Proposal: Fowler to Sabres Revisited

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
1. The Ducks just have to dump a defenseman (maybe even multiple defensemen, depending on their internal cap and the Lindholm negotiations) in the next month.
2. Chicago and Florida have shown us that the price to dump cap is pretty high this summer -- like, throw in a good young roster player or blue chip prospect. I'm not sure the Ducks will be able to just package Stoner/Despres with a minor asset and get out of trouble.
3. Seemed like on Draft Weekend, everybody was on notice to make their Fowler pitches. Buffalo might not have had the best one, but no one blew their doors off. I doubt the market has grown any larger.
4. Buffalo still needs a top pairing LHD, and they could just fit Fowler in with the right deal.

Fowler

for

Girgensons, 2017 1st

Obviously not the return Ducks fans would like most, but I'm thinking we're getting towards the phase of the offseason where they might have to make a move that isn't their ideal return if they're going to clear the space for Lindholm. Girgensons saves them money while giving them a very versatile, 200 ft young forward with a good chance, IMO, to rebound offensively.

Flame away.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
1. The Ducks just have to dump a defenseman (maybe even multiple defensemen, depending on their internal cap and the Lindholm negotiations) in the next month.
2. Chicago and Florida have shown us that the price to dump cap is pretty high this summer -- like, throw in a good young roster player or blue chip prospect. I'm not sure the Ducks will be able to just package Stoner/Despres with a minor asset and get out of trouble.
3. Seemed like on Draft Weekend, everybody was on notice to make their Fowler pitches. Buffalo might not have had the best one, but no one blew their doors off. I doubt the market has grown any larger.
4. Buffalo still needs a top pairing LHD, and they could just fit Fowler in with the right deal.

Fowler

for

Girgensons, 2017 1st

Obviously not the return Ducks fans would like most, but I'm thinking we're getting towards the phase of the offseason where they might have to make a move that isn't their ideal return if they're going to clear the space for Lindholm. Girgensons saves them money while giving them a very versatile, 200 ft young forward with a good chance, IMO, to rebound offensively.

Flame away.

We trade Fowler we need a better win now piece trading Fowler is all about that win now piece. Fowler added to the Sabres for Girgensons and it will help boost the Sabres in the standings so who knows where that 1st lands.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA

Fowler

for

Girgensons, 2017 1st

Flame away.

I wouldn't do the deal, but I don't think it's flame worthy either.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We trade Fowler we need a better win now piece trading Fowler is all about that win now piece. Fowler added to the Sabres for Girgensons and it will help boost the Sabres in the standings so who knows where that 1st lands.

The point being that if Anaheim does trade Fowler it isn't because they want to but because they have to.

At that point, Murray would have very little leverage hence why the return isn't great.

We shall see what happens, I have to think the Ducks would much rather trade away someone else and keep Fowler rather than treat him as a cap dump.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Seems to me if the only point is shedding salary and not chasing a return the pieces to be moved are more along the lines of Stoner/Despres than Fowler. A team looking for cap space doesn't generally pick the one of their more valuable trade pieces to dump for a meh at best return. The only way I can see them treating Fowler as a salary dump is if they find someone who will take Stoner or a similar piece as well.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
We shall see what happens, I have to think the Ducks would much rather trade away someone else and keep Fowler rather than treat him as a cap dump.
They really can't. As it stands they're likely going to have to leave Fowler, Despers and Silfverberg unprotected.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
They really can't. As it stands they're likely going to have to leave Fowler, Despers and Silfverberg unprotected.

Uhh, might want to check that again.

We'll probably expose Despres. If we still have Fowler, we'll protect him and just buyout Bieksa so we don't have to protect him.

So in summary, protected forwards: Getz, Perry, Kes, Silf, Rakell, Cogs, and whatever good forward we have left.

Protected defensemen, Lindholm, Vats, Fowler/Manson (depending on if we still have Fowler or not).

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The point being that if Anaheim does trade Fowler it isn't because they want to but because they have to.

At that point, Murray would have very little leverage hence why the return isn't great.

Who would that someone else be ???

Buffalo doesnt need him and can wait till the price they will accept.

An issue that needs to be in lay is the issue of the waiver draft and protection a player. If Buffalo acquired Fowler they would be forced to either protect 4 Dmen or expose 3 more forwards.

This risk of losing players also needs to factor into the trade value.

Anaheim is up against the wall with many Dmen that they need to protect so they expose a Dman or expose 3 more forwards.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Who would that someone else be ???

Buffalo doesnt need him and can wait till the price they will accept.

An issue that needs to be in lay is the issue of the waiver draft and protection a player. If Buffalo acquired Fowler they would be forced to either protect 4 Dmen or expose 3 more forwards.

This risk of losing players also needs to factor into the trade value.

Anaheim is up against the wall with many Dmen that they need to protect so they expose a Dman or expose 3 more forwards.

We need to protect Lindholm, Vats, and either one of Fowler or Manson (Bieksa will be bought out before the expansion). It's not that nightmare of scenario for us like you're making it out to be.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

We don't have to trade Fowler we can do something else to lower salary some. A lot of teams are interested in a defenseman like Fowler a team isn't going to risk playing low ball when another team could offer something better and get him.

Oct 18, 2011
ducks are not trading their 2nd best dman for a player that scored 18 points last year, and a pick they need a top 6 forward and girgensons is not one

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
No thank you, I'm not trading the 2017 1st and Girgs for a so-so 2/3 Dman with D zone trouble. Not to mention it would strap us financially with only 4 to 5 mil left for Risto's contract. And I'd much rather not be stuck with a bridge deal with Risto. Not to mention we'd end up losing him more than likely to the expansion draft.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Purely for the entertainment value of Fowler and Ristolainen as a pair, this needs to happen.

Oh. The pretty charts so so colorful with lines and numerical symbols all representing unreliable data. The joy to be had.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Oh. The pretty charts so so colorful with lines and numerical symbols all representing unreliable data. The joy to be had.

You sound like Rangers fans before they admitted Girardi sucks.

Don't worry, it took them like seven years.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Value is good, just doesn't fit our needs right now.

Tatar + from Red Wings

Tatar makes $2,750,000 this season and then is still a RFA. He is a left shooting LW something our GM would like.

Rather have Spooner+ from Boston. Almost 2 million cheaper than Tatar and we don't have to compromise a whole lot in talent.

I have a lot to say (I've had to deal with a stat-head on another site I go on and the things he says are sometimes hilarious) but I'll just start here: Corsi isn't perfect. It produces a ton of anomalies when broken down, primarily because it's expected to be that perfect defensive stat (even though it's not) and when it's relied upon, it falters just like every other stat there is and hockey scientists find they've still failed to create a tell-all stat.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Don't see a spot on the roster for Girg, who I believe is a center.

He can play left wing as well, although historically has been better at center. But the possibility to put him on Kesler`s left gives me excitement.

But yeah the current value(players) coming back seems a bit too low of what we are looking for but on paper the value is not that bad i think. Depends on what other teams would pay.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Girardi was decent at one time the fact that he broke down and has sucked and now "Ranger fans" finally admit it doesn't really help your case

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I have a lot to say (I've had to deal with a stat-head on another site I go on and the things he says are sometimes hilarious) but I'll just start here: Corsi isn't perfect. It produces a ton of anomalies when broken down, primarily because it's expected to be that perfect defensive stat (even though it's not) and when it's relied upon, it falters just like every other stat there is and hockey scientists find they've still failed to create a tell-all stat.

Corsi isn't perfect but we're talking about players who are erroneously bad at it.

Goals aren't perfect either, but if you can't score 10 goals over a large sample, you're probably bad at scoring goals.

Girardi was decent at one time the fact that he broke down and has sucked and now "Ranger fans" finally admit it doesn't really help your case

Yeah the old "Girardi used to be good but but but injuries" argument.

He always sucked.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
No thank you, I'm not trading the 2017 1st and Girgs for a so-so 2/3 Dman with D zone trouble. Not to mention it would strap us financially with only 4 to 5 mil left for Risto's contract. And I'd much rather not be stuck with a bridge deal with Risto. Not to mention we'd end up losing him more than likely to the expansion draft.

All of this. Losing him in a year and not valuing Girgensons makes no sense.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The Ducks missed the boat on selling a D-man to Buffalo. Sabres went out and got Kulikov on the cheap instead, and there's that.

At the sort of prices offered, the Ducks easily made the right call in simply hanging on to their quality puck-moving Top-3 Defenceman in Fowler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad