OT: Football thread (2024 season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Amazing what Darnold can do behind an professional O-Line.
I was not surprised. If you give the guy time and 2 pro bowl WR he is going to make plays. Plus he has a great play caller. People wrote Minny off before the season and I never understood why. They have very strong talent and 2 good coaches.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Need to see more from Darnold. His first year after he left the Jets he came out with Carolina and threw for like 1200 yards in his first 4 games or whatever and then he turned into a pile of sand. I mean I'd like to see him succeed, certainly, but one game is one game.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
People already doing victory dances for Barkley in Eaglesland. Ho hum, give me Nabers over him any day. He's not Barry Sanders and it's not 1995. Plus Nabers is less likely to be injured just based on position alone. People are saying the Giants will win 2-4 games because Barkley's not there anymore. But last year he had an injury riddled season and was pretty average when he played. And we won 6 games. Also, the line got revamped and Thomas is back. And we added Nabers. The Giants have more talent than people think and I think barring injuries and Jones being done (also due to injuries) the Giants are going to hover around .500, 7 to 9 wins. f*** the haters.
I was with you and then I attended my first NFL game today….

Reactions: Atax

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
IMG_6105.jpeg

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Giants should stick with Jones, be as bad as possible, you don’t need DeVito winning random games to cost you draft position. He’s the reason you don’t have Drake Maye right now.

Except won't they have to pay him a ton if he gets injured?

I was with you and then I attended my first NFL game today….

LOL, me too. Giants making me look bad for a decade straight.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Need to see more from Darnold. His first year after he left the Jets he came out with Carolina and threw for like 1200 yards in his first 4 games or whatever and then he turned into a pile of sand. I mean I'd like to see him succeed, certainly, but one game is one game.
True, but Carolina was almost as bad of a situation as the Jets were, especially once CMC went down. Minnesota are pretty stacked offensively so I think he'll do well.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Usually I give up on the season 3 to 4 games in. When they're invariably 0-3 or 0-4. This season I have already given up. I was really hoping Jones would revert to the slightly above average QB he was in 2022 as it wasn't that long ago and it was the same coach. But the guy is mental m*****t. Just an absolute shitshow at QB. He legit has nothing going for him, mentally, physically. He used to not process THAT well but could make some good throws. He legit couldn't complete a throw beyond 5 yards in this game in the rare event he completed it. What's worse is that the motherf***ing Jets will be good. Usually at least we have company for our misery instead we have to watch the corpse of Aaron Rodgers make Jones look like a bad HS QB.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
In general it felt like the offensive play sucked in the NFL on Sunday. September really might just be a ramp up period for a lot of teams with no one playing in preseason.

It’s crazy how many bad quarterbacks there are in the NFL, or just rookies overwhelmed.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
In general it felt like the offensive play sucked in the NFL on Sunday. September really might just be a ramp up period for a lot of teams with no one playing in preseason.

It’s crazy how many bad quarterbacks there are in the NFL, or just rookies overwhelmed.

The NFL is already the shortest schedule. Basically now it's a 13 or 14 game schedule. This is why even though I like football a little more than hockey, if I were to pick the Giants being good or the Rangers I would choose the Rangers. 5 times the games. The New England Patriots dynasty to me was a 4 year dynasty in the NHL.

Reactions: 17futurecap

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
People already doing victory dances for Barkley in Eaglesland. Ho hum, give me Nabers over him any day. He's not Barry Sanders and it's not 1995. Plus Nabers is less likely to be injured just based on position alone. People are saying the Giants will win 2-4 games because Barkley's not there anymore. But last year he had an injury riddled season and was pretty average when he played. And we won 6 games. Also, the line got revamped and Thomas is back. And we added Nabers. The Giants have more talent than people think and I think barring injuries and Jones being done (also due to injuries) the Giants are going to hover around .500, 7 to 9 wins. f*** the haters.

Usually I give up on the season 3 to 4 games in. When they're invariably 0-3 or 0-4. This season I have already given up. I was really hoping Jones would revert to the slightly above average QB he was in 2022 as it wasn't that long ago and it was the same coach. But the guy is mental m*****t. Just an absolute shitshow at QB. He legit has nothing going for him, mentally, physically. He used to not process THAT well but could make some good throws. He legit couldn't complete a throw beyond 5 yards in this game in the rare event he completed it. What's worse is that the motherf***ing Jets will be good. Usually at least we have company for our misery instead we have to watch the corpse of Aaron Rodgers make Jones look like a bad HS QB.

Have you ever been told you're a walking/talking contradiction?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I had the Giants at 6 wins but it appears I may have been very generous
I had them at 4-6. They play some pretty bad teams this season (WSHx2, CLE, CAR, ATL), but I don't think any of those teams looked worse than the Giants did yesterday.

Unless something drastically changes, they look like a 2-4 win team to me.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
He had a few completions past 10 yards that looked like they should have been picked off but somehow got through the defender. Putrid reads of the D and even worse decision making.

He was also scared to throw the ball in 1 on 1 coverage when the receiver clearly had a step. Jones always goes for the safe throw or tries to finagle around the pocket to buy time to inevitably just check it down. He's really regressed last year and this year.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Have you ever been told you're a walking/talking contradiction?

So, I was supposed to not update my take on the season? This is like when someone in politics says something then changes his stance. Was I supposed to stubbornly continue saying that the Giants are going to win 7-9 games in the face of new information yesterday?

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
The way the Giants and Panthers played yesterday, if they keep that up, the Germans are going to get a real barnburner of a game in November! :laugh:

I'm both excited and terrified about the Jets game tonight....

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
So, I was supposed to not update my take on the season? This is like when someone in politics says something then changes his stance. Was I supposed to stubbornly continue saying that the Giants are going to win 7-9 games in the face of new information yesterday?
Hey they still might

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The Giants should stick with Jones, be as bad as possible, you don’t need DeVito winning random games to cost you draft position. He’s the reason you don’t have Drake Maye right now.
I know TD's record shows 3-3 in started games but its a bit misleading imo. He only threw for 200 yards in 1 of those 6 starts. I think he averaged around 150 yards in those 6 starts.

Reactions: romba

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Chiming in to guarantee that the Giants will, as always, find a way to win enough meaningless games this season to ensure they do not get a chance at the top-ranked QB on the draft board in 2025.

1. KT/Neal
2. Wandale
3. Ezeudu/Flott

1.Banks
2.JMS
3.Hyatt

Plenty of games left this year, but if JMS doesn't turn his trajectory around and Hyatt continues to be a non-factor in the offense, that is a horrific start to Schoen's GM drafting career considering the capital he was given. Maybe we shouldn't be so worried about "draft guru" Brandon Brown being poached by another franchise...

But the thing I am most stuck on is the fact that we are now in year 3 of our latest "rebuild" and the best-case scenario is a tanked season so we can draft our future franchise QB??? WHAT IS THE PLAN HERE?!?! Did the Giants really not have a backup plan in case Jones turned out to not be the guy? How are we on year 6 of Daniel Jones and the best option appears to be tank the entire season to hopefully draft his replacement?

I was as pro Schoen and Daboll as they come, but if this does in fact turn out to be a "tank" season, how do you stick with them considering the team will have gotten worse each year they've been in charge? 3 years in and not one of Schoen's picks or signings have popped? Even without a QB, it doesn't seem like the defense has gotten any better. It's not like we're loaded with young potential at multiple positions either. We're thin at CB/S/LB/DT/RB/TE/IOL. Where has this team gotten better since Schoen took over? WR? What does that matter if you still haven't figured out a QB to throw to them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad