas is adding role players and simply will not add a top line winger here. Pens top 6 is pretty good and a couple players emerge and at least the bottom 6 can be much better.

Our top 6 is not pretty good

What team is you watching. Tampa is going to have 300 points on line 1 next year. League has like double the amount of 40 goal scorers these days. Meanwhile we have Sid who MIGHT break 90 again and like 2 other players who might break 60. That's being generous.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Knowing full well that they intend to compete with Sid on the roster while collecting prospects and draft picks, tell me - what does a A offseason look like?
An A offseason would be an ambitious overhaul of the blueline and forwards, a new coach and system to take advantage what we actually have, an active, clear-eyed look at the roster and what we actually have.

A B offseason would be us making real strides towards a quicker return, not getting 2027 picks, but getting some quicker picks to hopefully begin the rebuild sooner. This could be one or two rehab projects but mostly finding ways to let young players develop and then ship them out for more assets. It would also not feature Quinn behind the bench.

C is probably what this offseason will be IF Dubas makes some more moves to clear deadweight. Fine, but nothing great. But if we finally get out of the bottom 3 in the PP maybe we'll not be embarrassed.

D is what we're most likely looking at.

E is probably where we'll be next year.

F is a new fresh hell that is yet to come.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Our top 6 is not pretty good

What team is you watching. Tampa is going to have 300 points on line 1 next year. League has like double the amount of 40 goal scorers these days. Meanwhile we have Sid who MIGHT break 90 again and like 2 other players who might break 60. That's being generous.

I'm not sure a team in the East has a worse forward group than us at his point tbh. Montreal is probably the only one. And they have young players who they expect to step up.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I dont know, Im kind of excited the team has finally picked a direction. Looking forward to watching Sid/Geno collect points while the team around them crumbles lol. Will be nice to have no expectations going into the season. Can start getting super into the draft finally as well.

Reactions: orby

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
We have 6 million and we have to sign POJ and some more depth.
Nah, POJ wasn't qualified. He's a UFA. I imagine Gryz was the plan B. So I wouldn't factor POJ in any longer. If he's back, we're talking a 900k or a 1x1.

We just need to find someone that missed on a top 4 LD and convince them to send us a 2nd for Graves.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's funny that people have complained about this team not having a direction for a while now, but as soon as they pick a direction, people are whining that they're making the kind of moves that they're making now.

"Dubas, to his credit, realizes this. He spoke to the media on Friday in Las Vegas and made it abundantly clear that his desire isn’t to construct a team that barely makes the playoffs next season and moving forward. If the Penguins make the playoffs next season, great. But Dubas wants something much bigger, even if it takes time. He wants Crosby to stick around for another undetermined amount of years and, along the way, he wants the captain’s final acts in Pittsburgh to be leading the way for a new era of Penguins hockey. Building a new era is the only goal now."

This team is rebuilding in all but name. I understand the argument of "the rebuild should be more aggressive" to a degree, but complaining about the kind of moves they've made so far (like the Hayes deal, signing Grzelcyk/Beauvillier, retaining on Smith to get a 2nd, ect) is just ignoring that's what rebuilding teams do.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Beau cant possibly be as bad as Jansen Harkins was on the bottom 6 last season so at least he can rest easy at night free to pursue a life of religious fulfillment knowing that much.

BeaverTail

Oct 9, 2014
Okay. To avoid being 'negative' about it - good job ditching Smith. I am not thrilled about retention - those slots are valuable. Is what it is. Hated that signing from day 1. Zucker 2.0 - possibly worse.

But my goodness this team blows ass currently. There's no way this is half in half out [still, have said it for some time now] - rip the damn cord and SELL.

- Do not re sign Petts. Why the F would you consider that.
- Retain half on EK and get a 1st++ (For the record, love the player and would sooner trade Letang but here we are)
- Send Jarry to Europe, or anywhere really.

The thought of an already loser team that couldn't score or defend, replacing Guentzel and Smith with Hayes and a healthy scratch is outright hilarious if the assessment is that an older core is somehow turning things around with worse players. It's genuinely like they have ignored the past 6 years of trend and actually think those clubs were competitive and that father time is irrelevant in that assessment.
Man i dont know how some people function in life. How can someone be so negative and pessimistic. Bros so pessimistic he literally forgot we actually replaced Guentzel with Bunting and we still have 6m and we're literally 3 hours into free agency.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Don’t have a problem with Grezlyk and Beauvillier getting one year deals. Both should be fighting for their NHL lives next season, which should help stave off a small bit of the complacency that has run rampant for a while.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad