Rumor: Flyers Made Pitch to Columbus for 4th Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If it's the Flyers' pick, they need to at least top-5 protect it. Preferably top 10, because I know this franchise, if we top 5 protect it we'll finish 4th and have two teams lotto-jump us, but at least we won't Pollock ourselves that way.

Also, of course, depends on the roster player, and what the pick becomes if it doesn't convert.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I am gonna be completely honest...you still have some 24 hours...if you were REALLY serious right now you make them sweat and stay up all night over it. Try to shake more out of them and make the commit to an overpay ESPECIALLY when the modern era picks in the top 5 are extremely expensive.

Like at this point you have to think the offer has to include Konecny because he's the type of RW Johnny would need right now but this trade doesn't answer our major concern which is a long term 2C solution.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I am gonna be completely honest...you still have some 24 hours...if you were REALLY serious right now you make them sweat and stay up all night over it. Try to shake more out of them and make the commit to an overpay ESPECIALLY when the modern era picks in the top 5 are extremely expensive.

Like at this point the offer has to include Konecny because he's the type of RW Johnny would need right now but this trade doesn't answer our major concern which is a long term 2C solution.
I just don't see it. Unless the jackets feel that they can snag Sennecke at 12.

Reactions: Indy18

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I just don't see it. Unless the jackets feel that they can snag Sennecke at 12.
Exactly I don't either. The only way I see us snagging Sennecke at this late (I am gonna call my shot that Sennecke is going to be the suprise off the board pick early anyways) is if Devils come in and pick Eiserman forcing the Sharks to take a Dman (Which they REALLY should do with that pick anyways but that's just my opinion)

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Like at this point the offer has to include Konecny because he's the type of RW Johnny would need right now but this trade doesn't answer our major concern which is a long term 2C solution.
I get pushing for as much as you can get, but Konecny and 12 is an overpayment for 4, let alone another #1 next year.

If it's protected that thoroughly, it's no good to us.

And if we give up the #1 pick, we'll set the city on fire. I don't want to live in a blazing inferno.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

Like at this point you have to think the offer has to include Konecny because he's the type of RW Johnny would need right now but this trade doesn't answer our major concern which is a long term 2C solution.
Yeah, this is one of those situations where you are really over estimating what you actually have, to the point where the pick isn't really 'available' as much as it is claimed to be.

No way TK is involved in this. Him + 12 would probably be enough, straight up.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I get pushing for as much as you can get, but Konecny and 12 is an overpayment for 4, let alone another #1 next year.
Yes. That's the point.
And if we give up the #1 pick, we'll set the city on fire. I don't want to live in a blazing inferno.
I was kind of imagining the "minimal protections" described was "if you win #1 overall, we'll do something else; otherwise, pay up."

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Yes. That's the point.

I was kind of imagining the "minimal protections" described was "if you win #1 overall, we'll do something else; otherwise, pay up."
Doubt it. My guess is Flyers want top 15 protection, and CLB wants top 10 protection, knowing pretty well that there's a decent chance Flyers will finish between 10-15.

This isn't a #1 overall protection type.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

Oh I agree that I think it would be overpayment, but the Jackets don't have any reason to move back.

As others have said, if I'm Waddell and I know the Briere REALLY wants that pick im just gonna sit back and see how desperate he gets, with no intention of moving the pick unless he gives me a downright stupid offer that I can't say no to.

CBJ being able to build around Fantilli and Lindstrom is EXACTLY what the franchise has needed over it's entire existence lol

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Wait, you changed the cat in your avatar?

While obviously tuxedo cats are a delight, the other one one was super cute

Yes, I like to focus on the things that really matter.
1694661892128011.gif

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Yes. That's the point.
Except the CLB GM has actually said it is... so not sure your point.

Oh I agree that I think it would be overpayment, but the Jackets don't have any reason to move back.

As others have said, if I'm Waddell and I know the Briere REALLY wants that pick im just gonna sit back and see how desperate he gets, with no intention of moving the pick unless he gives me a downright stupid offer that I can't say no to.

CBJ being able to build around Fantilli and Lindstrom is EXACTLY what the franchise has needed over it's entire existence lol
Every year there's a 'this is exactly what's needed' to rebuild the franchise. And every year there's an excuse as to why they are drafting top 5. On verge of becoming EDM, so keep believing that more top 5 picks is the solution.

The problem in CLB isn't the talent, actually. They have a lot, and lot of high end talent. They have for a long time. It's everything else.

It's akin to holding a well full of polluted water. You can add more water, but it still won't clean it up.

With Fantilli, Jiricek, and the other surrounding pieces. CLB has enough high end talent to grow and become a contender. Adding another high end piece will only result in that piece either:

1) not developing because there's other high end pieces that require ice time
2) not having a big enough role to satisfy their own role
3) not blending well enough to be traded later (this has already happened: see Buffalo)

You also need players that can provide good support that don't need to be the 'man' (you need a lot more of these) than 5 superstars.

No matter what folks want to believe, nobody can win a cup with 20 McDavids because you simply can't afford to.

Just my opinon.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad