Former Player Research/Help Needed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
So about 10 years ago one of the executives from my company gave me this old goalie stick. He said it was in his garage and can't remember how he obtained it or the story behind it. He thought I'd enjoy the nostalgia since I play net.

As soon as he gave it to me I went on the internet to find out who this belongs to. I couldn't uncover anything, but I admittedly spent only like 10 minutes digging. It's been in my office since that time and I committed more research to it recently but still no luck.

If anyone can point me in a more specific direction I'd be grateful!

I only took a couple of pictures. If you need more I can supply them. Note on the blade there is some handwriting but it's completely blurry. The only words I can make out are "To Felix..." so it appears the owner of this stick was autographing it.

I would assume this goalie was a professional player and would assume guys in the AHL or other leagues don't get their name stenciled on like NHL players. But that's just my hypothesis.

Attachments

• PXL_20240906_150036742.jpg
    PXL_20240906_150036742.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240906_150054054.jpg
    PXL_20240906_150054054.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 3

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
Tough to pinpoint an era because Christian sticks looked the same from 1960 to 2002. Google brings up the late 80s for that model. Based on that and the font color, my guess would either be Scott or Brett Nelson. Scott - Minnesota and Brett - Minnesota Dulth....both played in 1990 and both schools jerseys matched the font color on the stick.

Best I can do on my lunch break!

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Tough to pinpoint an era because Christian sticks looked the same from 1960 to 2002. Google brings up the late 80s for that model. Based on that and the font color, my guess would either be Scott or Brett Nelson. Scott - Minnesota and Brett - Minnesota Dulth....both played in 1990 and both schools jerseys matched the font color on the stick.

Best I can do on my lunch break!

Thanks for this. I'll go down this rabbit hole and see what I come up with!

Also, the "say no to drugs" script was an 80's slogan so it kinda ties in with your theory about it being the late 80's

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I don't think Nelson is the name of the player. I think that's the maker of the stick. For instance, Brock Nelson of the Islanders is related to the Christian family, who made those brands of stick.

These have a very similar ink stamp of player name

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I don't think Nelson is the name of the player. I think that's the maker of the stick. For instance, Brock Nelson of the Islanders is related to the Christian family, who made those brands of stick.
Never knew this before. Never even knew that the Christian stick brand had a tie to Dave Christian.

I love these cool bits of trivia about the smaller, obsolete brands. Like Teppo Numminen owned the brand Montreal, which, oddly enough, was produced in Finland.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The way Nelson is stamped on looks like how player names were put on sticks. It looks like it’s above the finish, and not perfectly centered like the branding is. Can’t find any goalies that would’ve played at a high level by that name and in that era though. Not even in the minors.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
The way Nelson is stamped on looks like how player names were put on sticks. It looks like it’s above the finish, and not perfectly centered like the branding is. Can’t find any goalies that would’ve played at a high level by that name and in that era though. Not even in the minors.
Yeah I thought this too, because one of my coaches would do the same with our sticks. I remember Christian as a brand, they had those cool Curtis Curves that I wish some goalie would use again as it was just really smart ergonomically.

Jon Casey used them
Ed Belfour - He used it in Dallas and Chicago, in San Jose and Toronto he used different sticks.
Trevor Kidd - very briefly, so it might not be him.
Andy Moog - Use them for most of his career so it could be (if its him) from Dallas, Boston, etc.

So it really could be either one of those players, you might be able to find their autograph and see how they write and compare it @Buddy Bizarre

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad