Post-Game Talk: Forget this game ever happened

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Well they had to stop making it the Avs or people would start asking questions.
There's different ways to measure it outside of %

St.L is +59 on penalty differential
Vegas is +49
Colorado is +32

Oilers are -45

To date this means that Vegas is +94 on calls FOR them and against us.

In a 7 game series, we should expect them to have around 11-12 more Power Plays than us.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

Vegas is +49
Colorado is +32

Oilers are -45

In a 7 game series, we should expect them to have around 11-12 more Power Plays than us.
Unless we try to play more disciplined. That might help.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Vegas is +49
Colorado is +32

Oilers are -45

I keep thinking of the "clean game" last night and remembering back to the "penalties" that Desharnais "took" against the Sens. lol

I don't want to beat this dead horse too much more, because it is what it is, but this integrity problem is hard to look past.

Sure, like Nuge just shouldn't be near anyone when a stick hits someone, or he'll just have to serve that.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I keep thinking of the "clean game" last night and remembering back to the "penalties" that Desharnais "took" against the Sens. lol

I don't want to beat this dead horse too much more, because it is what it is, but this integrity problem is hard to look past.

Sure, like Nuge just shouldn't be near anyone when a stick hits someone, or he'll just have to serve that.
The two additional calls vs STL last night would have been Kane pulling a helmet off and Drasaitl putting his stick into Thomas' feet. You don't need to take them, but some teams just do.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The two additional calls vs STL last night would have been Kane pulling a helmet off and Drasaitl putting his stick into Thomas' feet. You don't need to take them, but some teams just do.
:facepalm: Totally. Like Kane, just grabbed a guy, they fought and he got an extra penalty for reasons. I mean Tucker jumping to hit Kane was just legit.

Man, you're good at this.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
:facepalm: Totally. Like Kane, just grabbed a guy, they fought and he got an extra penalty for reasons. I mean Tucker jumping to hit Kane was just legit.

Man, you're good at this.
The penalty was for pulling the opponent's helmet off. I didn't see the Tucker jump, but if it happened, it is a penalty.

Riight...

Vegas is so disciplined.
No they are rat bag cheaters, cap circumventing pieces of shit, but I haven't watched them enough to say they are or aren't disciplined on the ice.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The stats actually back this up.

St.Louis gets favorable call differentials and win a majority of the video reviews, while Edmonton gets absolutely shafted on both.

I don't feel like digging it up, but it's early in the GDT.

We have the 4th worst Penalty Differential, StL has the best:
View attachment 844980 View attachment 844981
Do we have the 4th worst penalty differential because our players take dumb penalties too often though? Look at Drai with his 2 stupid tripping penalties last night, or Kane getting 2 minutes for pulling off a helmet in a fight. These are penalties that should be easy to avoid, but our guys are too undisciplined at times and we get extra penalties for it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It felt like the Vegas series a bit when the Oilers controlled play for large portions of the game but were unable to finish or were stoned by the other goalie then before you know it the puck is in the back of their net. Not blaming Skinner btw, just saying I saw some parallels between this game and the Vegas series.

I actually think the Oilers inability to finish in key moments in tight games is one of their biggest weaknesses come playoff time. Sounds weird for a team with McDavid and Draisaitl but they do seem to struggle in clutch moments.
This is why, outside of the ref intervention with the interference calls, this game was extra frustrating. It doesn't mean much in the long run because the Oilers are pretty much locked into their current spot but just a microcosm of all the close games they lose this time of year.
The Oilers passed up scoring opportunities for low percentage plays, especially on the power play. Binnington played well but the Oilers made it too easy on him at times. I actually thought Skinner made the tougher saves and the Blues had the higher xG.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
:facepalm: good point.

Again, everything is individually in a vacuum and nothing else happe
Generally referees, the good ones anyways, will make calls based on what they see in any individual instance. Which is why you can get 3 challenges going the same way. (Well, we have to give the Oilers this one because they lost the last two would have ludicris)

But that doesn't fit the narrative that people want to think the league is biased against their team. It means you don't have to justify your poor play, you can just blame it on the refs. I ref men's league. I see it all the time. :)

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Do we have the 4th worst penalty differential because our players take dumb penalties too often though? Look at Drai with his 2 stupid tripping penalties last night, or Kane getting 2 minutes for pulling off a helmet in a fight. These are penalties that should be easy to avoid, but our guys are too undisciplined at times and we get extra penalties for it.
They're only dumb penalties because they're dumb calls.

We have McDavid who never draws penalties despite being interfered with on every shift.

The calls easily be in our favor if the refs wanted to. They just don't.

Reactions: Keggatron

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

We have McDavid who never draws penalties despite being interfered with on every shift.

The calls CAN be evened up in our favor if the refs wanted to. They just don't.
You seem to think that refs want something other than to make the right call. That is where you are most mistaken.

I do think that McDavid gets jobbed more than any other player. That might be your most valid point.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

The calls CAN be evened up in our favor if the refs wanted to. They just don't.
I thought we didn't want make up penalties? There weren't garbage obstruction calls on either team last night. They were pretty much all cut and dry. It isn't an issue with the lack of make up calls. One of this reams only big flaws that should be easy to fix hy the players on the ice, is discipline. There are a lot of reasons to complain about last night - the ice, the inconsistent reviews, even unlucky bounces - but penalties shouldn't be one we complain about when they were fairly dumb penalties on our end.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Oilers passed up scoring opportunities for low percentage plays, especially on the power play. Binnington played well but the Oilers made it too easy on him at times. I actually thought Skinner made the tougher saves and the Blues had the higher xG.

The Oilers power play has two weaknesses when playing poorly:

1) Airhead passing decisions on break in, either an ill-advised dangle attempt through 4 players or a bad pass to someone already isolated at the blue line.

2) Forcing to Leon for the one timer as the exclusive scoring tactic

Both were in force last night. One thing I didn't realize was how stark the difference is in performance of both special teams units on home and the road. We are 1/2 on both PP and PK at home, but I want to say we're something like 28th on the PK on the road and around middle of the road on the PP. I have no explanation for why this is, but it underscores the importance of home ice, especially on the kill.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
You seem to think that refs want something other than to make the right call. That is where you are most mistaken.

I do think that McDavid gets jobbed more than any other player. That might be your most valid point.
That's literally what this is about.

We have a player who should be drawing so many penalties, we should be leading the league in Power Plays.

But instead we are 4th last in differential.

So when other teams take liberties on McDavid, we feel that we can take liberties too.
NOPE!

This is a 1-way thing. We get penalized, they don't.
And when there's losers, there's winners.

St.Louis and Vegas are clearly winners in this.

And the statistics back this.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Sooo the refs sometimes don’t just want to make the right call?
I think that it is a unicorn type of situation. If I were reffing I would call them all. I believe that a call is a call. Rishaug would suggest that McDavid evens it up himself by using body position and interfering with guys to get advantage. I don't think it is as bad as it used to be.

That's literally what this is about.

We have a player who should be drawing so many penalties, we should be leading the league in Power Plays.

But instead we are 4th last in differential.

So when other teams take liberties on McDavid, we feel that we can take liberties too.
NOPE!

This is a 1-way thing. We get penalized, they don't.
And when there's losers, there's winners.

St.Louis and Vegas are clearly winners in this.

And the statistics back this.
So did McDavid get interfered with a bunch last night that I didn't see, because I kept looking for the Oilers not getting calls and didn't see anything obvious.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think that it is a unicorn type of situation. If I were reffing I would call them all. I believe that a call is a call. Rishaug would suggest that McDavid evens it up himself by using body position and interfering with guys to get advantage. I don't think it is as bad as it used to be.
Exactly. A call is a call. They are choosing not to call it.

Reactions: Keggatron

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Exactly. A call is a call. They are choosing not to call it.
Everytime there is something that occurs there is a choice to call. Carrick and Buchnevich cross checks would be called what per cent of the time? 50? 25?

There are certain calls that are absolute and some that are judgement. I truly don't think McDavid is getting as rough a ride as he used to, but that is just me.

But, I guess the narrative helps the Oilers. This entire thread is about calls, and not about anything else. You don't have to question your game when you can blame the refs for a loss.

The difference between what fans see and players see are two different things. :)

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Alex-Pietrangelo-suspended.jpg

We all know that if Pieceofshitangelo was getting physically assaulted (a complete non hockey play) by an Oiler instead, the Oiler would have been suspended the series (or longer).

Discipline is subjective in this league

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

We all know that if Pieceofshitangelo was getting physically assaulted (a complete non hockey play) by an Oiler instead, the Oiler would have been suspended the series (or longer).

So you mad at Parros or the reffing. They are two separate things. This was awful by player safety and he should have gotten a bunch of games.

Reactions: Duke74

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

That's right, it is subjective, and every team benefits and gets burned at some point.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I dont see how they were Undisciplined last night.

Failed challenge penalty?
Kane getting 2 extra minutes in a fight he didn't start
Zach Hyman with a illegal equipment penalty?? Huh??

They are all game management calls to keep the blues in the playoff race.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad