Player Discussion Former Habs & Picks watch: Gone but not forgotten (No Current NHLers) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah Slaf and Newhook were good with Dach last preseason. But now that Suzuki and Slaf seem like a match, maybe Newhook slides in with them.

I'm looking forward to seeing the first linr from last year. But I'm also looking forward to seeing MSL try different combos this year with Dach, and especially when Demidov arrives.
I think we’ll see some line scrambling at some point. If you can have Nick and Slaf on one line and CC and Dach in the other it’s going to be tough for teams to defend against.

The caveat here is that CC needs to bounce back shoulder wise and Dach needs to stay healthy. If CC can get anywhere close to where he was it could be a great one two punch. And all four of them can be in the PP together.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So Steve Begin going bankrupt after sinking in lots of money into some engineering outfit which went bankrupt. It's awful to hear things like this. Guy was a popular hard nosed energy guy.

Athletes seem to get dragged down by stupid spending or investing big into a specific area, instead of spreading the money around.

Hope he rebounds okay.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
So Steve Begin going bankrupt after sinking in lots of money into some engineering outfit which went bankrupt. It's awful to hear things like this. Guy was a popular hard nosed energy guy.

Athletes seem to get dragged down by stupid spending or investing big into a specific area, instead of spreading the money around.

Hope he rebounds okay.
Should of known going into something sketchy as that.

Reactions: Nicko999

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Is Ian Lapperiere is the sosie of Jacques plante? Lol. It’s maybe just the broken noise, but I found they were looking the same.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
You guys/girls ever look at our amazing draft of 2015 and say not only 'where are they now' but how the f*** did anyone keep their job after that one? I mean everyone from scouts, gm's, drafting crew, everyone involved from top to bottom?

Juulsen , Vejdemo, Bradley, Bourque,Addison

• Haha
Reactions: the valiant effort

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You guys/girls ever look at our amazing draft of 2015 and say not only 'where are they now' but how the f*** did anyone keep their job after that one? I mean everyone from scouts, gm's, drafting crew, everyone involved from top to bottom?

Juulsen , Vejdemo, Bradley, Bourque,Addison

Juulsen is ineligible for this thread.

Vejdemo is doing good in the SHL.

Funnily, Bourque and Bradley are going to play together with HC Bolzano.

Addison is playing in Australia, they just finished their season so we don't know yet if he's staying for next year.

Reactions: Habs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think we’ll see some line scrambling at some point. If you can have Nick and Slaf on one line and CC and Dach in the other it’s going to be tough for teams to defend against.

The caveat here is that CC needs to bounce back shoulder wise and Dach needs to stay healthy. If CC can get anywhere close to where he was it could be a great one two punch. And all four of them can be in the PP together.
Hopefully in preseason!

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Juulsen is ineligible for this thread.

Vejdemo is doing good in the SHL.

Funnily, Bourque and Bradley are going to play together with HC Bolzano.

Addison is playing in Australia, they just finished their season so we don't know yet if he's staying for next year.
They have a hockey league in Australia?

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Two million at 5% is $100 000. Paid off home. Average person would take that in a heart beat. Rich people like hockey players get used to living large I guess and that just doesn't cut it. Need v Greed

Friend of mine works at a bank near a neighbourhood a lot of pro athletes live. The story is often the same. They get good investment advice in the beginning, then they start getting encouraged to take risks, it's a give or take on paying off, they meet someone they trust who convinces them of a home run, they put all of the work in investing they had into it, and it goes bust. It's easy to say they should just be sensible but they are not average people. It's a different tax bracket and different way of life. And it catches up to those who can't handle it.

It's also why so many sports athletes (especially hockey players) became car dealers after retiring. "You'll sell more cars than anyone else because you are famous" soon becomes, "I don't know who you are and you don't know anything about cars" and now they are stuck with a car dealership they know little about which only had good sales for the first five years.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I have a pretty good grasp on investing in the markets. I know we are talking about other stuff.
But the NHLPA is easily big enough to have its own people it hires to explain stuff to its members.. And there should easily be many guys who got good advice and have invested correctly that players can rely on.

If players go for hot tips or unvetted advisors, or want humerus, then there is nothing to be done except hopefully they luck out, which usually won't happen.

But it can be as easy as have paid off house, no debts and parcel off $X into safe investments that will pay you $Y per year, upon which you can live well. Then a portion with more risk reward. And so on. But if you want to roll it all on the newest fried chicken restaurant expansion then lr good luck with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad