GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Absolutely. But I just hesitate to even think that's going to happen because this team isn't really proactive about making space.

If we want to believe Yohe like we're believing Yohe about the Grzelyck signing, he said that there is interest in Smith from other teams. I really can't imagine Beauvillier is filling the L1 role that Yohe mentioned, but trading Smith and letting Puustinen and Beauvillier battle it out for the 3rd line RW spot isn't a bad idea.

I don't know why they want to trade Smith so much, but it seems like the plan is to have this top-9:

FA-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor-Eller-Puustinen/FA

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
For sure.

Back to space though, CapFriendly only has us at $7 and change for free cap space at the moment.
With POJ needing resigned. I would say in FA, we probably have $4mil max to sign a LW, which makes Arvidsson a good target.

Need space for POJ and then we need some breathing room for call ups. Or we send Smith or Eller or Acciari out.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think you seriously misunderstand my point.

IF this team is actually going to continue to make Guentzel and Hayes deals, they are moving in correct direction- in my opinion.

IF they do absolutely nothing more - not good.

Either way, I do not care about Beauvillier and Gryzelcyk unless the $ is stupid. Except to laugh at Gryz’s ties to Boston/BU/Quinn.
Yes, but I think you misunderstand my point as well. Any cap savings we made with trading Guentzel? It's gone. So, sure we need to trade contracts out. But we had a hot goalie market and we didn't trade a goalie that had value. We didn't trade any of our players with value last season until Jake absolutely forced our hand.

I just don't see some pattern of good moves that I feel gives any justification for saying we'll do it in the future.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yes, but I think you misunderstand my point as well. Any cap savings we made with trading Guentzel? It's gone. So, sure we need to trade contracts out. But we had a hot goalie market and we didn't trade a goalie that had value. We didn't trade any of our players with value last season until Jake absolutely forced our hand.

I just don't see some pattern of good moves that I feel gives any justification for saying we'll do it in the future.
I thought the point was to trade out some of our vets and get younger hungrier guys playing….i guess not lol

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If we want to believe Yohe like we're believing Yohe about the Grzelyck signing, he said that there is interest in Smith from other teams. I really can't imagine Beauvillier is filling the L1 role that Yohe mentioned, but trading Smith and letting Puustinen and Beauvillier battle it out for the 3rd line RW spot isn't a bad idea.

I don't know why they want to trade Smith so much, but it seems like the plan is to have this top-9:

FA-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor-Eller-Puustinen/FA
I absolutely do not believe Yohe. I'm just saying there really isn't much room to improve at the moment and nobody seems interested in taking our players for anything short of us taking on significant cap. So, as much as I would like there to be some sort of rhyme or reason to believe in big changes, I just don't really see how it works at the moment.

Again, as always, I'd love to be wrong.

Reactions: Kiith Nabaal

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
That Tanev contract might be an albatross half way through next season. Betting on a 35 year olds body to hold up is an interesting strategy

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Montour getting PAID! Man is that going to look bad for Seattle in a couple of years. But I'm happy for them.

Bertuzzi in Chicago is a good move. That's market value for him and he should provide plenty for Bedard.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not sure AB is an improvement over DOC at this point.

I don't think Beauvillier would be pushing O'Connor to L3, I think Beauvillier would be battling it out with Puustinen for the 3rd line RW spot.

My guess is that they want another guy to play with Crosby in FA and the 3rd line to be O'Connor-Eller-Puustinen/Beauvillier in that case.

• Haha
Reactions: Gurglesons

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Why don't we like Grzelcyk? Looking at his stats he seems fine. It's a genuine question.
Boston fan here.

He sucks, sorry for you guys. He's absurdly soft to the point that he is played entire regular seasons and then benched in the playoffs every season. This has been done by multiple coaches.

He's small and undersized and used to rely on good positioning and excellent skating to play defense. However, his skating has taken a bit of a hit the past few years and now he's mostly a liability on the ice. Don't expect much from him in the way of offense either.

To be fair to him, he was generally placed on the top pair with McAvoy. While he didn't eat any PK or PP minutes, he did play against good competition 5v5 as a result. For him to look like a bit of a liability against elite players means that maybe he was just in over his head and that playing a bottom pairing role in Pittsburgh means he can have a resurgence?

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Boston fan here.

He sucks, sorry for you guys. He's absurdly soft to the point that he is played entire regular seasons and then benched in the playoffs every season. This has been done by multiple coaches.

He's small and undersized and used to rely on good positioning and excellent skating to play defense. However, his skating has taken a bit of a hit the past few years and now he's mostly a liability on the ice. Don't expect much from him in the way of offense either.

To be fair to him, he was generally placed on the top pair with McAvoy. While he didn't eat any PK or PP minutes, he did play against good competition 5v5 as a result. For him to look like a bit of a liability against elite players means that maybe he was just in over his head and that playing a bottom pairing role in Pittsburgh means he can have a resurgence?
He’ll in all likelihood will be on our bottom pairing. Hopefully by sheltering him a bit there he can be manageable.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Any cap savings we made with trading Guentzel? It's gone. So, sure we need to trade contracts out. But we had a hot goalie market and we didn't trade a goalie that had value. We didn't trade any of our players with value last season until Jake absolutely forced our hand.
Tbh I seriously doubt Jarry had any value.

Even though it doesn’t make sense that Markstrom got what he got, recent Vezina winner on short term deal only netted a late 1st and $3M cap dump. Campbell bought out.

Hayes deal = good.

Hoping they flip Bunting in by 2026 TDL, Petts this season, and get what little they can for Smith/Eller.

I’m not saying I expect them to continue to make rebuild type trades. I expect nothing, in fact I expect the worst if you really want to know (team outplays ability enough to finish 1st round exit or slight miss and nobody gets dealt).

I am saying that IF they do make sell off moves, it’s the right plan. I’m not speculating if they will or making a prediction.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Boston fan here.

To Mike Sullivan, this post is sweeter than wine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad