Flyers Regular Season Discussion Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
For the Canadians, my sister runs the lounge at biggest hotel in Flin Flon and she had Bobby as a customer last night. Said tsn is doing an interview with him back home, will be pretty cool when it comes out.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
While I expect Giroux to bounce back, I don't think he's gong to age well, neither will Voracek without changes in attitude.

Guys who age well I suspect are small fast guys and bigger puck control guys. You lose some speed and quickness as you age, but if you start fast, you're still fast enough to make space for yourself.

Bigger guys have to use their bodies as they age, Jagr is the ultimate outlier, he skates like a snail but can still shoot and he's a bear to separate from the puck. Problem with Voracek is he could be this kind of player, but his style is more like a 185 playmaker than a 210 lb power forward. And he's not a great shooter.

Doesn't mean they'll fall off a cliff next year, rather, that as their skills decline Giroux will struggle because of his size, and Voracek because he's has yet to show the toughness required to age well as a big forward.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
While I expect Giroux to bounce back, I don't think he's gong to age well, neither will Voracek without changes in attitude.

Guys who age well I suspect are small fast guys and bigger puck control guys. You lose some speed and quickness as you age, but if you start fast, you're still fast enough to make space for yourself.

Bigger guys have to use their bodies as they age, Jagr is the ultimate outlier, he skates like a snail but can still shoot and he's a bear to separate from the puck. Problem with Voracek is he could be this kind of player, but his style is more like a 185 playmaker than a 210 lb power forward. And he's not a great shooter.

Doesn't mean they'll fall off a cliff next year, rather, that as their skills decline Giroux will struggle because of his size, and Voracek because he's has yet to show the toughness required to age well as a big forward.

I don't even know what half of this means.

However, the bolded is shockingly stupid.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Voracek uses his size all the time to protect the puck which is why his possession numbers are so good.

This is another one of those Simmonds-is-slow opinions that have no basis in reality.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Voracek is one of the strongest puck protectors and more difficult guys to defend 1 v 1 along the boards in the league. 185 lbs finesse player my rear end.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I dunno, is that Voracek or Sam Gagner from last year? Their play styles are so similar I can't tell them apart. ;)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Will he admit he's wrong? No, of course not.

He'll just wait a few days, hope that people forgot, and then try to say it again and hope nobody calls him out.

Being correct or incorrect doesn't matter to him, it's all about trying to spin a narrative.

The only problem is that some of the people on this board actually watch hockey and can point out the ******** as soon as it's posted. :laugh:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

You clearly don't have any idea what you are watching. Simmonds is not in any way slow. And Jake's game is predicated on him using his size and strength to shield the puck, something he's one of the best in the whole league at.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Do you watch Voracek?

His favorite play is to cycle around the net, yes, he protects the puck when he's skating the cycle, but how often do you see him get off good shots in crowds like Schenn or make plays in the crease like Simmonds.

Voracek plays a small man's game at both ends, he rarely hits people, doesn't dig pucks out of the corner on a regular basis, isn't a good shooter, he's a very good passer but why he's become a bad fit with G, you shoot it, no, You shoot it!

It's frustrating because he's a big strong forward who can skate and puck handle, you like him to be more aggressive and it would be nice if he was a better shooter.

He's had one elite season, 2014-15, when he was a dominant player and looked like he arrived, but a subpar following season and now a decent, but not great year. The last two seasons combined, 44 takeaways, 87 giveaways. He's been making too many mistakes.

He's starting to look like at age 27 that he'll be a 35-40 ES/60 point forward (if he stays on the 1st PP). Which is good, except that he's not that much of a two way forward. In other words, a better skating and puck handling but worse shooting version of Schenn. A second line kind of guy. It's just that he should be more, 2014-15 shouldn't be a fluke.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Do you watch Voracek?

His favorite play is to cycle around the net, yes, he protects the puck when he's skating the cycle, but how often do you see him get off good shots in crowds like Schenn or make plays in the crease like Simmonds.

Voracek plays a small man's game at both ends, he rarely hits people, doesn't dig pucks out of the corner on a regular basis, isn't a good shooter, he's a very good passer but why he's become a bad fit with G, you shoot it, no, You shoot it!

It's frustrating because he's a big strong forward who can skate and puck handle, you like him to be more aggressive and it would be nice if he was a better shooter.

He's had one elite season, 2014-15, when he was a dominant player and looked like he arrived, but a subpar following season and now a decent, but not great year. The last two seasons combined, 44 takeaways, 87 giveaways. He's been making too many mistakes.

He's starting to look like at age 27 that he'll be a 35-40 ES/60 point forward (if he stays on the 1st PP). Which is good, except that he's not that much of a two way forward. In other words, a better skating and puck handling but worse shooting version of Schenn. A second line kind of guy. It's just that he should be more, 2014-15 shouldn't be a fluke.

You are so ****ing exhausting.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He used a whole lot of words to say very, very little.

And the little that he did say basically translates to "I don't watch Voracek".

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Do you watch Voracek?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So, you think the way Voracek has played the last two years he's a top first line forward? An elite player worth $8+M a year?

Yes, he skates well and makes pretty passes, but explain why he hasn't come close to his 2014-15 season since then - WITH THE SAME PLAYERS - it's not like the Flyers have made any changes in their top six. And these same players are in their prime years, so you can't blame age.

It amazing how the excuses mount up for G & V, these aren't 3rd line wingers making $3M a year, these are supposed to be top players paid like top players, but they're not producing like top players. At some point you have to hold the top players accountable.

And it's not just on offense, Giroux had another sloppy penalty, Voracek had a couple bad turnovers - their +/- numbers, while exaggerated, do reflect that they're not two way players anymore. Caps had their third line matched against Giroux, who won?

We simply don't have a 1st line, right now we have two second lines, a questionable third line and a fourth line that can't score to save its life. We not only need depth, we need some solid players that can take the pressure off G & V, because they can't carry the load.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Voracek uses his size all the time to protect the puck which is why his possession numbers are so good.

This is another one of those Simmonds-is-slow opinions that have no basis in reality.

agreed. I don't get how comments can be made like that about Jake. The guy is a beast when he has the puck when someone is trying to knock him off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark