GDT: Florida Panthers vs Carolina Panthers

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Jordo is only on this team because he can win faceoffs

Without that he has no redeeming quality anymore

Yeah and tonight he was 7W 12L for 37%. He just sucks....time to make a change.

I agree re: forwards. Our chip and cycle game doesn't work against Fl this year....

Last edited:
Reactions: Svechhammer

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
They only put up 18 shots all game. They absolutely didn’t deserve to win the game. I’ll take the point and be happy with it

Not to mention our two goals were complete flukes. This could easily be a shutout.

I still think Florida is one of those great regular season teams but playoff worthless like the Caps circa 2011

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I know it'll fall on deaf ears in an emotional time, but this really doesn't mean much more than any regular season loss, though I wanted the win big time. We're gonna make it. We hopefully get some guys going and improve the roster in the next couple months. I mean, we owned them pretty hard last year if I'm not mistaken. They're a great team and we likely had a bullseye on our backs as a good team they wanted to play well against this year.

Ultimately, the regular season record against any individual team doesn't mean much. Washington won 4 of 4 against this group and lost the playoff series. The Rangers had the psychological edge and got swept.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Guess the good news is it feels like we played pretty poorly in all three games against Florida and still stayed in it. We're good at doing that in general even in our shitty games.

Reactions: Tryamw

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I know it'll fall on deaf ears in an emotional time, but this really doesn't mean much more than any regular season loss, though I wanted the win big time. We're gonna make it. We hopefully get some guys going and improve the roster in the next couple months. I mean, we owned them pretty hard last year if I'm not mistaken. They're a great team and we likely had a bullseye on our backs as a good team they wanted to play well against this year.

It isnt this one loss. Its losing 4 of 5, several to real shitty teams and looking like total trash.

Its just not there right now. They might need a bag skate.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
You’re blaming the guy matching up with Barkov and Huberdeau and not the 9 other guys who did ZERO. You’re projecting onto Staal this game for no reason whatsoever. Svech was ghost after the first. Tro was worthless from start to finish. Necas did nothing. Jarvis looked like a completely overmatched rookie.

But for some reason you’re fixeated on the big old defensive center as the reason they lost. It’s f***ing embarrassing.

Well...you are right about the others but Staal is a pile of manure right now.

36% face-off tonight, no hits, no physical payback by him for our guys getting run...candidly, he's a shit C right now (if he's hurt then put him on IR & get better).

Reactions: Svechhammer

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It isnt this one loss. Its losing 4 of 5, several to real shitty teams and looking like total trash.

Its just not there right now. They might need a bag skate.
Again, it's not something I'd want to linger but it doesn't matter. I don't want to be the team that spends it all in the regular season. We'll be in. Get it going at the end. They'll break out of this slump.

Reactions: Tryamw and VAcaniac

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Going to add this, RBAs love affair with Jordan is problematic, he needs to start trusting the other centers. No reason for Staal to be out there for the last minutes of the game and then going out for the draw in OT.

Hell will freeze over before this happens but I'd be OK with going ahead and giving Drury his spot. Let Rod teach Drury how to be a face-off king and we should be good to go.

J Staals best days are behind him. We knew that but he's really taken a plunge career wise this year and it's sad to see.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Well...you are right about the others but Staal is a pile of manure right now.

36% face-off tonight, no hits, no physical payback by him for our guys getting run...candidly, he's a shit C right now (if he's hurt then put him on IR & get better).

I watched him bury Barkov in the last 5 minutes. He manhandled the Florida d-man and got the puck to D’Angelo for the go ahead goal. I get he’s not good right now, but tonight wasn’t that night. He was one of the better forwards on the ice in the final two periods.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I do think Staal has been marginally better recently but obviously still not good enough.

I've said for a few years that we need to find a way to add scoring depth at the deadline. Sure, improve the blue line, but we need another scorer.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I watched him bury Barkov in the last 5 minutes. He manhandled the Florida d-man and got the puck to D’Angelo for the go ahead goal. I get he’s not good right now, but tonight wasn’t that night. He was one of the better forwards on the ice in the final two periods.
Shying away from a hit and missing a bunny = losing the game. Doesn’t matter what he did for 5 minutes before that. He lost the game on a gimme cuz he didn’t want to take a hit

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
They're still hung up on the whole 'diving' thing from like 15 years ago.
I’m going to get shot as the Florida fan here but who cares.

Last year some overly exuberant Canes fans invaded the board during the game and afterwards, trolling a good bit, when you guys killed up. Personally speaking, I enjoy the cleverness of the Canes board and it didn’t both me; it annoyed others.

About the teams, I think Florida fans are happy to finally win against the Canes after last season and having confusing feeling about Trocheck’s rebound (I’m fine with it; getting Forsling for free made me move on and Trocheck is a good guy even if his last couple of seasons were rough on Florida)

Edit: good games Canes and I’ll show myself the door!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad