OT: Former Pred Talk

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Sam Girard and the 2nd couldve been much better spent. He didnt really hit injury issues until after his ELC was up so wouldve had time to build trade value and flip him for something that wasnt a longterm 2M per year buyout
Girard would never have played a minute over Josi and Ekholm and at the time Turris was 2nd center for a team that made the Eastern finals. Sucks that it turned out the way it did, but I've got no hate for that deal.

Reactions: Kat Predator

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Girard would never have played a minute over Josi and Ekholm and at the time Turris was 2nd center for a team that made the Eastern finals. Sucks that it turned out the way it did, but I've got no hate for that deal.
Nah i understand in its context.

We cant draft and develop centers making Turris a necessity
We got a surplus on defense making Girard expendable

Just disagree that none of what we sent were a big loss. Girard is the best dman we have drafted in a several years.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Just disagree that none of what we sent were a big loss. Girard is the best dman we have drafted in a several years.
Which says something cause Girard ain't that great.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

I don't think we would have gotten much more for Girard than what we did, we traded him at the right time.

Reactions: bdub24 and PredsV82

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
No doubt on that. Girard is way overrated around here. If I remember correctly he barely even played in their cup run.
Wasn’t that when he got hurt? Either way I agree Girard is nothing special. He came out super strongly and then just never really seemed to improve much. I personally prefer Carrier over him and I’m not even a huge Carrier fan.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
No doubt on that. Girard is way overrated around here. If I remember correctly he barely even played in their cup run.
2nd pairing minutes until he got injured is an odd way of barely playing. Even this playoffs he was 3rd in TOI for their dmen getting 23 mins a game. We may think he is overrated but Colorado trust him on the ice. Due to his injury history, id rather pay Carrier than him but that doesnt make Carrier the better player when healthy

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
2nd pairing minutes until he got injured is an odd way of barely playing. Even this playoffs he was 3rd in TOI for their dmen getting 23 mins a game. We may think he is overrated but Colorado trust him on the ice. Due to his injury history, id rather pay Carrier than him but that doesnt make Carrier the better player when healthy
Yeah but my point is he got injured and no one even noticed. Heck I remember Colorado fans being happy he wasn't playing.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It's just insane what these guys decide to play through. From the article:

"The sequence of events is important to remember here. During the opening game of the 2017-18 season, Weber took a Jack Eichel slap shot off the top of his left foot. It broke his foot near his ankle, a very sensitive spot. He continued playing regardless because, as he said at the time, he had played through foot fractures before. Playing on the foot resulted in significant tendon damage in his ankle, and it ultimately needed a very rare and delicate surgery."

The worst part is the Canadiens went 29-40-13 that year so he destroyed his ankle to contribute to a losing season. I really do think the play through injury mindset does more harm than good. I totally get it when you're deep in a playoff run but if he'd just decided to take a couple months off after the foot fracture he'd likely have avoided the chronic ankle injury.

• Wow
Reactions: bdub24 and PredsV82

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

"The sequence of events is important to remember here. During the opening game of the 2017-18 season, Weber took a Jack Eichel slap shot off the top of his left foot. It broke his foot near his ankle, a very sensitive spot. He continued playing regardless because, as he said at the time, he had played through foot fractures before. Playing on the foot resulted in significant tendon damage in his ankle, and it ultimately needed a very rare and delicate surgery."

The worst part is the Canadiens went 29-40-13 that year so he destroyed his ankle to contribute to a losing season. I really do think the play through injury mindset does more harm than good. I totally get it when you're deep in a playoff run but if he'd just decided to take a couple months off after the foot fracture he'd likely have avoided the chronic ankle injury.
Agreed. Some guys have absolutely destroyed their bodies. It isnt just their professional careers either. Itll limit them for the rest of their lives and make life painful doing basic family things like playing a softball game. At some point, the NHL and players need to recalibrate themselves on what is important

Reactions: bdub24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

If that had been the playoffs I might could see it, but for the first game of the season if I'm the team I'm not even giving him the option. Frankly I put that on Montreal management as much as I do the player. Someone should be trying to save the player from themselves at some point.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Probably wouldn't have made a difference but I'm sure he wishes he had been fully healthy the year the Habs made the SC finals during COVID.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Probably wouldn't have made a difference but I'm sure he wishes he had been fully healthy the year the Habs made the SC finals during COVID.
Oh I'm sure he is looking back at it now and regretting it. Not only would he have been in better shape for that, he probably plays a couple of more years as well. I kind of think he would have still ended up on LTIR eventually but he might have gotten another year or two out of it if he wanted.

Reactions: hockey diva

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad