The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: Bruins will make a trade, but how much of their future are they willing to cede?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I feel like not winning the cup and going after rentals is half-assed.

I don't know which prospects are going to pan out, if I did, I'd be a pro scout. I do know the more they have, the better the odds are. I think at this stage it's better to see what we have, because I think we fundamentally disagree how close we think this team is to being a cup contender.

I think most of the people here agree, the team as it is isn't good enough to get there yet. Where people disagree is how close they are and what they can do to get there. I'll reiterate, I don't think grabbing rentals is in the best interest of this team. That's my opinion, and not much is going to change from what I've seen of this current team as built. They acquire someone that's in the plans moving forward, I'm definitely more open to it, just say no to rentals.
Don’t think they have much of a chance without some serious upgrades. They’re in a funny spot though.

Aside from Pastrnak they don’t have much to get excited about as far as players entering the primes of their careers.

So you either sell the farm and pray, giving the guys that won you a cup another chance or two. Or you start throwing them overboard before their value tanks.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
You feel winning the Cup is "half-assed"?

Which of our current prospects do you feel will make this team "elite' in 5 years? More elite than Bergeron, Marchand, Pasta, Rask are now? They won't be as elite in 5 years.

Funny things happen, and a lot of funny things can happen in 5 years. Five years before the Krejci won the Cup and lead the league in playoff production he was KO'd in his first NHL game by Adam Mair.

Last edited:

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
How about 5 years of just merely a competitive team?

I think the Bruins are still at the point we need to see what we have, and see which guys pan out.

Throwing out the young potential for (what I consider) half-assed win now chances aren't good for the franchise. This team is solid, but not elite. We shouldn't be in the "all-in" mode, as we are still years away.

I'm not against moving any of the young players or prospect. Just if we do, I sure as hell hope it's for someone that's gonna be on this team (and we want them here) for years to come.

The bold is the issue for me. I don't see the prospect group helping significantly this year or next. At At the current pace, Bergy and Krecji, at a minimum, will be in their declining years before the youth movement has any major impact on the team.

Like you indicate, though, the middling sort of additions are not going to transform the team into a contender.

Here's my 3-5 year plan....

Go for it now. Go hard after a Stone-level player, be aggressive in targeting someone with an extra year of term as well...maybe a name that isn't currently being tossed around so much. Try to retain Vaak...he's a huge piece of the B's future. Everyone else? not s concerned.

If they don't win or go deep this year or next? They have two top offensive players at attractive salaries who can be moved for a serious and fast rebuild.

I'd rather go for it now, and be prepared to rebuild rather than spend the next 5 years hovering around 8th in the conference with no real shot at a cup.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
How has that worked out the past 5 seasons?

Didn't trade Eriksson missed the playoffs.
The years we did make it in, we gave up assets for the likes of Lee Stempniak and a bunch of players I can't/don't want to remember, and rental Rick Nash (yes, I know what happened wasn't planned, but he was still a rental nonetheless). Countless other inconsequential moves that add up to less ability to move out players for actual needs.

With the way the team is built, I'd rather suffer through some of the younger guys learning the ropes and losing, than acquiring or signing Brian Gionta or Lee Stempniak types that don't really push us over the hump. Both scenarios, we don't win, but one gives us better hope when we are ready.

I guess it's where everyone sees this current team. I personally don't think 1-2 players is going to make us a contender, unless those players young enough and are legitimately here for at least a few more years.
I think it's worked pretty well. The players felt like we added and playoff excuses were removed. The kids got valuable playoff experience and got to play with proven vets in the most intense hockey of their lives. Everyone in the organization has that feeling like we will always add if we're in a playoff position.

Not everybody that deals at the deadline wins the Cup, but that doesn't mean 15 teams failed. That's a loser's lament. There are lots of other positives that come from being a team that always adds, including making it a place people want to play and are willing to sign or re-sign with.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone else have a subscription to the Athletic?

I find their Bruins content to be lacking quality for the most part. At least when compared to the teams I follow from other sports.

i think it's pretty good overall. although a lot of their writers sorta disappear in and out for decent stretches.
not a huge fan of long form writing, so some of it is a no click for me. if you're talking day to day bruins,
i would say matt porter is the best out there. he played in college and knows the game very well, is really
on top of everything that goes on. and he's a good dude.

Reactions: kjpm and DaaaaB's

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Let’s have a more permanent fix. Trade and sign one of these FA and then move the money/players around after the season.
Backes seems like a great guy but that 6 million is killing them
I like Rask but almost 8 million for a goalie is not good for the budget and of course the Chara contracts going forward
There is money and Sweeney will have to deal with it after the season
I know I am over simplifying but just thinking out loud

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I think it's worked pretty well. The players felt like we added and playoff excuses were removed. The kids got valuable playoff experience and got to play with proven vets in the most intense hockey of their lives. Everyone in the organization has that feeling like we will always add if we're in a playoff position.

Not everybody that deals at the deadline wins the Cup, but that doesn't mean 15 teams failed. That's a loser's lament. There are lots of other positives that come from being a team that always adds, including making it a place people want to play and are willing to sign or re-sign with.

Thanks for making those points. I get frustrated with the 'We're not winning The Cup so why bother' crowd as it overlooks major parts of building a good competitive team and goes against my philosophy.

Bruins are a great example of the positives of sacrificing a bit of 'the future' in terms of prospects or picks but creating a winning environment and culture. The kids get more opportunities in high pressure situations, or even if they don't see the ice they're in the room, at practice, around the vets, and see what it takes. The experience is worth more in development than a few higher picks in the draft or losing out on a couple rounds or something. And you get to see which kids rise to the occasion and which flounder.

Also - completely agree that a team dedicated to winning becomes an attractive place for players to play. Everyone from Krug signing to Loui Eriksson waiving his NTC because it was The Bruins to Tavares and Kovy having them on their short-list, etc. You'll find players that want to play in a winning environment and those are the kind of players you want.

The Bruins are one of the last few anti-Tank teams left. As fans we should be incredibly happy and proud of that.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It gets old reading all the "we can't beat team X" blah blah blah. If the Bruins make the playoffs, anything can happen- injuries, suspensions, exhaustion. Can they be improved? Clearly, and we all hope they are. What fan wouldn't want that, but wanting to chuck it all out because we aren't winning a cup on paper seriously sucks as a point of view.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I will be happy when the trade deadline has past. I believe if bothers the players even if they won't admit it.

if it bother us here, can`t imagine what it`s like, in the day and age of social media to be a guy whose name is being mentioned on literally every broadcast where hockey is being reported on

Trade deadline for me is like standing on the first tee on a beautiful sunny day , haven`t taken a swing yet, so much promise, so much hope for a good round, when my round is done, sometimes I am really happy with what I did, other times a little less so

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
It gets old reading all the "we can't beat team X" blah blah blah. If the Bruins make the playoffs, anything can happen- injuries, suspensions, exhaustion. Can they be improved? Clearly, and we all hope they are. What fan wouldn't want that, but wanting to chuck it all out because we aren't winning a cup on paper seriously sucks as a point of view.

I think this team could be any team in the league in a 7 game series. Certainly we're underdogs against Tampa, and maybe the Leafs, but with our top line, experience, our solid 4th line, goaltending, and defensive depth - don't count them out. And if Sweeney can address the third line/2nd line wing issues - I like our chances against anyone.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
i think it's pretty good overall. although a lot of their writers sorta disappear in and out for decent stretches.
not a huge fan of long form writing, so some of it is a no click for me. if you're talking day to day bruins,
i would say matt porter is the best out there. he played in college and knows the game very well, is really
on top of everything that goes on. and he's a good dude.
Yes, there's definitely a lot of long winded articles. Some I like, others I don't. The coverage for the two NFL teams that I follow is a lot better then the Bruins coverage imo. More articles with analysis, film breakdown, predictions and tidbits from locker room/practice.

I didn't realize Porter played college hockey. I've heard good things about his writing but I don't have a globe subscription. I might have to squeeze that into the budget.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I didn't realize Porter played college hockey. I've heard good things about his writing but I don't have a globe subscription. I might have to squeeze that into the budget.

i skated with him once or twice - good player, good wheels, smart with the puck. solid defender.
he's a sharp guy who grew up a bruins fan, is on top of everything that goes on. and he's not one
of those clickbait rumor mongers like jimmy thin skins, haggs or some of those other guys.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Does anyone else have a subscription to the Athletic?

I find their Bruins content to be lacking quality for the most part. At least when compared to the teams I follow from other sports.
I am. I like Joe McDonald. Fluto, not so much.

It's definitely not my first go-to for Bruins, but they have some pretty interesting articles outside of that, so I've found it to be worth it so far.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Jamie Rodgers

Feb 7, 2019
I'm more then just a little concerned about what I'm reading here. I didn't want to quote Fenway's entire post so I copied what concerns me...

There is an elephant in the room that looms over this process. Charlie Jacobs has made it clear he wants his parents to win another Cup. That is his #1 priority and it won't change.

Please dear Lord tell me that Charlie Jacobs isn't involved in the discussions to improve the Bruins just so daddy can have another Cup...

Talk trades and prospects all you want but as a Bruins fan this scares the living crap out of me...

Jamie Rodgers

Feb 7, 2019
But now onto speculation on who the Bruins will bring into the fold.

Everything I've read or heard Sweeney say is he'd prefer to trade for a player with TERM still remaining on his contract.

So, for me that leaves one guy who I feel would help the Bruins and also help Krejci...and he is none other then Tarasenko of the Blues.

He still has term remaining on his contract which fit's Sweeney's wish and he's a goal scorer at heart. Acquiring someone like him makes it much easier to give up prospects like DeBrusk...you don't have to worry about trying to make them fit with any new contract.

And even though the Blues have moved into 3rd place, lets not forget who they'd have to defeat to move on. Not an easy road to travel.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
But now onto speculation on who the Bruins will bring into the fold.

Everything I've read or heard Sweeney say is he'd prefer to trade for a player with TERM still remaining on his contract.

So, for me that leaves one guy who I feel would help the Bruins and also help Krejci...and he is none other then Tarasenko of the Blues.

He still has term remaining on his contract which fit's Sweeney's wish and he's a goal scorer at heart. Acquiring someone like him makes it much easier to give up prospects like DeBrusk...you don't have to worry about trying to make them fit with any new contract.

And even though the Blues have moved into 3rd place, lets not forget who they'd have to defeat to move on. Not an easy road to travel.

I listened to Doug Armstrong 3 days ago live radio and you can forget this 1,000,000%

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm more then just a little concerned about what I'm reading here. I didn't want to quote Fenway's entire post so I copied what concerns me...

There is an elephant in the room that looms over this process. Charlie Jacobs has made it clear he wants his parents to win another Cup. That is his #1 priority and it won't change.

Please dear Lord tell me that Charlie Jacobs isn't involved in the discussions to improve the Bruins just so daddy can have another Cup...

Talk trades and prospects all you want but as a Bruins fan this scares the living crap out of me...
yeah I hate having an owner who wants the team to win a Cup :huh:

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
yeah I hate having an owner who wants the team to win a Cup :huh:
J.Jacobs seems like the kind of guy that just says things out loud and you’d better be paying attention if you’re an employee.

Things like, you know what would be nice? Winning a cup again. Just loud enough that those around him who need to hear it can hear it.

I doubt Charlie talks like that to a reporter randomly. He’s been told it. I also doubt there wasn’t a meaning behind what he said to Cam and Donald.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
"We're going to get one hell of a player back at some point in time" --- Sweeney is referring to Pastrnak here.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
By announcing they want a cup for dad surely makes Sweeney’s job that much harder. Just keep stuff like this in house.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

It scares you that management wants to win a Cup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad