Value of: Frank Vatrano

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dickfoligno

Apr 5, 2020
29 years old, contract factors into next season as well, would be a long term rental. 14 goals and is Anaheim’s leading scorer.

Should Anaheim sell high? And what would the return be?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Anaheim should just keep him. They really lack wingers and he seems to really be clicking with McTavish.

Sometimes something just clicks for a player later in their career than others and they hit a new level.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Frankie is streaky, but he's is a great team player and a blue-collar leader that the Ducks need. He's on a great contract so he's not going anywhere until next year's trade deadline.

Reactions: Rooch

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Vatrano also had a really weird development path. Over 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 he only played 26 games, including only one game in 2013-14. When he came up to Boston his fundamentals were laughably undeveloped, but his shot was too good for him to play in the AHL. I know we are talking about 10 years ago, but he has also had to learn at the NHL level more than most and never played more than 44 NHL games in a season until 2018-2019. I guess the point I am trying to make is that while he is 29 years old, him being a late bloomer by a few years because of his development path isn't crazy. Would be smart for Anaheim to hope that is the case and try to reap the rewards.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Ducks should be moving out of the rebuild. If the team is still terrible in the last year of his contract (next year?), they may move him at the TDL but they need vet wingers to insulate the kids. Henrique and Silf will be gone either at this TDL or the summer at the latest, so for next year that leaves Vatrano, Strome, Zegras/Lundestrom (one will be C), Killorn, Terry as top 9 wingers. Moving Vatrano means having to fill 2 holes, and there probably isn't going to be 2 other kids to fill spots. My guess is Jones/Perrault/maybe a FA fight for that last spot.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Vatrano also had a really weird development path. Over 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 he only played 26 games, including only one game in 2013-14. When he came up to Boston his fundamentals were laughably undeveloped, but his shot was too good for him to play in the AHL. I know we are talking about 10 years ago, but he has also had to learn at the NHL level more than most and never played more than 44 NHL games in a season until 2018-2019. I guess the point I am trying to make is that while he is 29 years old, him being a late bloomer by a few years because of his development path isn't crazy. Would be smart for Anaheim to hope that is the case and try to reap the rewards.

Getting a chance to be more than a 3rd line energy guy is also something that's likely a factor. Perhaps a combination of opening slots on a young team, chemistry with a budding star (MacTavish), and having coaches trust is all that's needed to explain his offensive emergence.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Getting a chance to be more than a 3rd line energy guy is also something that's likely a factor. Perhaps a combination of opening slots on a young team, chemistry with a budding star (MacTavish), and having coaches trust is all that's needed to explain his offensive emergence.

Yeah he started in Boston with a prime Krejci, so he had a chance, but he was also just not good at anything but shooting the puck from anywhere with no thought at the time since that would work for him at lower levels.

Reactions: theVladiator

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I didn't realize the season he's having. Really turned into a heck of a player

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
29 years old, contract factors into next season as well, would be a long term rental. 14 goals and is Anaheim’s leading scorer.

Should Anaheim sell high? And what would the return be?
Ducks should do what is in their best interests, which is prob to keep and extend, not deal, unless return is high enuf in desired currency.

What teams could cough up such assets esp given overall tight cap picture is hard to immediately say.
Not impossible, but difficult to see
unless suitor wants to over overpay or ANA wants to not max return

Reactions: lwvs84

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Yeah he started in Boston with a prime Krejci, so he had a chance, but he was also just not good at anything but shooting the puck from anywhere with no thought at the time since that would work for him at lower levels.
There was also something about him coming in kind of out of shape his first year and having bad nutrition habits. It wasn’t made to be a big deal, but either the coach or the GM said something to the media about it being disappointing. If he wasn’t in good NHL condition his first year, all the harder for him to to stick.

He’s had a nice career, good for him. Always good to see a kid from UMass make it.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
There was also something about him coming in kind of out of shape his first year and having bad nutrition habits. It wasn’t made to be a big deal, but either the coach or the GM said something to the media about it being disappointing. If he wasn’t in good NHL condition his first year, all the harder for him to to stick.

He’s had a nice career, good for him. Always good to see a kid from UMass make it.

There are better jobs for your parents to have than one that has free pizza and subs when you are trying to make the show: WATCH: Vatrano makes pizza in Road to Winter Classic

Reactions: Kalus

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Maybe a 1st, certainly not with anything else remotely appetizing on top of the 1st though.

I’m thinking more of a 2nd and a long shot prospect

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I could see a late 1st and B level prospect for Vatrano with some sort of retention. Tbh I think he'd be a good fit as a 2nd line guy on quite a few teams around the league.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Ducks should do what is in their best interests, which is prob to keep and extend, not deal, unless return is high enuf in desired currency.

What teams could cough up such assets esp given overall tight cap picture is hard to immediately say.
Not impossible, but difficult to see
unless suitor wants to over overpay or ANA wants to not max return
I think that's sort of the reason, right? Hoping for that over pay. More than half his goals came in 3 games. But also he's at an incredible 15th place for shots on net amoung the NHL.

Do they think Frank the Tank is going to do this again next season, or keep it up through-out the rest of the season? If so, you got yourself a good trade piece, or potentially you have a piece to continue going forward with. But they aren't a playoff team this season, and who knows about next, so if you can find a team throwing more at you than you would have received for him initially, it might be worth making the move rather than waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad