Recalled/Assigned: Frank Corrado (AHL), Zach Hamill (AHL), and Brendan Gaunce (OHL) sent down

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Jesus some of you guys are acting like Corrado getting sent down is the end of the season.

Pack it up boys, Frankie got sent down.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Could it have anything to do with Corrado's contract status vs. Weber's? I'd agree that Corrado's the better player, particularly in his own zone. He'll be back as soon as somebody gets hurt which is never far off.

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
Jesus some of you guys are acting like Corrado getting sent down is the end of the season.

Pack it up boys, Frankie got sent down.

I think MS put it best:

The guy made the team. Badly outplayed the two established players ahead of him.

This comes after all the talk heading into camp about 'veterans losing jobs' and 'young guys needing to step up'. Alberts was just horrendous, as bad as he could possibly be. He should have lost his job. Awful player.

What message are Canucks sending when a player as awful as Alberts and who couldn't have played worse makes the team over Corrado?

And the whole waiver thing, I wouldn't be worried about any team claiming Alberts, and he's easily replaceable if for some reason a team did claim him.

ferroid

Mar 22, 2010
Corrado's demotion is understandable when you consider the lack of NHL ready defenders on the farm.

Imagine a scenario where Frankie is kept up, and Alberts is waived and claimed. One injury to the defence would have Weber slotting in with likely Andersson or Tommernes called up. With two injuries to the defence, both Andersson and Tommernes would be on our roster. With three injuries, the next in line would likely be Sauve.

The Canucks simply have piss-poor defensive depth on the farm this year, and it would be awful assert management to lose an NHL proven defence man (however suspect Alberts' play had been this season) in such a circumstance.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The context is the pre-season. They have their book on Alberts via the games he played for them. Could it be that his bad pre-season showing doesn't really impact his standing here? Same for Weber, who also has a pro record?

I know we disagree with this, but it is the right move IMO. This also allows the team to better make moves now with an open roster spot, and not carrying 8 Dmen.

This is more about the organization rather than the team itself.

Disagree completely.

Why spew this rubbish about 'veterans losing spots' if the fringiest veteran on the team can play like an ECHLer, while a prospect like Corrado stands on his head and is cut?

It's a joke. Rosters were set from day 1, and nobody had a chance of competing for them, aside from the two #1 picks who were anointed spots, Nonis-style, despite looking completely unready.

Corrado looks like he can play and make a contribution. He wouldn't be short of icetime. And he increases our chances of actually *winning games* relative to the scrubs replacing him, and isn't that the main point?

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Disagree completely.

Why spew this rubbish about 'veterans losing spots' if the fringiest veteran on the team can play like an ECHLer, while a prospect like Corrado stands on his head and is cut?

It's a joke. Rosters were set from day 1, and nobody had a chance of competing for them, aside from the two #1 picks who were anointed spots, Nonis-style, despite looking completely unready.

Corrado looks like he can play and make a contribution. He wouldn't be short of icetime. And he increases our chances of actually *winning games* relative to the scrubs replacing him, and isn't that the main point?

I agree with MS completely.

Worse comes to worse if we lose Alberts/Weber on waivers, we pick up another D on waivers.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Disagree completely.

I think you have more of a problem with what was said rather than how teams actually behave.

How would Corrado not be short of ice time given a #6 role here vs. a top pairing role in Utica?

Winning games is not a A vs B proposition. The expectation is that Alberts returns to form over regular season games. Same with Weber. The pre-season alone does not dispute that. Then, there's the chance of adding to the roster given Corrado's demotion. So the team could be made stronger because of this move, potentially. Resulting in a stronger _organization_ in the end.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I agree with MS completely.

Worse comes to worse if we lose Alberts/Weber on waivers, we pick up another D on waivers.

Alberts would clear waivers. We were the only team interested in him during the offseason, and he's managed to substantially lower his stock with his ghastly play during the preseason. And getting a replacement wouldn't actually be hard - nearly anything would be an upgrade.

This whole situation blows my mind. Gutless management. I thought Gillis was better than this.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Disagree completely.

Agree. The other factor is if one of the dman gets a small injury, Alberts comes in and we get the dreaded, Weber Alberts pairing.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
I don't get why we're keeping Horvat up over Gaunce. Gaunce has looked better of the two, is further along in his development, and has less to gain from another year in junior.

It's likely either one would be temporary anyways though, until Schroeder comes back, but still.

Probably because Gaunce will be able to develop better in the AHL rather than Horvat in Junior. Also Bo showed signs of progression while Gaunce stagnated.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think you have more of a problem with what was said rather than how teams actually behave.

How would Corrado not be short of ice time given a #6 role here vs. a top pairing role in Utica?

Winning games is not a A vs B proposition. The expectation is that Alberts returns to form over regular season games. Same with Weber. The pre-season alone does not dispute that. Then, there's the chance of adding to the roster given Corrado's demotion. So the team could be made stronger because of this move, potentially. Resulting in a stronger _organization_ in the end.

Alberts has been a terrible defender here for years, save for a decent 10-15 game stretch last year where he upped his game to 'kind of OK'.

He was barely brought back, and he should have lost his job to a rookie.

And yeah, Corrado wouldn't be short of icetime. He'd be getting a regular shift in the NHL, and contributing.

We're keeping Horvat to stick him on the 4th line next to Sestito - that's the sort of situation to wonder about, not Corrado being a regular and playing 17 minutes/game or so.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Agree. The other factor is if one of the dman gets a small injury, Alberts comes in and we get the dreaded, Weber Alberts pairing.

No kidding.

And that's the main thing, when push comes to shove. Icing the best team. Corrado looked very good. Alberts-Weber looked beyond dreadful, and we won't be winning games with both of them in the lineup.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Alberts has been a terrible defender here for years, save for a decent 10-15 game stretch last year where he upped his game to 'kind of OK'.

And yeah, Corrado wouldn't be short of icetime. He'd be getting a regular shift in the NHL, and contributing.

We're keeping Horvat to stick him on the 4th line next to Sestito - that's the sort of situation to wonder about, not Corrado being a regular and playing 17 minutes/game or so.

I wonder if Horvat is being kept just so Gillis can say see Horvath made the team out of camp.

IMO Horvath and Shinkaruk both should be sent down. They are not ready yet.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

It was longer than a 10-15 game stretch MS, but OK let's go with that. So this actually means he played better during the regular season, in the recent past, over this pre-season correct?

Corrado would be playing less in a #6 role. Sorry, that just makes no sense. 17 min a game is... ambitious. In any event, top pairing min in Utica would put him at 20 or more.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Alberts would clear waivers. We were the only team interested in him during the offseason, and he's managed to substantially lower his stock with his ghastly play during the preseason. And getting a replacement wouldn't actually be hard - nearly anything would be an upgrade.

This whole situation blows my mind. Gutless management. I thought Gillis was better than this.
I would think no one's stock ever goes up or down in pre-season.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I wonder if Horvath is being kept just so Gillis can say see Horvath made the team out of camp.

IMO Horvath and Shinkaruk both should be sent down. They are not ready yet.

Who the Frick is Horvath???

:sarcasm:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It was longer than a 10-15 game stretch MS, but OK let's go with that. So this actually means he played better during the regular season, in the recent past, over this pre-season correct?

Corrado would be playing less in a #6 role. Sorry, that just makes no sense. 17 min a game is... ambitious. In any event, top pairing min in Utica would put him at 20 or more.

I'm actually trying to be generous on Alberts. I still thought he wasn't very good last season. He got away from making obvious mistakes, but his gap control still stunk and our offense died when he was on the ice. Over his last 16 games of the season, when he was 'playing well', he was a -9.

And again, if we care so much about icetime and development, why are we sticking a less-ready, younger prospect into a much smaller role?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad