Flyers' Misfortune and State of Mind

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
I was just thinking about it today and for the first time in a long time (been a fan for over 20 years of this team, light poster, but heavy follower of this forum) and I think post-draft is the first time where I've considered not following this team anymore, and maybe moving on to greener pasture, but just wanted an opportunity to share and revel with my peers in frustration a bit. Feel free to respond or not; vent, agree, disagree, but just posting this as a bit of an outlet.

I'm not nearly as cynical or critical as most on this forum to the Flyers management, even if I do agree with the general sentiment regarding their ineptitude over the last 15 years. I grew up in Chicago as a Blackhawks fan originally, and moved to the Flyers when Bill Wirtz kept screwing the team over and over again and I followed some of my favorite players to their new teams (i..e, JR, among others) due to a very passionate fan base and owner - and stuck with it, even through the dark days of Hextall and Fletcher.

However, I'm really starting to believe that the organization is cursed in some fashion - and I thought that was really going to be trending positively once Briere took over, but it's just gut-punch after gut-punch. Ignoring the list of all the things that have happened that are generally out of our control (Patrick, Lindblom, Ellis) among others of just pure bad luck (nevermind the crap management), I actually thought that we were on an upswing. Briere's first year was great, IMO - Michkov, dumping Provorov, Hayes, etc. and the draft last year was fantastic.

But I cannot help now see the implications of what has happened with Cutter Gauthier (and for the record, I don't really blame Briere or Flyers management for this) - but the problem is that the outstanding result is the same. The ripple effect that this has had again altered the direction of this franchise negatively, even if Michkov coming over early has been positive.

I don't think the Flyers passed on Buium just willy nilly; I really do believe that the agent had a hand in this - and I don't subscribe to the belief of drafting players regardless of outside factors - and I do think that teams and agents will always gravitate towrads working together if their relationship is favorable, and the opposite if it's not - and it's unrealistic to expect all teams work well with all agencies. But assuming those beliefs I outlined in this paragraph are true, and even if you were to totally absolve Flyers management (I don't, I do think they had a hand in this position we are in), if we assume that didn't happen, it's reasonable to believe our outcome for 24-25 would be:

Cutter Gauthier - one of the best prospects in the world, big, strong 2 way center (whether you believe he is a wing or not, the Flyers management drafted him in the hopes that he was a C), great shot, elite prospect, rising above his draft class on a team much needing center depth. Could have easily slotted in as #2C this year, along with the rest of our #2 or #3Cs, and emerged as the best of them by year's end.

Zeev Buium - As a result of the situation with Cutter, the team passed on an all-situations #1 d-man prospect, with historical numbers, because of relationship with agent. Again, I don't blame management for this 100% of not wanting to deal with the agent, but I can also see the other side where maybe they should have just taken him anyway unless they were given a notion that he wouldn't sign them. Don't know the full story of this, but at the end, we didn't take him.

MM - Coming over.

Instead of seeing CG, MM, Buium, three possible elite talents filtering in over the next 2 years, we get Luchanko, Drysdale and MM.

Maybe Luchanko is great - but it's still far more underwhelming than the former. The former also being a much more positive future-proof roster lineup, than the latter. And the deferral of more picks to next year just pushes all this back, and while I agree that it takes time, taking time to become great doesn't mean you don't see any improvements along the way. Now, with all the picks next year, I'm just waiting to see what will set us back next year, rather than hoping, because that's really all that's been happening.

It just seems like another setback in a myriad of setbacks.

Would love all of your thoughts, vents, agreements, disagreements, but just felt - for the first time in a long time - like writing a post on my perspective.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
From what we know, the Flyers absolutely deserve blame for the Cutter situation. Sure, he seems like a drama queen but the basic fight seems to be that we wouldn't agree with burning a year off his ELC. That is fairly common. But this organization had to show that you need to WANT to be a Flyer no matter what. Just another in a series of insane litmus tests for this team that acts like its Yankees but has the track record of the Mets.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Flyers have three current players represented by KO Sports Agency within their organization in Joel Farabee, Helge Grans, & Ryan Johansen. Sean Walker is also a client of that agency who the Flyers were talking contract extension talk with them prior to this deadline. The agency has 49 active contracts in the NHL right now.

It’s a big agency so it’s pretty hard to avoid their clients.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
As someone who is nearly 60, and has followed the Flyers since just before the Cup years, I can say without the slightest reservation, that the last 12 years have been, by far, the most depressing and horrible stretch in franchise history.

Honestly it’s not even close. The run from the firing of Hextall til today have left me, for the first time as a fan, utterly without hope. I have zero faith in Hilferty, his cheerleading stooge Jones, the in over his head Briere or his gluttonous sidekick Flahr. The coaching staff is garbage, the Developmental staff worse and the prospect pool, after Michkov, a complete joke after 4 straight years of missing the playoffs.

Short of selling the team, cleaning house and starting from scratch, they have ZERO chance of ever winning another Cup.

Last edited:

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
As someone who is nearly 60, and has followed the Flyers since just before the Cup years, I can say without the slightest reservation, that the last 12 years have been, by far, the most depressing and horrible stretch in franchise history.

Honestly it’s not even close. The run from the firing of Hextall til today have left me, for the first time as a fan, utterly without hope. I have zero faith in Hilferty, his cheerleading stooge Jones, the in over his head Briere or his gluttonous sidekick Flahr. The coaching staff is garbage, the Developmental staff worse and the prospect pool, after Michkov, a complete joke after 4 straight years of missing the playoffs.

Short of selling the team, cleaning house and starting from scratch, they have ZERO chance of ever winning another Cup.
I just turned 36 the other day and I know without a doubt I'll die never seeing them hoist a cup. Its just something I've come to terms with

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
I made the mistake of heading into this past draft with hope. Felt we’d do something aggressive to move up for a Michkov level prospect. As luck would have it, one, imo, fell to us. Not only didn’t we take him, we went off the board.

Magua’s statement “Briere is Fletcher” haunts me.
This is what I feel. Skill trumps everything, whcih is what I thought their philosophy was.

No way they had Buium ranked 'near' Luchanko. He may still become a 1C or top 6C, and that's fine, but Buium was record-level numbers. You just don't pass that up...

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
One draft shouldn’t change your mind. There are so many reasons you can make different evaluations on teenaged hockey players. I said this post-Michkov too. It goes both ways.

Evaluate the process as objectively as you can. Stop ascribing beliefs before you see them in practice. We don’t need to have fully-formed opinions on everything right away.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I was just thinking about it today and for the first time in a long time (been a fan for over 20 years of this team, light poster, but heavy follower of this forum) and I think post-draft is the first time where I've considered not following this team anymore, and maybe moving on to greener pasture, but just wanted an opportunity to share and revel with my peers in frustration a bit. Feel free to respond or not; vent, agree, disagree, but just posting this as a bit of an outlet.

I'm not nearly as cynical or critical as most on this forum to the Flyers management, even if I do agree with the general sentiment regarding their ineptitude over the last 15 years. I grew up in Chicago as a Blackhawks fan originally, and moved to the Flyers when Bill Wirtz kept screwing the team over and over again and I followed some of my favorite players to their new teams (i..e, JR, among others) due to a very passionate fan base and owner - and stuck with it, even through the dark days of Hextall and Fletcher.

However, I'm really starting to believe that the organization is cursed in some fashion - and I thought that was really going to be trending positively once Briere took over, but it's just gut-punch after gut-punch. Ignoring the list of all the things that have happened that are generally out of our control (Patrick, Lindblom, Ellis) among others of just pure bad luck (nevermind the crap management), I actually thought that we were on an upswing. Briere's first year was great, IMO - Michkov, dumping Provorov, Hayes, etc. and the draft last year was fantastic.

But I cannot help now see the implications of what has happened with Cutter Gauthier (and for the record, I don't really blame Briere or Flyers management for this) - but the problem is that the outstanding result is the same. The ripple effect that this has had again altered the direction of this franchise negatively, even if Michkov coming over early has been positive.

I don't think the Flyers passed on Buium just willy nilly; I really do believe that the agent had a hand in this - and I don't subscribe to the belief of drafting players regardless of outside factors - and I do think that teams and agents will always gravitate towrads working together if their relationship is favorable, and the opposite if it's not - and it's unrealistic to expect all teams work well with all agencies. But assuming those beliefs I outlined in this paragraph are true, and even if you were to totally absolve Flyers management (I don't, I do think they had a hand in this position we are in), if we assume that didn't happen, it's reasonable to believe our outcome for 24-25 would be:

Cutter Gauthier - one of the best prospects in the world, big, strong 2 way center (whether you believe he is a wing or not, the Flyers management drafted him in the hopes that he was a C), great shot, elite prospect, rising above his draft class on a team much needing center depth. Could have easily slotted in as #2C this year, along with the rest of our #2 or #3Cs, and emerged as the best of them by year's end.

Zeev Buium - As a result of the situation with Cutter, the team passed on an all-situations #1 d-man prospect, with historical numbers, because of relationship with agent. Again, I don't blame management for this 100% of not wanting to deal with the agent, but I can also see the other side where maybe they should have just taken him anyway unless they were given a notion that he wouldn't sign them. Don't know the full story of this, but at the end, we didn't take him.

MM - Coming over.

Instead of seeing CG, MM, Buium, three possible elite talents filtering in over the next 2 years, we get Luchanko, Drysdale and MM.

Maybe Luchanko is great - but it's still far more underwhelming than the former. The former also being a much more positive future-proof roster lineup, than the latter. And the deferral of more picks to next year just pushes all this back, and while I agree that it takes time, taking time to become great doesn't mean you don't see any improvements along the way. Now, with all the picks next year, I'm just waiting to see what will set us back next year, rather than hoping, because that's really all that's been happening.

Would love all of your thoughts, vents, agreements, disagreements, but just felt - for the first time in a long time - like writing a post on my perspective.
do it... there really is no hope until the oldbois club is purged.

some of us are so far down the hole theres no going back... 45+ years here...

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
One draft shouldn’t change your mind. There are so many reasons you can make different evaluations on teenaged hockey players. I said this post-Michkov too. It goes both ways.

Evaluate the process as objectively as you can. Stop ascribing beliefs before you see them in practice. We don’t need to have fully-formed opinions on everything right away.
Two weeks, Jojo.

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The sad thing is take something that is important, but they put so much into that one thing, that they forget that other things matter.

Of course you want players that work hard and put the welfare of the team before their own individual success. But there’s more to building a great team than just gathering a bunch of players that work hard. They put little to no value on pure skill, creativity, and the ability to innovate and think outside the box. They put little to no value on analytics or modern coaching and development methods.

I don’t see them doing a 180 on this anytime soon. Self reflection is not an organizational priority.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Evaluate the process as objectively as you can.

200w.gif

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

MM - Coming over.

I second your perspective, djp. After that abysmal round 1, I took a day away from this board because I was so depressed with the implications beyond it.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany

I'am with you but the process is even worse than this draft:naughty:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I hear you man. To go from the option of Michkov, Cutter, Buium to what we have now is so depressing. We would likely be looking at drafting a likely 1C and 2C this coming draft. That makes us a contender…

The Flyers have three current players represented by KO Sports Agency within their organization in Joel Farabee, Helge Grans, & Ryan Johansen. Sean Walker is also a client of that agency who the Flyers were talking contract extension talk with them prior to this deadline. The agency has 49 active contracts in the NHL right now.

It’s a big agency so it’s pretty hard to avoid their clients.
That’s not really refuting the OP. Farabee is on the block for no good reason. RJo is faking an injury not to play here when he was fine 1 min before being traded. Cutter and Buium. That’s a lot of evidence to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad