Formenton re-signs with HC Ambri-Piotta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Unless the Sens were given hard evidence Formenton was involved, they should have just re-signed him last year.

If the investigators wanna drag this out for eons that's not our problem.

Reactions: Larionov and DrEasy

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Isn't he still under the restricted FA rules? doesn't that mean if he does not sign by Dec 1 he cannot play in the NHL this year?

This looks like the Swiss team protecting themselves in the event of negative publicity due to new information, i.e. an announcement.

As someone else mentioned, he could play in the NHL but would require waivers. In most cases, that's a non-starter so December 1st is a hard deadline (e.g. William Nylander isn't going on waivers). With Formenton, it's more of a possibility although still pretty unlikely.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Clearly there is something that makes Formenton get worse treatment than the others. It is also notable that there hasn't been a peep from him, and he isn't complaining about the Sens banishing him. If I was in this situation, and was innocent, I'd be screaming from the rooftops about poor treatment. Not saying he's the guy for sure, as I won't speculate without facts.

The teams know a heck of a lot more than the public.

Somebody is the ringleader, who set it up, was the woman's original date, and texted her after the incident to try and get her to say nothing untoward happened. I suspect this person will be charged at some point. I won't say who I think this could be as we shouldn't speculate.

There are 3-4 other NHL players that might be charged, but they weren't the ringleader who did more illegal things allegedly (assault, bringing the victim, trying to persuade the victim after). Maybe these 3-4 won't be charged in the end, as it could be harder to prove?

Some argue that Formenton got this treatment because he was the only unsigned player since 2022. I imagine that of the 20+ players, at least one of them was a free agent this summer (2023), and signed some sort of an NHL contract.

It's pretty clear Batherson isn't in trouble. Teams know what's going on more than we do, and he wore the "A" several times last season and this preseason. The Sens certainly think he's not involved.

I certainly feel badly for the victim, who I hope gets a fair resolution in the courts, and has had successful counselling so she has a good life.

I also feel badly for the 17/18?+ players that aren't involved, they need resolution so they are no longer looked at suspiciously.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Clearly there is something that makes Formenton get worse treatment than the others. It is also notable that there hasn't been a peep from him, and he isn't complaining about the Sens banishing him. If I was in this situation, and was innocent, I'd be screaming from the rooftops about poor treatment. Not saying he's the guy for sure, as I won't speculate without facts.

The teams know a heck of a lot more than the public.

Somebody is the ringleader, who set it up, was the woman's original date, and texted her after the incident to try and get her to say nothing untoward happened. I suspect this person will be charged at some point. I won't say who I think this could be as we shouldn't speculate.

There are 3-4 other NHL players that might be charged, but they weren't the ringleader who did more illegal things allegedly (assault, bringing the victim, trying to persuade the victim after). Maybe these 3-4 won't be charged in the end, as it could be harder to prove?

Some argue that Formenton got this treatment because he was the only unsigned player since 2022. I imagine that of the 20+ players, at least one of them was a free agent this summer (2023), and signed some sort of an NHL contract.

It's pretty clear Batherson isn't in trouble. Teams know what's going on more than we do, and he wore the "A" several times last season and this preseason. The Sens certainly think he's not involved.

I certainly feel badly for the victim, who I hope gets a fair resolution in the courts, and has had successful counselling so she has a good life.

I also feel badly for the 17/18?+ players that aren't involved, they need resolution so they are no longer looked at suspiciously.
Seems obvious this must be the case. He isn't getting different treatment just because. Whether or not it's right or wrong can still be debated, but it's hard to weigh in without knowing what they must know.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Seems obvious this must be the case. He isn't getting different treatment just because. Whether or not it's right or wrong can still be debated, but it's hard to weigh in without knowing what they must know.
Formenton does stand out as the only player to have not made a comment.

The vast majority have said they were not involved. At least one of those players have signed a new contract (PTO), but I did not look any up other than what I was aware of. 3 players have said they have fully co-operated with the investigation, but did not comment on involvement. One of those three have had to sign a new contract since the allegation have surfaced.

Formenton has made no comment.

So his situation does stand out a bit. It seems dubious that the distinction warrants this treatment though. Of course this is not exactly about signing Formenton because Ottawa did offer him a contract. Its that negotiations seems to have ceased.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Formenton does stand out as the only player to have not made a comment.

The vast majority have said they were not involved. At least one of those players have signed a new contract (PTO), but I did not look any up other than what I was aware of. 3 players have said they have fully co-operated with the investigation, but did not comment on involvement. One of those three have had to sign a new contract since the allegation have surfaced.

Formenton has made no comment.

So his situation does stand out a bit. It seems dubious that the distinction warrants this treatment though. Of course this is not exactly about signing Formenton because Ottawa did offer him a contract. Its that negotiations seems to have ceased.
Ya that too. I mean, it seems so clear that he's being treated differently than any of the others and I have a real hard time believing that's a coincidence and means nothing. I assume the Senators, and potentially all the other teams management, knows something we don't about the situation.

Reactions: ColinM

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
We don't even have the cap space for Shane Pinto, so why bother worrying about a player who is not under contract and may or may not be guilty of a criminal offence? At this point he's probably not worth the distraction even if he is innocent.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We don't even have the cap space for Shane Pinto, so why bother worrying about a player who is not under contract and may or may not be guilty of a criminal offence? At this point he's probably not worth the distraction even if he is innocent.

If this TC story never existed he would be well worth it, we deeply missed him last season. If he was still there, we wouldn't have the money for Tarasenko and might have gotten another pick instead of Kubalik in the ADB trade, this year we could have :

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
Greig - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly- Kastelic - Good4RW

#1 : one of the best NHL lines last season
#2 : Norris-Batherson is a deadly duo when healthy. Greig is an analytics darling who would just push the line in the right direction and make it even more dangerous as he gets comfortable
#3 : Imagine that speed on each wing... Pinto would be there to bank in rebounds from the chaos created or use his shot. 15-25 goals each (including PK/PP)
#4 : Kelly has been a lot better this preseason and in the first game than last season, if he can play like that he is an useful 4th liner, good defensively and on the PK. Needs to put 15-20 pts. Kastelic is big, physical and elite on faceoffs but having a good 4th line RW would help that line tremendously. We'd have the cap space for that

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

He's exactly what this team needs - a huge speed boost up front. He'd be a better Joseph at a lower cost.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
The banning of the rainbow tape.. it was a story in Canada.. It hardly moved the needle in the States.

Formenton will most likely never play another game in Ottawa.. even as a visiting player.

Trade his rights..

Some have suggested attaching him to Joseph.. fine. Add him to Brannstrom. Add him to whoever.. free up the cap space, move on.

If Norris is out and Pinto is out.. we have lost #2 and # 3 C... and we may have just kissed this season goodbye.. Use Formenton to free up your cap..

MoreGore

Jul 13, 2022
It always finding strange that fans will always defend players and come up with all kind of excuses to protect a player but a coach like Badcock is crucified because he made some players uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure the woman who was sexually assaulted felt pretty uncomfortable but some of you are willing to give Formenton a pass just because he can skate real fast!! Personally I hope that every individual who took part in this get charged. Just because you play hockey doesn't mean you're above the law.

Innocent until proven guilty. That is our legal standard. Nobody has not even been charged yet.

If we live in a mob rules world, God help those that catch the eye of the mob.

The world is not perfect so we have to accept mistakes.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The banning of the rainbow tape.. it was a story in Canada.. It hardly moved the needle in the States.

Formenton will most likely never play another game in Ottawa.. even as a visiting player.

Trade his rights..

Some have suggested attaching him to Joseph.. fine. Add him to Brannstrom. Add him to whoever.. free up the cap space, move on.

If Norris is out and Pinto is out.. we have lost #2 and # 3 C... and we may have just kissed this season goodbye.. Use Formenton to free up your cap..
This is funny, it hardly moved the needle in the states because Hockey hardly moves the needle. They're all more worried about the start of the football season, baseball playoffs, and looking forward to the NBA starting back up.

The team has tried to trade Formenton, nobody would take him.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
This is funny, it hardly moved the needle in the states because Hockey hardly moves the needle. They're all more worried about the start of the football season, baseball playoffs, and looking forward to the NBA starting back up.

1) The team has tried to trade Formenton, nobody would take him.
1) then cut bait. the issue will not be forgotten for 2-3 more years. Do you want some 26 year old who has played the last 4 years in an AHL (plus) environment with you. His skills will not sharpen.

2) Political debate.. I have had enough.. I am from a land that is setting the world on fire now.. And I am okay with sitting politics out.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
1) then cut bait. the issue will not be forgotten for 2-3 more years. Do you want some 26 year old who has played the last 4 years in an AHL (plus) environment with you. His skills will not sharpen.

2) Political debate.. I have had enough.. I am from a land that is setting the world on fire now.. And I am okay with sitting politics out.
Haven't they basically cut bait already?

Reactions: Xspyrit

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
probably..but I cannot remember a waiver or release. At least nothing official.
Oh I see what you meant. Ya I doubt that specifically happens. I'm sure they'll retain his rights for the unlikely occurrence he's allowed back in and someone else wants him, but it seems like they've unofficially cut their ties.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think we knew or suspected this

They have the right to their stance. Many people have judged him guilty with no real facts of his involvement just spinning speculation and drawing conclusions.

Not saying he is innocent .. I think he deserves his day in court.

I think its a significant loss for the Senators . I doubt he fulfills his potential now. I doubt he plays here even if no charges are laid against him specifically.

Reactions: MoreGore and DrEasy

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I think we knew or suspected this

They have the right to their stance. Many people have judged him guilty with no real facts of his involvement just spinning speculation and drawing conclusions.

Not saying he is innocent .. I think he deserves his day in court.

I think its a significant loss for the Senators . I doubt he fulfills his potential now. I doubt he plays here even if no charges are laid against him specifically.

well if he’s cleared of any wrongdoing and is given the green light to return to the NHL, it will be up to current management and the current majority owner whether or not he returns to the Senators lineup.

minority owners can voice their concerns or displeasure but it’s out of their hands.

100% Agee that he deserves his day in court, and what happens after that, we’ll have to wait and see.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
So with a new owner calling the shots, and nothing has come out from this investigation yet. whether its from the NHL or the Police side. Can he come back now?

h2

Mar 26, 2002
The story came from Kypreos, so I'm sure it has some truth to it at the very least.

The Melnyks own 10% of the team, and I'm not so sure Andlauer is a fan of them after what recently transpired. If Formenton never plays for the Sens again, I don't think the Melnyks will have anything to do with it.

Agreed 100%. Their opinion doesn't matter.

This is Andlauer's team now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad