Confirmed with Link: Flyers Great Ryan Johansen Placed On Waivers For Purpose Of Terminating Contract Due To "Material Breach"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Figure either he lied about being unable to play (preventing them from buying him out) or failed a drug test.
What else could constitute a "material breach" for a player on LTIR?

Reactions: BernieParent

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
They are biologically incapable of avoiding drama.

Figure either he lied about being unable to play (preventing them from buying him out) or failed a drug test.
What else could constitute a "material breach" for a player on LTIR?

Being detained at the border for possession of a controlled substance would be one completely random guess.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What is a material breach?

Cross-posting from the trade board:

IANAL, but some quick Google-Fu suggests that a material breach, while not defined in the CBA, is a significant enough breach in the terms of a contract as to deem the contract irreparably broken (and justifying suing for damages, among other things, though that may not apply in this case due to CBA provisions.)

We have some lawyers here, so feel free to correct me if I'm missing something salient in the description.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
hell-yeah-dance.gif

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Do you have a link for that? Not that I disbelieve you of all people, but my sieve-like-recollection was the complete opposite.

Of course. We all had the same reaction. Then Friedman went on the record.

"I didn't think there was any chance that Johansen was going to play there. He was going to be waived, and then when he cleared, he was going to go to the minor leagues or somewhere else," Friedman said on the 32 Thoughts podcast. "Don't forget he and Tortorella have a complicated history, to say the least. Then I heard there was some attempt at reconciliation. Johansen indicated that he would like to make it work and play in the NHL for the Flyers."

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Of course.

"I didn't think there was any chance that Johansen was going to play there. He was going to be waived, and then when he cleared, he was going to go to the minor leagues or somewhere else," Friedman said on the 32 Thoughts podcast. "Don't forget he and Tortorella have a complicated history, to say the least. Then I heard there was some attempt at reconciliation. Johansen indicated that he would like to make it work and play in the NHL for the Flyers."
Thanks, appreciate it. The first half tracks with what I remember, then sounds like some additional info came out after what I heard/read (edit).

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad