Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Latvian UFA forward Rodrigo Abols to one-year ELC, ex of Rogle BK (SHL)

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
Latvians. Hard workers and even harder drinkers. As hockey players they do often over achieve so I like it.
Zemgus Girgensens is a free agent. Sign him and they can room together.

Reactions: renberg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Why not check out Kuokkanen if you're going to gaze into the SHL? Billed as a very smart playmaker and transition driver and long term prospect when drafted, and looks to maybe be putting it together? Actually had a decent year in the NHL. Try to aim at some upside.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Don't know anything about him, but he has some skill with the puck and can shoot it. It's a longshot, and if Cates moves to wing, he might help. We'll see. Scores in different ways: tips, long shots, off rush, decent passing, hits a bit. They are looking for Poehling 2.0.

He played Jr for Portland in the WHL, here's his prospect reel:

There are a bunch of hits on YT: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rodrigo+abols

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
Latvian here. Really surprised by this signing, I thought Abols was comfortable enough in Sweden to never leave, especially since he had his contract sorted out. Wonder if Flyers promised him anything else, since I dont think that its the first two way deal he got offered, being one of the top centres in SHL.

Pros:
- Big body;
- Holds the puck really well;
- Good skater, especially for his size;
- Good shot;
- Good face off guy;
- Leadership.

Cons:
- Somewhat inconsistent;
- Not overly physical;
- Average passer.

Overall, he is a big offensive minded centre, who really likes to drive the net and protects the puck on offence. More of a finisher than a playmaker, he usually has about the same amount of goals as passes. On the National team, he is centering the first line with former NHLers Daugavins and Balcers, and both of them are really talented players, who did not stick in the NHL - mainly, not good enough for top lines, not grindy enough for bottom lines. And thats the main concern with Abols for me as well, as he is obviously not a bottom line player, despite his size.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Hello! [:

Hard working center that can create something out of absolutely nothing. Pivotal part of Latvian bronze team, everyone was focusing on Šilovs, but Ābols played a huge part also, without him we wouldn't get that far, lots of subtle and not so subtle plays that led to key moments/goals. I hate the word ''intangibles'' ever since the Toews discourse, but Ābols is definition of it.

Glad to see another Latvian sign for Flyers, first time since Oskars Bārtulis who brought my attention to this club and I've been a fan ever since.

As someone in this thread already mentioned, his last name translates to Apple in Latvian.
Thanks, ellja. This is reassuring that he isn't just a big body. Hopefully the Flyers know that, too.

Reactions: BiggE

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I read some stuff saying he could be support for Michkov/Kolosov/other Russians/Belorussians. I just hope ya'll understand my/Ābols' generation doesn't speak fluent Russian anymore. If you mean support from mentality perspective - for sure.
Totally can see management think .."it's all the same language " lol

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
I’m just not seeing any chance he makes it. Center is pretty solidified unless Laughton gets moved and Cates is permanently a LW?

Frost
Coots
Poehling?
Cates?

He surely cannot compete with Couts or Frost, but if his plays translates to North America I don't see why he could not compete with Poehling, for example

I can guarantee you that, at the very least, NicD will play more than this guy regardless
Please dont ruin my party

Probably just a good AHLer...
Shut your mouth [:

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Latvians. Hard workers and even harder drinkers. As hockey players they do often over achieve so I like it.
Zemgus Girgensens is a free agent. Sign him and they can room together.
I feel seen

Edit. I paid 300euros for Prague Global Series tickets BUF-NJD, please, sign Zemgus next year so that I can still see him live this October in Czechia, mkay, thanks

Feb 5, 2016
If Abols doesn’t make the Flyers out of TC, the Phantoms could use a center as they only have Avon, Gardner, Desnoyers, Rizzo and AHL contract Bouquot* signed for next season that can play down the middle.

Laczynski and Brooks are UFA’s.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I read some stuff saying he could be support for Michkov/Kolosov/other Russians/Belorussians. I just hope ya'll understand my/Ābols' generation doesn't speak fluent Russian anymore. If you mean support from mentality perspective - for sure.

Thank you. I saw those posts, and was wondering if there was something about him I didn‘t know about. I couldn‘t think of any connection between him and Kolosov.

Hopefully, he can be another Raffl/Bellemare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad