Prospect Info: Florian Xhekaj

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kids a beast... even with the ref hanging off him he couldn't be contained. Not smart on his part though

if you watch the vid or maybe it was the last game but there was a play where he was battling along the boards at the offensive bluleline and with 1 hand on his stick he pushed the puck over to his teammate while holding off the defender with his other hand. I slowed it down as it was impressive how much strength he showed but had the presence of mind to set up his teammate.

He's easily one of the most impressive prospects i've seen this year.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
if you watch the vid or maybe it was the last game but there was a play where he was battling along the boards at the offensive bluleline and with 1 hand on his stick he pushed the puck over to his teammate while holding off the defender with his other hand. I slowed it down as it was impressive how much strength he showed but had the presence of mind to set up his teammate.

He's easily one of the most impressive prospects i've seen this year.
Love to read that - and from you! Who watches a lot of prospect games. Very good news.

What do you think his NHL ceiling could be?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Love to read that - and from you! Who watches a lot of prospect games. Very good news.

What do you think his NHL ceiling could be?

it's too early to say, last year in the one game I saw he looked terrible, now he looks like a bull on skates. He will need to work on some things but he's taken a huge leap in his development in a short time frame.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The only problem with Xhekah in the AHL next year is he will 100% get 4th line minutes, he won't have much of a chance to work on his offense

He could start on the 4th line. The key would be if he moves up the line-up.

Evans started as Laval's 4C when he turned pro. By the end of the season, he worked his way up to 1C.

Same with RHP. Started at the bottom and worked his way up as the season went on.

Davidson was a 4th liner/healthy scratch at the start. He is now in the Top-6.

Trudeau was a 3rd pair/healthy scratch at the start of last year. Was on their top pair by the end.

It doesn't matter where you start, it matters how you progress. Unless of course you're Mysak under JF Houle.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That abuse of official was a bullshit call. He was reaching over to hit the Steelhead and grazed the official. 2 games for the hit is reasonable although the Steelhead wasn't hurt.
Absolutely not.

Fully deserved suspension. Play tough not out of control. He'll learn, his brother is going through that and is seeing the benefits of controlled & focused aggression.

If he can harness that emotional energy, size, and competitiveness, and keep refining his puck & game sense skills, he could blow the roof off his expected ceiling

Reactions: Habs10Habs

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Bring the second X, baby! X on D, X up front, unleash them and have the other teams run!

I want to see Habs being bullies. Enough of that creamepuffness we've been witnessing for the past 30 years.

Absolutely not.

Fully deserved suspension. Play tough not out of control. He'll learn, his brother is going through that and is seeing the benefits of controlled & focused aggression.

If he can harness that emotional energy, size, and competitiveness, and keep refining his puck & game sense skills, he could blow the roof off his expected ceiling
That what I am afraid of. Once he enters MSL's realm he'll have the full "better people" program thrown at him and boom, he'll be just another good boi. I want Habs to be nasty. And feared.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
If there was a re-draft, would Xhekaj make the 1st round at this point in time? Or still nah, 2nd/3rd round?

John B

Nov 19, 2016
If there was a re-draft, would Xhekaj make the 1st round at this point in time? Or still nah, 2nd/3rd round?
It's hard to say. Like any draft there will be players who regress and others who blossom and others who seem to hit a wall in their D+1 year. Xhekaj was an early 4th rounder, so it wouldn't be crazy to think he would go somewhere in the 3rd round if there were a re-draft. There are other prospects who were drafted after Xhekaj that might also be considered to go higher then where they were chosen. Habs prospects Konyushov, Volokhin, and Eriksson are having strong seasons as well. Rodwin Dionicio is also having another good season in the OHL. I'm sure there are others as I don't get to see all these players or follow their progress.

Reactions: A Loyal Demidog

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It's hard to say. Like any draft there will be players who regress and others who blossom and others who seem to hit a wall in their D+1 year. Xhekaj was an early 4th rounder, so it wouldn't be crazy to think he would go somewhere in the 3rd round if there were a re-draft. There are other prospects who were drafted after Xhekaj that might also be considered to go higher then where they were chosen. Habs prospects Konyushov, Volokhin, and Eriksson are having strong seasons as well. Rodwin Dionicio is also having another good season in the OHL. I'm sure there are others as I don't get to see all these players or follow their progress.

There is absolutely no doubt that he would be at least a 2nd rounder in a re-draft as he is just too projectable as an NHLer at this point. His age is what likely keeps him out of the first round.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
There is absolutely no doubt that he would be at least a 2nd rounder in a re-draft as he is just too projectable as an NHLer at this point. His age is what likely keeps him out of the first round.
I'll take your word for it. Like I said, I don't follow all the prospects that closely. All I know is that there are a lot of Habs prospects from the last draft that looks like they would be chosen earlier in a re-draft. I'm sure there are other prospects from other teams as well.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
1st rounder no question.

Considering his age you have to seriously look at where his offensive production lines up. He could be a late first rounder but I would certainly hesitate to proclaim him to be a no doubter as a 1st rounder in a re-draft. We are still talking about a kid who is in his D+2 from an age perspective who is under a ppg and is 6th on his team with a 0.948 ppg avg. Now, I am the last one too put too much value into stats but there have to be questions as to why he isn't producing more given his enormous physical advantages. Given his sudden growth there may be an answer to be gleened from this but I do think that there are enough upside questions to push him into the second round. If he was in his D+1 I am totally on board with your statement and even though I acknowledge that he could very well sneak into the 1st round in a re-draft I think it is less evident than you have stated that it would be a certainty.

Reactions: Sagikev

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There is no way he's a 1st rounder in a re-draft. He was an overager when drafted. He would at best be a mid to late 2nd rounder.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Considering his age you have to seriously look at where his offensive production lines up. He could be a late first rounder but I would certainly hesitate to proclaim him to be a no doubter as a 1st rounder in a re-draft. We are still talking about a kid who is in his D+2 from an age perspective who is under a ppg and is 6th on his team with a 0.948 ppg avg. Now, I am the last one too put too much value into stats but there have to be questions as to why he isn't producing more given his enormous physical advantages. Given his sudden growth there may be an answer to be gleened from this but I do think that there are enough upside questions to push him into the second round. If he was in his D+1 I am totally on board with your statement and even though I acknowledge that he could very well sneak into the 1st round in a re-draft I think it is less evident than you have stated that it would be a certainty.

He's a no doubt 1st round pick, you have a 6'4 center that is showing he can handle the position from the get go in all facets while being a monster physically and plays a power game like Lucic. GM's always will overrate size to begin with so from what i've seen it's a slam dunk to be a 1st rounder, I can't believe what i've seen from him this year, I'm extremely impressed.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He's a no doubt 1st round pick, you have a 6'4 center that is showing he can handle the position from the get go in all facets while being a monster physically and plays a power game like Lucic. GM's always will overrate size to begin with so from what i've seen it's a slam dunk to be a 1st rounder, I can't believe what i've seen from him this year, I'm extremely impressed.

I am impressed as well but the kid turns 20 in July. I still think he is more likely to play low in the lineup if he makes it but he has shown a lot of progression this season.

I just went and looked at the draft and I have to conclude that he is very unlikely to be a 1st rounder in a redraft as there are very strong prospects all the way through the first round and plenty of 2nd and 3rd rounders who have substantially raised their stock. Calling him a slam dunk first rounder is more ideological than it is based on a comprehensive comparison of who the top 32 prospects are in last years draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad