Value of: Florida should trade Bobrovsky

Jun 15, 2007
Yeah I know they just won a cup with him.

But

Bobrovsky is maybe the most inconsistent goalie in the world

He has some great seasons like 2 Vezinas, sweeping the Lighting and winning the cup this season. But in between those highlights he's been mediocre to terrible.

There's no guarantee he will be good the remainder of his contract. In fact I'd bet against it.

The Panthers should trade him while his value is sky high.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
There was a reason why Bob was the first player that Barkov handed the Cup to. For all his ups and downs, he's been largely phenomenal in the playoffs the past two seasons and was a serious contender for the Conn Smythe.

The goalie market has also all but dried up at this point. Who's still seriously in need - Toronto, maybe Detroit?

Who would be the starter in Florida? They're a win-now team with a potential HOF goalie that just go the job done.

This makes less than zero sense.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
He only has 2 years left and he won you the cup. Just ride it out. If someone who isn't on his 16 team no trade list blows you out of the water with an offer, sure, go for it. But it's not like this contract has 5 years left on it.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania

But

He has some great seasons like 2 Vezinas, sweeping the Lighting and winning the cup this season. But in between those highlights he's been mediocre to terrible.

There's no guarantee he will be good the remainder of his contract. In fact I'd bet against it.

his value is not sky high, his cap is too much they'd be hard pressed to find a willing dance partner, and he has the NTM/NMC. Not happening.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Bob has an NMC until July 1 and then there's a list of 15 teams you could trade him to. It's difficult to imagine who those 15 teams would be and whether there's enough wiggle room to make something happen but it's possible. I doubt his value is honestly that high though even with a Cup. It's still 10 mil minus whatever retention Florida is willing to do in a spot where their next goalie up is making 4.5 mil. Big money goalies are not easy to move and you won't get much for them even with significant retention.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
It's not a terrible idea for Florida to at least consider the idea or trading him while his value will never be this high. Florida would have to retain at least 30% of his 10M cap hit.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
After the playoffs Bob has had, i can't believe that someone is suggesting he should be traded. He was the difference in them winning and losing, in the series. Do you really want to hand the net over to Stolarz and Knight?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

But

Just to be clear in season Bob is inconsistent however he has played a key part in getting the Panthers to the Cup Finals 2 years in a row.

However for all the reasons you state PLUS his NTC PLUS his $10 M AAV makes him untradeable.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023

But

His value isn't sky high. He doesn't get a bump in value just because he won the Cup. His value is pretty much capped because he's a goalie making 10M who, as you mention, is streaky. When he's right, he's the best in the league. When he's off, he's unmovable. No team is going to give you a mint for that. Enjoy him in Florida and hope you get good Bob more than bad Bob.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Bob has an NMC until July 1 and then there's a list of 15 teams you could trade him to. It's difficult to imagine who those 15 teams would be and whether there's enough wiggle room to make something happen but it's possible.

At a guess, I would look for 15 teams that either outright can't afford to add a $10M player at any position, or teams where he'd be a $10M backup, and their GM would be tossed out a window for suggesting they trade for him. That would leave him with a functional 31 team NTC without being an actual one.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It's not a terrible idea for Florida to at least consider the idea or trading him while his value will never be this high. Florida would have to retain at least 30% of his 10M cap hit.

You're right, it's not a terrible idea...it's beyond a terrible idea to consider trading a potential future HOF goalie that just won your franchise its first Cup ever and was 3rd in Conn Smythe voting.

Who replaces him in net - Stolarz (pending UFA)? Knight (didn't play a minute in the NHL this season)?

I guess maybe you get a goalie back in a trade...but this is a win-now team that's just been to 2 straight Cup Finals on the back of Bobrovsky. It's lunacy to think about trading him right now. That would be horribly received by the players in the locker room regardless of any return.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

But

The D in front of him the last two years is night and day. That’s the biggest difference.

Reactions: Gentle Man

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Bob holds all the cards. Can’t imagine the organization would even approach him with a trade.

As of July 1st, he doesn't. The NMC becomes a 16 team NTC. That said, the optics would be terrible to trade him after his performance in the playoffs. But if the right deal comes along, you have to at least entertain the idea.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I wouldn't say Bob is inconsistent. When the Panthers were a run&gun team, he was straight awful. Since Maurice has implemented his system, he has had 3 bad weeks, which all things considered is very good. And I'm not a Bob sycophant, I wanted him bought-out during the first offseason. Thank you Panthers for not hiring me.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Terrible idea, they'd probably need to retain to make it worthwhile for the receiving team, and need to replace him in goal with someone good as they are still a contender and also... who can/would even trade for him?

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

But in between those highlights he's been mediocre to terrible.

With all that going against him, not to.mention age and cap hit, would you trade for him at a sky high price? Good or bad, the Panthers are stuck with Bob until at least the 2026 deadline.

Goalies are not forwards or defensemen. You can't decrease their ice time. As useless as Huberdeau has become, if the Flames were better, they could hide him in the mix somewhere. Goalies either play, or sit, no in between.

If you don't think Bob will even be good for the remainder of his term, what sky high value would you trade for maybe a $5m backup? That's assuming Florida is so desperate to get rid of him that they'd retain 50%.

He's happy in Florida. I'm sure the Panthers are happy now having something to show for the bad contract he got. Unless things got bad, both will ride it out to the end. They're not chasing the Cup anymore. They'll do what every champ does, and hand out some big Cup contracts, price themselves out of winning, and remember the good old days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad