GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Tbh I seriously doubt Jarry had any value.

Even though it doesn’t make sense that Markstrom got what he got, recent Vezina winner on short term deal only netted a late 1st and $3M cap dump. Campbell bought out.

Hayes deal = good.

Hoping they flip Bunting in by 2026 TDL, Petts this season, and get what little they can for Smith/Eller.

I’m not saying I expect them to continue to make rebuild type trades. I expect nothing, in fact I expect the worst if you really want to know (team outplays ability enough to finish 1st round exit or slight miss and nobody gets dealt).

I am saying that IF they do make sell off moves, it’s the right plan. I’m not speculating if they will or making a prediction.
And I'm just saying, if Jake hadn't said definitively "I want to test the market" we wouldn't have moved him. Hayes deal would be fine if there were other moves accompanying it. I'm very skeptical there will be because we haven't made those smart moves under this regime unless a player forced it.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
The smartest move for the Pens might be to sign as many cheap, middling players as possible to short term contracts with the hopes of selling them all off for picks over the course of the next 2 trade deadlines.

Reactions: Headshot77

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
And I'm just saying, if Jake hadn't said definitively "I want to test the market" we wouldn't have moved him. Hayes deal would be fine if there were other moves accompanying it. I'm very skeptical there will be because we haven't made those smart moves under this regime unless a player forced it.
Only time will tell

Best case: strip it down
I can live with it: try to compete for Cup
Worst case: do nothing

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Boston fan here.

He sucks, sorry for you guys. He's absurdly soft to the point that he is played entire regular seasons and then benched in the playoffs every season. This has been done by multiple coaches.

He's small and undersized and used to rely on good positioning and excellent skating to play defense. However, his skating has taken a bit of a hit the past few years and now he's mostly a liability on the ice. Don't expect much from him in the way of offense either.

To be fair to him, he was generally placed on the top pair with McAvoy. While he didn't eat any PK or PP minutes, he did play against good competition 5v5 as a result. For him to look like a bit of a liability against elite players means that maybe he was just in over his head and that playing a bottom pairing role in Pittsburgh means he can have a resurgence?
Our new Ruhwedel then....

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
As long as Sid is here, they are going to complete. That means they will sign guys they hope help that goal. Believe it or not, you can be rebuilding and be bad and STILL sign a guy in free agency. It's not like we are signing Tanev or Montour or Jake or Reinhart here.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Boston fan here.

He sucks, sorry for you guys. He's absurdly soft to the point that he is played entire regular seasons and then benched in the playoffs every season. This has been done by multiple coaches.

He's small and undersized and used to rely on good positioning and excellent skating to play defense. However, his skating has taken a bit of a hit the past few years and now he's mostly a liability on the ice. Don't expect much from him in the way of offense either.

To be fair to him, he was generally placed on the top pair with McAvoy. While he didn't eat any PK or PP minutes, he did play against good competition 5v5 as a result. For him to look like a bit of a liability against elite players means that maybe he was just in over his head and that playing a bottom pairing role in Pittsburgh means he can have a resurgence?
Small: check
Not physical: check
Can PK and not provide any offense: : check

Perfect Pens player under Sullivan

Reactions: Trade

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
As long as Sid is here, they are going to complete. That means they will sign guys they hope help that goal. Believe it or not, you can be rebuilding and be bad and STILL sign a guy in free agency. It's not like we are signing Tanev or Montour or Jake or Reinhart here.
I have no probelm with the first sentence. I just think Dubas and Sullivan are too stupid to know what kind of guys help with the former.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Man, good for Stammer!

Preds taking the off-seaon serious! Nabbing a 40g scorer is certainly one way to further compete.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Stamkos without a cross ice playmaking wizard is going to be different…

Also yuck to him in mustard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad