Florida Panthers Roster (looking forward)

tmorton

Aug 26, 2024
First time posting, but I've been a frequent visitor of this forum for about a decade.

As a Florida fan, I hear a lot of people saying "oh now that you've won they'll never be able to keep the team together". I honestly don't think that's true, and I'm here to post about it. Let's look at 2025.

Key Contracts Due 2025
Sam Bennett (currently cap hit $4.425 M)
Carter Verhaeghe (current cap hit $4.2 M)
Aaron Ekblad (current cap hit $7.5 M)

also coming off the books $1.24 M for Keith Yandle

So looking at these three deals, we have $17.4 M coming off the books (in addition to some minor losses, which I'll touch on later). I don't think a contract of 5 x $6 M is unreasonable for either Verhaeghe or Bennett. We may have to add a 6th year for Bennett, but Marchessault is a decent comp for these guys. The big question mark here is Ekblad. I think we all know he's not worth his $7.5 M deal, and I'm sure his camp is aware of it too. If we can convince him to stick with a ~ $6 M x 7 deal, we'd get him locked up as well. Even this deal scares me a bit, but his advanced metrics show he's still extremely strong on the defensive side. This year is the biggest obstacle of "keeping the band back together", but I think it's doable. And if not, we can probably grab someone else of similar quality for that $6 M cap hit.

Any of the other expiring contracts, as well as the cap raise (possibly another 4 M?) can be used to replace the one year pacts for Schmidt or Nosek, or the extend Boqvist squared.

Key Contracts Due 2026
Here's the big one, this is the year Bob is a UFA. Either we would sign him back on a sweatheart deal and/or sign a tandem/backup option and save well over $5M. This combined with cap increases and we could add a decent 2D or great second pair D with the savings.

Basically if we can make it through 2025 with the above signings we are in phenomenal shape longer term. We'd have Luostarinin and Rodriguez both for one more year, and any cap raises are gravy as our top two lines (plus) would be completely locked up with money to spare. As some of those players age and need to be pushed to the 3rd (and eventually 4th) line, we will have money to suppliment the top of the lineup.

All hail Zito.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
First time posting, but I've been a frequent visitor of this forum for about a decade.

As a Florida fan, I hear a lot of people saying "oh now that you've won they'll never be able to keep the team together". I honestly don't think that's true, and I'm here to post about it. Let's look at 2025.

Key Contracts Due 2025
Sam Bennett (currently cap hit $4.425 M)
Carter Verhaeghe (current cap hit $4.2 M)
Aaron Ekblad (current cap hit $7.5 M)

also coming off the books $1.24 M for Keith Yandle

So looking at these three deals, we have $17.4 M coming off the books (in addition to some minor losses, which I'll touch on later). I don't think a contract of 5 x $6 M is unreasonable for either Verhaeghe or Bennett. We may have to add a 6th year for Bennett, but Marchessault is a decent comp for these guys. The big question mark here is Ekblad. I think we all know he's not worth his $7.5 M deal, and I'm sure his camp is aware of it too. If we can convince him to stick with a ~ $6 M x 7 deal, we'd get him locked up as well. Even this deal scares me a bit, but his advanced metrics show he's still extremely strong on the defensive side. This year is the biggest obstacle of "keeping the band back together", but I think it's doable. And if not, we can probably grab someone else of similar quality for that $6 M cap hit.

Any of the other expiring contracts, as well as the cap raise (possibly another 4 M?) can be used to replace the one year pacts for Schmidt or Nosek, or the extend Boqvist squared.

Key Contracts Due 2026
Here's the big one, this is the year Bob is a UFA. Either we would sign him back on a sweatheart deal and/or sign a tandem/backup option and save well over $5M. This combined with cap increases and we could add a decent 2D or great second pair D with the savings.

Basically if we can make it through 2025 with the above signings we are in phenomenal shape longer term. We'd have Luostarinin and Rodriguez both for one more year, and any cap raises are gravy as our top two lines (plus) would be completely locked up with money to spare. As some of those players age and need to be pushed to the 3rd (and eventually 4th) line, we will have money to suppliment the top of the lineup.

All hail Zito.

Verhaeghe will be getting a lot more than that on his next contract. Think around the $8m per year mark.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Bennett will get offered $7-8M by some team like Ottawa, Winnipeg or Detroit with max term and we'll lose him. Will suck, but I'm glad we won one with him on a cheap deal.

Bennett walks for way too much.

Verhaghe signs for $8M ish

Ekblad takes a pay cut or gets overpaid as a UFA.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Bennett will get offered $7-8M by some team like Ottawa, Winnipeg or Detroit with max term and we'll lose him. Will suck, but I'm glad we won one with him on a cheap deal.

Bennett walks for way too much.

Verhaghe signs for $8M ish

Ekblad takes a pay cut or gets overpaid as a UFA.
I don’t think so.

Fors and Reino made it work. Lundell is sticking around. Swaggy will get $7 x 7, Benny will get $6 x 7, Ek will get $4 x 7. And they’ll be happy.

Zito is a friggin genius. He’ll make it work. He will have Barky and Fors together cheaper than Edmonton will have McD. And he’ll have Lundell and Benny together cheaper than Drai. And I’d take those 4 over those 2 for the same money every day and twice on Sundays. We’re gonna be good for a long long time, get ready.

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I don’t think so.

Fors and Reino made it work. Lundell is sticking around. Swaggy will get $7 x 7, Benny will get $6 x 7, Ek will get $4 x 7. And they’ll be happy.

Zito is a friggin genius. He’ll make it work. He will have Barky and Fors together cheaper than Edmonton will have McD. And he’ll have Lundell and Benny together cheaper than Drai. And I’d take those 4 over those 2 for the same money every day and twice on Sundays. We’re gonna be good for a long long time, get ready.

holy f***ing shit.... :laugh: true and mind-blowing.

EDIT: the reality is we could make it work for these guys IF they want to be here. clearly gus and reino wanted to stay. we'll see about these guys. would love to keep them here.

each player's gotta make his choice - a few more M in career earnings vs the chance to play in a chill city and have a chance to be part of a dynasty.

Last edited:

tmorton

Aug 26, 2024
I don’t think so.

Looks like KW was closest. It is starting to look like Zito will be able to sign all 3....if he wants to. He'd have to get Ekblad and Bennett in around 7 as well to do it.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Looks like KW was closest. It is starting to look like Zito will be able to sign all 3....if he wants to. He'd have to get Ekblad and Bennett in around 7 as well to do it.

I think they'll come in cheaper than that. And with Bob's contract coming off the books in two years, and the cap going up, Zito will be able to go after a big fish in free agency or at the deadline at that time and really load up. Every other contender around the league will be scrambling paying their top guys 15M, and we'll be in great cap shape and building a stacked, stacked team.

tmorton

Aug 26, 2024
I think they'll come in cheaper than that. And with Bob's contract coming off the books in two years, and the cap going up, Zito will be able to go after a big fish in free agency or at the deadline at that time and really load up. Every other contender around the league will be scrambling paying their top guys 15M, and we'll be in great cap shape and building a stacked, stacked team.
Agree 100%. If we can get these guys in and not lose our decent RFAs, but July 2026 we'll have enough cap space to also sign a top tier puck moving D and Ekblad only needs to put up 2nd line minutes.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
IMG_9715.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: KW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad