Florida - Edmonton - Toronto cap-usage

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Here on HF, we often debate on which player is better and how much a player is worth. I`d rather compare the front-offices use of money. It usually dictate the future of a franchise. Can you ice a winning team if you overpay?

Floridas core:

Barkov 10M 2030
Tkachuk 9,5M 2030
Reinhart 8.65M 2032
Lundell 5M 2030
Forsling 5,75M 2032

Thats 38,9M for the core for the next 6-8yrs.

Toronto`s core:

Matthews 13.25M 2030
Nylander 11,5M 2032
Marner 10,9M 2025 - likely to sign 11,5M?
Rielly 7,5M 2030

Cant see Tavares beeing a part of the core anymore. Theese 4 will probably be the longterm core for 44M

Edmonton`s core:

McDavid 12.5M 2026 - will surely get a new contract minimum 15M
Draisaitl 8,5M 2025 - I expect Draisaitl to get a new contract wort 13-13.5M
Hyman 5,5M 2028
RNH 5.125M 2029
Nurse 9M 2030

Oilers have the 2 best players, but a boatanchor in Nurse. McDavids and Draisaitls new contract will also handcuff them some. I feel Hyman and RNH:s are very good. Theese 5 after McDrai`s extensions are 48.125M

Florida`s management has done a very good work, leaving money on the table for upgrading the rest of the team. Toronto is the overpay-master and probably why their playoff-drought is continuing. Oilers have done good with Hyman&RNH, but Darnell`s contract is super-bad. McDrai has to be paid or otherwise their window closes. I give Zito the goldmedal here and it looks like Panthers will be competative for a few years. Oilers probably too and even more so if they get rid of Nurse.

Toronto overpays. We know.

Reactions: leafsfan5

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Here on HF, we often debate on which player is better and how much a player is worth. I`d rather compare the front-offices use of money. It usually dictate the future of a franchise. Can you ice a winning team if you overpay?

Floridas core:

Barkov 10M 2030
Tkachuk 9,5M 2030
Reinhart 8.65M 2032
Lundell 5M 2030
Forsling 5,75M 2032

Toronto`s core:

Matthews 13.25M 2030
Nylander 11,5M 2032
Rielly 7,5M 2030

Cant see Tavares beeing a part of the core anymore. Theese 4 will probably be the longterm core for 44M

Edmonton`s core:

Hyman 5,5M 2028
RNH 5.125M 2029
Nurse 9M 2030

Oilers have the 2 best players, but a boatanchor in Nurse. McDavids and Draisaitls new contract will also handcuff them some. I feel Hyman and RNH:s are very good. Theese 5 after McDrai`s extensions are 48.125M

Florida`s management has done a very good work, leaving money on the table for upgrading the rest of the team. Toronto is the overpay-master and probably why their playoff-drought is continuing. Oilers have done good with Hyman&RNH, but Darnell`s contract is super-bad. McDrai has to be paid or otherwise their window closes. I give Zito the goldmedal here and it looks like Panthers will be competative for a few years. Oilers probably too and even more so if they get rid of Nurse.
Why exclude Bobrovsky and Bouchard? Rhetorical question… we already know the answer.

All of these GMs of the Year in no state income tax states…. total coincidence. I guess only those teams hire geniuses as GMs while every Canadian GM sucks the bag.

FO with this shit.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Floridas core:

Barkov 10M 2030
Tkachuk 9,5M 2030
Reinhart 8.65M 2032
Lundell 5M 2030
Forsling 5,75M 2032

Toronto`s core:

Matthews 13.25M 2030
Nylander 11,5M 2032
Rielly 7,5M 2030

Edmonton`s core:

Hyman 5,5M 2028
RNH 5.125M 2029
Nurse 9M 2030

Florida has $14.5M on the cap for goaletnding. The Oilers have $3.6M committed. As of right now the Oilers two best defensemen combine for a cap hit of under $10M. That will change with Bouchard's new deal of course but picking Nurse as the "core" on defense is a bit questionable while leaving off Ekblad.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
Why exclude Bobrovsky and Bouchard? Rhetorical question… we already know the answer.

All of these GMs of the Year in no state income tax states…. total coincidence. I guess only those teams hire geniuses as GMs while every Canadian GM sucks the bag.

FO with this shit.
Zito didnt give Bob that contract

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Replacing OEL and Theodore with Schmidt and leaving under a million in cap space suggests that the Panthers are not in the best position. Not terrible by any stretch, but the OP was painting a pretty biased picture.

Reactions: zar

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Floridas core:

Barkov 10M 2030
Tkachuk 9,5M 2030
Reinhart 8.65M 2032
Lundell 5M 2030
Forsling 5,75M 2032

Toronto`s core:

Matthews 13.25M 2030
Nylander 11,5M 2032
Rielly 7,5M 2030

Edmonton`s core:

Hyman 5,5M 2028
RNH 5.125M 2029
Nurse 9M 2030

Yes. /thread.

Reactions: danny90

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
McDavid will get whatever he wants, that said I think he's now been in the "I have more money than I could spend in my life" phase for long enough and has done his duty to the NHLPA by pushing salaries up to 12.5 with his first extension. He also makes several millions of dollars from endorsement deals that most players don't have. While it's not NBA level money, an extra $5-$6 million/year he makes from endorsments is a significant chunk of change.

He could take a discount on the next deal in order to win or at least back load his next deal in years 7/8 to make the cap hit lower.
But he’d have to stay in Edmonton so you’d have to add a few mil back

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Tax advantage. Irrelevant comparison.
While there is certainly some truth to the state tax thing, what gets lost in those conversations is that sales tax, real estate, and property taxes are much higher in Florida and Texas than most other states. While it doesnt offset the difference completely it makes the so called tax break much much less than most think it is.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If Toronto was tax free they'd have had enough cap space from the savings to bring back Hyman.

And that means no Oilers in the Final. Not saying Toronto would have made it, but Edmonton would have sure missed those 16 goals.

In any case, clearly this thread's main purpose was to point out how bad Toronto's core is and how overpaid they are. We get it and really didn't need another thread to rub it in.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Cap is going up ALOT in the next few years so these comparisons will be out of date pretty quick. People need to remember that the cap being flat the last 5 years is very irregular and has created a unique circumstance in league history. We are due for a large correction. The cap will be north of 100m in a very short time.

Cap will be going up a lot over the next few offseasons, but Florida's best player will still be making only $10 million per. Unless they get someone like McDavid to sign there, the Panthers are going to be in excellent shape come free agency time.

Reactions: HugginThePost

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Florida has $14.5M on the cap for goaletnding. The Oilers have $3.6M committed. As of right now the Oilers two best defensemen combine for a cap hit of under $10M. That will change with Bouchard's new deal of course but picking Nurse as the "core" on defense is a bit questionable while leaving off Ekblad.
Bob has 2yrs left and Ekblas 1. Thats 17,5M coming off the books. I was strictly talking about the future core - I see neither in such. The core in Florida is locked up at very good contracts and in 2026, Florida will have loads of cash to spend on other positions. The other 2 teams mentioned not so much.
Also, Bouchard and Draisaitl both need new contracts latest 2025. Thats atleast 21-22M. Oilers dont have the space to sign both unless they do something radical - That means Nurse dropping his NMC and going somewhere else with multiple firsts packed with him. Doubt Nurse waives though. In 2026 theres McDavid...

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

Floridas core:

Barkov 10M 2030
Tkachuk 9,5M 2030
Reinhart 8.65M 2032
Lundell 5M 2030
Forsling 5,75M 2032

Toronto`s core:

Matthews 13.25M 2030
Nylander 11,5M 2032
Rielly 7,5M 2030

Edmonton`s core:

Hyman 5,5M 2028
RNH 5.125M 2029
Nurse 9M 2030

Matthews gets most of his salary as a signing bonus. He is a legal resident of Arizona, so that bonus is not open to a state tax.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

FO with this shit.
If you’re Oilers paid all contracts as 1 million dollar deals with the rest as a signing bonus
AND
Players were smart enough to live in states with no income tax all teams would have the same advantage.

TheSecondSeason

Apr 20, 2024
The numbers don’t lie. This is why Panthers will be a SC threat way longer than Oilers, and Toronno never will be.
The Oilers have a young core that includes Broberg, Bouchard, Savoie and Holloway. They will resign McDavid and Drai. Skinner is getting better with each passing year. I hope to see the Oilers wax Florida at least once in the next 3 to 4 years so that this Panthers will be a threat longer than the Oilers statement doesn't hold true. Florida already lost key players this offseason. The current Florida team as of today wouldn't win a 7 game series with the Oilers anymore. Already on the decline.

• Haha
Reactions: KW

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
The Oilers have a young core that includes Broberg, Bouchard, Savoie and Holloway. They will resign McDavid and Drai. Skinner is getting better with each passing year. I hope to see the Oilers wax Florida at least once in the next 3 to 4 years so that this Panthers will be a threat longer than the Oilers statement doesn't hold true. Florida already lost key players this offseason. The current Florida team as of today wouldn't win a 7 game series with the Oilers anymore. Already on the decline.
Oilers will spend $45-50M on 4 players when their new contracts are done and will have no money for a real difference maker in goal. Yeah McD and Drai will continue to amass points, but when the moment of truth comes, Skinner (or equivalent) will let in a savable shot and Oilers will fall in the playoffs yet again. McD will become the best ever without a cup.

TheSecondSeason

Apr 20, 2024
Oilers will spend $45-50M on 4 players when their new contracts are done and will have no money for a real difference maker in goal. Yeah McD and Drai will continue to amass points, but when the moment of truth comes, Skinner (or equivalent) will let in a savable shot and Oilers will fall in the playoffs yet again. McD will become the best ever without a cup.
you could be right. However, you really think Bobrovsky will be around the save the Panthers for a couple of wins ? Or a 40 year old one

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Matthews gets most of his salary as a signing bonus. He is a legal resident of Arizona, so that bonus is not open to a state tax.
Yeah, Canada is a bit different with residency and signing bonuses than a lot of states in the US, where residency isn't simply a domicile issue. And most high payed players contracts are mostly signing bonuses.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Bob has 2yrs left and Ekblas 1. Thats 17,5M coming off the books. I was strictly talking about the future core - I see neither in such. The core in Florida is locked up at very good contracts and in 2026, Florida will have loads of cash to spend on other positions. The other 2 teams mentioned not so much.
Also, Bouchard and Draisaitl both need new contracts latest 2025. Thats atleast 21-22M. Oilers dont have the space to sign both unless they do something radical - That means Nurse dropping his NMC and going somewhere else with multiple firsts packed with him. Doubt Nurse waives though. In 2026 theres McDavid...
The bolded is simply false. The most radical thing they might have to do is move out Kane or not keep Skinner.

As of right now an expected 5% increase in the cap would take the ceiling to $92.4M. With revenues this year estimated to be at $6.2B+. At that level the midpoint of the cap range should probably be in the $87-89M range. As it is players this year will likely not only get their full escrow back but probably a little more, so I would not be surprised to see the cap for 2025-26 at at least $94M, especially since the Arizona to Utah move could easily add $1M to the player's share.

McDavid's new deal is not a huge issue if the cap rises as expected. I don't see McDavid looking at a big raise, maybe $2M.

Copenhagen91

Jan 28, 2016
While there is certainly some truth to the state tax thing, what gets lost in those conversations is that sales tax, real estate, and property taxes are much higher in Florida and Texas than most other states. While it doesnt offset the difference completely it makes the so called tax break much much less than most think it is.
Bringing up real estate, property taxes and sales tax in a thread comparing a no state tax team to 2 Canadian teams might not be the best idea…

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021

Floridas core:

Barkov 10M 2030
Tkachuk 9,5M 2030
Reinhart 8.65M 2032
Lundell 5M 2030
Forsling 5,75M 2032

Toronto`s core:

Matthews 13.25M 2030
Nylander 11,5M 2032
Rielly 7,5M 2030

Edmonton`s core:

Hyman 5,5M 2028
RNH 5.125M 2029
Nurse 9M 2030

Should include Bouchard who is still underpaid at 3.9M for another year, and was one of the biggest factors in their playoff success. So their top 2 D are at 13M total, and I'd say the two of them combined outperformed that # last year.

That said, this is the real 'cup or bust' season because no matter how you slice it, their depth will suffer significantly once Drai and Bouch (and Connor) get their raises.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad