Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
AFC37A0E-75AA-489F-80F3-862FBACD6702.jpeg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Two arrested in Fayette-nam for looting.

Reading the story, they looted a Family Dollar Store, took 5 cases of corona, 5 bags of chips and some dishwasher pods. Then, get this, an hour later one of the guys called 911 Because HIS home was broken into.

The police arrived to find the shirt he wore when breaking into the dollar store with broken glass still on it and the stolen merchandise and arrested them. Can’t make this up.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Reading the story, they looted a Family Dollar Store, took 5 cases of corona, 5 bags of chips and some dishwasher pods. Then, get this, an hour later one of the guys called 911 Because HIS home was broken into.

The police arrived to find the shirt he wore when breaking into the dollar store with broken glass still on it and the stolen merchandise and arrested them. Can’t make this up.
They're criminals for a reason....can't put my finger on it exactly....but there's a reason....

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
While I get that the hurricane is the focus here (for obvious reasons), it's still a little sad to see it being made into some massive devestating storm.

I mean, the Philippines are currently getting nailed by a Super Typhoon (the equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane) with 200 mph winds, and we've got reporters down here acting like they're going to be blown away in front of the camera (while bystanders walk by perfectly fine in the background).

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for those who did suffer some loss in Florence, but when Twitter/Facebook/the news is making a big deal out of power outages and downed trees, while an entire country is basically being evacuated, it grinds my gears.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Every time I go on a trip I drive past 1 or 2 toppled interstate signs that probably fell over in 20ish MPH winds. That poor one in the background didn't stand a chance.

And all that debris. Gonna need a snowplow or something to clean all that.

I work with a guy who was here in Charlotte during Hugo and he says the streets were just like that the day after.
Pretty much any tropical storm will do that streets, but usually it takes a pretty bad hurricane to cover the interstate like that.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
While I get that the hurricane is the focus here (for obvious reasons), it's still a little sad to see it being made into some massive devestating storm.

I mean, the Philippines are currently getting nailed by a Super Typhoon (the equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane) with 200 mph winds, and we've got reporters down here acting like they're going to be blown away in front of the camera (while bystanders walk by perfectly fine in the background).

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for those who did suffer some loss in Florence, but when Twitter/Facebook/the news is making a big deal out of power outages and downed trees, while an entire country is basically being evacuated, it grinds my gears.
GTFOH I don’t know what media or Facebook people you follow but where I live, New Bern, it’s just a tad bit more than power outages and downed trees. A significant chunk of the town and surrounding counties have been inundated with water from the storm surge and on top of that we’re getting 20+ inches of rain. Man I love when the media sensationalizes something as trivial as 20” of rain.
Where I live in New Bern yeah the power is out and trees have turned the roads into a maze but thankfully I haven’t had to be rescued by the Louisiana Cajun Navy and other volunteers/first responders like so many others in Eastern NC. If I run into a news crew I’ll be sure to ask them why they aren’t focused on the Philippines when we know everyone is going to forget about us in a week after the president tweets about some more dumb shit.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
GTFOH I don’t know what media or Facebook people you follow but where I live, New Bern, it’s just a tad bit more than power outages and downed trees. A significant chunk of the town and surrounding counties have been inundated with water from the storm surge and on top of that we’re getting 20+ inches of rain. Man I love when the media sensationalizes something as trivial as 20” of rain.
Where I live in New Bern yeah the power is out and trees have turned the roads into a maze but thankfully I haven’t had to be rescued by the Louisiana Cajun Navy and other volunteers/first responders like so many others in Eastern NC. If I run into a news crew I’ll be sure to ask them why they aren’t focused on the Philippines when we know everyone is going to forget about us in a week after the president tweets about some more dumb ****.
good to hear from you raynman. looks like New Bern got a ton of water, maybe even more than expected.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
good to hear from you raynman. looks like New Bern got a ton of water, maybe even more than expected.
Thanks, I think the cell networks have been totally jammed up with people trying to find out information and as such this is the first chance I’ve had to log into Facebook and check the news since Thursday.
I had to work, local pizza place, on Tuesday and Wednesday after the mandatory evacuation notice went out and I was blown away by how busy we were because people were staying and didn’t want to dip into their supplies. I don’t think people understood how the storm was going to push water up the Neuse River and they were totally surprised. There’s a large chunk of New Bern that in all reality probably can’t afford to evacuate, those are the people that are losing everything and having to be rescued. We’re lucky in that where we live in New Bern probably won’t flood unless it’s some sort of 1000 year event.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Thanks, I think the cell networks have been totally jammed up with people trying to find out information and as such this is the first chance I’ve had to log into Facebook and check the news since Thursday.
I had to work, local pizza place, on Tuesday and Wednesday after the mandatory evacuation notice went out and I was blown away by how busy we were because people were staying and didn’t want to dip into their supplies. I don’t think people understood how the storm was going to push water up the Neuse River and they were totally surprised. There’s a large chunk of New Bern that in all reality probably can’t afford to evacuate, those are the people that are losing everything and having to be rescued. We’re lucky in that where we live in New Bern probably won’t flood unless it’s some sort of 1000 year event.
it's interesting that you put it that way because I've seen several places refer to the amount of flooding and rain there to be in the 1000 year levels. but that's more Topsail and Onslow County area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad