Proposal: Fowler to Sabres Revisited

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
We need to protect Lindholm, Vats, and either one of Fowler or Manson (Bieksa will be bought out before the expansion). It's not that nightmare of scenario for us like you're making it out to be.
Is there a buyout period before the expansion?

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
It's not to dump salary?

he only makes 4 mill lmao camp dumps are stoner and bieksa. They can probably have all 3 of fowler, lindholm, and vatanen signed for less than 15 mil. The expansion draft is the real problem

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
he only makes 4 mill lmao camp dumps are stoner and bieksa. They can probably have all 3 of fowler, lindholm, and vatanen signed for less than 15 mil. The expansion draft is the real problem

This is how i understand it as well - although I also understand salary space would be beneficial to anyone not least Anaheim.

Which is why I made the point about the Sabres not having enough salary space to make a proper bid for Fowler.

For example - a situation where instead of the OP the Sabres could offer Girgs, 1st & say, McCabe for Fowler & Stoner. I'd imagine that would look more attractive from a Ducks POV but I'm not sure the Sabres could make it work unless we could move Kane or even just send a pick to some other team to unload Franson

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
It's not to dump salary?

Stoner and Bieksa maybe Despres are players to dump because of salary. Fowler is to bring back a forward that helps us win now.

This is how i understand it as well - although I also understand salary space would be beneficial to anyone not least Anaheim.

Which is why I made the point about the Sabres not having enough salary space to make a proper bid for Fowler.

For example - a situation where instead of the OP the Sabres could offer Girgs, 1st & say, McCabe for Fowler & Stoner. I'd imagine that would look more attractive from a Ducks POV but I'm not sure the Sabres could make it work unless we could move Kane or even just send a pick to some other team to unload Franson

If Ducks trade Fowler we want a better win now piece. McCabe is a defenseman trading for defenseman is not something we are interested in.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Stoner and Bieksa maybe Despres are players to dump because of salary. Fowler is to bring back a forward that helps us win now.

If Ducks trade Fowler we want a better win now piece. McCabe is a defenseman trading for defenseman is not something we are interested in.

Fowler is a win now piece, so if that's where the ducks actually are, all this is moot.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

I figured that since you would be losing two D in Fowler & Stoner you would want a young, cheap, cost controlled D in return. Substitute him for an equivalent forward then - my point still stands.

Being able to take on a contract like Stoner's would be a huge advantage to Buffalo or anyone else for that matter looking to trade for Fowler.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Fowler is a win now piece, so if that's where the ducks actually are, all this is moot.
Fowler's a win-now piece, but one who's getting usurped by Lindholm and in the near future probably Theo as the team's best LD. He's also the easiest cap space to move out on the team (while Stoner is a pure cap dump and Bieksa has his utterly stupid NMC), hence why a trade for a guy like Ryan Spooner who makes just over 1M this year should be so attractive to us right now.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Seem Ducks fans don't comprehend their salary cap dilemma and that the rest of the league does - Ducks have little leverage when it comes to whichever player they decide to dump to get under the cap. They also have the expansion draft to worry about. But first things first, some player is getting traded in the next month, so who's that going to be?

mytduxfan*

We could certainly do with a win-now forward and could afford to lose Fowler in the process. However, "yes", if all that is being offered is weak prospects and high risk picks, then I'm sure we'll just hold onto Fowler.

Seem Ducks fans don't comprehend their salary cap dilemma and that the rest of the league does - Ducks have little leverage when it comes to whichever player they decide to dump to get under the cap. They also have the expansion draft to worry about. But first things first, some player is getting traded in the next month, so who's that going to be?

Unless you know exactly what our internal budget is this year and how much Lindholm and Rakell will sign for, you have about as much of a clue about ANA's "salary cap dilemma" as we do. Given how much us Duck fans know and how surprised we were to sign Vermette, I'm going to assume you don't know **** either.

Expansion draft is an issue and BM has stated that, but that's next year. Regardless, I very much doubt anyone is going to miss an opportunity to acquire Fowler in order to "squeeze" BM. Why is it that some fans on here seem to think that the entire league is going to collude in order to ensure we get nothing of value for Fowler. You do realise that all 30 teams in the league are competing against one another. Yes, I'm sure TOR is going to refuse to pay a fair price for Fowler so CHI can get him for a 1st round pick. :shakehead

IMO, a deal for Fowler has already been agreed. It's just a question of getting Lindholm signed. Trading Fowler now would suddenly make Lindholm much more important and, thus, more valuable. BM is smart not to give him that kind of leverage.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

That's an interesting take. More likely, we're well aware of what our situation is, as much as we can be, and it's being exaggerated by some.

Is the team in a tight spot? You bet. And you can bet we're well aware of that. Do we know how tight that spot is? No, and neither do you. Does Anaheim have options? Of course they do. Will sacrifices need to be made? Almost certainly. The degree of that remains to be seen, but it seems that a number of people are assuming that the team will need to sell low on quality assets.

But if you're trying to convince us that we have to take a poor return for a good player, you comprehend Anaheim's situation far less than you think.

Edit: The big assumption being made here seems to be that because Fowler hasn't been moved, Murray hasn't been able to find takers, and needs to lower his price. That's certainly possible, but it isn't the only possibility, and believe it or not, Murray would comprehend Anaheim's cap situation better than anyone else here. Murray may not be as desperate to move Fowler as the OP suggested. He may be considering other alternatives. Carlyle is very high on Fowler, and he may be pushing Murray to hold on to him. Murray may even have a deal on the table for Fowler, and is waiting to sign Lindholm. Ownership may even be willing to loosen the purse strings a bit. There are a number of possibilities, and I think we, that is Anaheim fans, comprehend that pretty well. Not all of them end with Anaheim getting screwed in a deal to gain some breathing room, as much as you might like that to be the case.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Get under the cap?

Nobody knows what their cap is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad