Forcing Players Into Different Positions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
kind of related i guess...

a few years ago the devils did an alumni game for fans on the side practice rink and brodeur started in net. later on (cant remember at what time in the game) he took off the pads and played forward... he even scored on shot from the slot still wearing his goalie skates.

it was so fun to see and a 'what if'

1727193370541.png

1727193666262.png

He did this for the 1995 alumni game, Brodeur ended up playing forward for the first two periods with Bruce Driver playing goalie. Brodeur suited up in net for the third period. For the most part, the players were taking it easy on Driver but when Brodeur was in net suddenly everybody was dangling and taking slappers (looking in Brian Rolston's general direction). Brodeur was only a few months removed from playing his last NHL game.

• Love
Reactions: njdevils1982

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
View attachment 909241

View attachment 909243

He did this for the 1995 alumni game, Brodeur ended up playing forward for the first two periods with Bruce Driver playing goalie. Brodeur suited up in net for the third period. For the most part, the players were taking it easy on Driver but when Brodeur was in net suddenly everybody was dangling and taking slappers (looking in Brian Rolston's general direction). Brodeur was only a few months removed from playing his last NHL game.

thanks. looks like i got it a bit wrong....i thought he started in net.... oh well.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
...Some of your hypotheticals are so unrealistic to point of not being worthy to debate (Winger being asked to play D) teams have minor league clubs with reinforcements or would sign/trade for pros who play the position if came to that.
Leeman and Clark both started as D and moved to wing. John Kordic too. I assume all willingly changed positions.

Last edited:

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
What about Fedorov playing C and D? Burns and Byfuglien both played W and D too. It's not common, but all three were very successful at both positions.

Bingo. I came in here to mention Byfuglien and Burns.

And tons of forwards switch wings, or move to C all the time. Lots of times they don't like it, but it happens anyway. They're pros, they deal with it.

If a coach wants you to play a different position, then you do it. If a player tried to put a clause in his contract to stop that, he'd get laughed at by the team and his own agent.

Reactions: CanadienShark

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
"Forcing a player"

I would suggest that OP needs to watch more games and see after the puck drop it no longer about FWD and D but territory on the ice or zone property is what happens

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
"Forcing a player"

I would suggest that OP needs to watch more games and see after the puck drop it no longer about FWD and D but territory on the ice or zone property is what happens
Have watched thousands of games so it's easy for me to figure out who the defencemen are and who the forwards are, lol, even if there is some roving going on.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Have watched thousands of games so it's easy for me to figure out who the defencemen are and who the forwards are, lol, even if there is some roving going on.
Then I’d think you realize centres sometimes play the wing and vica versa.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Then I’d think you realize centres sometimes play the wing and vica versa.
It's a given that there is movement by the forwards as such but you might be getting a little confused about it's relevance to the context of the original post.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Probably not because at the end of the day, the team wants the same thing as the player - the best result. So if it’s a big enough deal to go into a contract, it probably isn’t going to happen IRL.

Sometimes a player will be asked to play their off wing or off side on D. There’s lots of guys who can play both too. I played junior A with a bit of CHL and played at all 3 forward positions at various points. It’s not super uncommon and some players can do it better than others. I also played D filling in during my play at midget but never in junior.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It's a given that there is movement by the forwards as such but you might be getting a little confused about it's relevance to the context of the original post.
No I understood the context fine, as has everyone else.

Do players have protection in their contracts or CBA which prevent teams from forcing them to play positions other than their first choices?
No

but....simply does the team legally have the right to unilaterally make these changes if they think it's best for the team?
yes

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Am i the only one who read the title of this thread and started thinking about something completely different?
same, saw the title and 1st thought was I hope this thread wasn't started by Brad Aldrich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad