Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Question? Is the GM Barclay Branch around the arena. I know his tenure in Sudbury he was pretty much non-existent. Just wondering what kind of relationship he has with the executives. His father being the Commish you have to wonder what is being reported back to him if all that the above poster is saying about the owner still interfering is true. I thought the league stepped in and set up some guidelines he needed to follow or has this made little impact to the owner. Should be interesting to see how this unfolds.

WJ

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
They seemed to do well tonstart the season then the bottom just fell out. Wonder if there is a reason for that? Can anyone verify when they started to tank and what is rumored to be happening behind the scenes? Do these corespond with each other. They should be taking steps forward. Not backward.
There's two theories getting the most attention. One is they were not happy Sherwood was traded. I can confirm some players were not but I find it hard to believe that is the sole reason. The other is the coach is buddy-buddy with upper mgmt and are once again involving themselves in things. Right about the time the slide started I heard Caamano's dad complaining and saying the coach needed to be fired. ? Who knows? It would be nice if there was like an ex-Captain veteran who's now with another team come forward and let it all out to try and help his ex-teammates. Something clearly happened to instantly take them from being a .500 team to this.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I'm sure the OHL doesn't want another lawsuit and another scandal on their hands right now but this isn't much better. It's just typical day in the life of Flint stuff. Get an OHL team, take one step forward but it turns out to be THEE insane owner of all time and take two steps back.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Question? Is the GM Barclay Branch around the arena. I know his tenure in Sudbury he was pretty much non-existent. Just wondering what kind of relationship he has with the executives. His father being the Commish you have to wonder what is being reported back to him if all that the above poster is saying about the owner still interfering is true. I thought the league stepped in and set up some guidelines he needed to follow or has this made little impact to the owner. Should be interesting to see how this unfolds.

WJ
He was early on but not much since the slide started. As you Sudbury guys warned, I don't think he's much for confrontation and addressing the issue head on. Not sure how much leverage the league has right now anyway.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
They need somebody as coach to step in and school all this whiney shit to a dead stop. Want to wear an OHL sweater, then start acting like you deserve it. Play some defense like Savard has suggested...skate hard! There are plenty of other kids out there who would love to take your place, maybe less talented, maybe the outcome would be no better, but try.

We can sit here all day and talk of managerial woes, but players have to play...and a coach needs to get that point across even if it means no offense and HARD defense.

Jezz, I'm up in Saginaw and don't want this franchise to fail

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The OHL could have a really good thing going here between the two clubs. Both have had lackluster results the last few years and attendance has still been good between the two. If they were both competing for a Top 4 seed (which will happen at some point if Flint's situation gets addressed) it would be one house's packed, loud, crazy, vial rivalry.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
image.jpg

Roberts looked good btw. 1a and even in a 9-1 loss. Flint outshot Kingston 46-30 but look at that diagram. Flint has more shots from behind the goal line than the front of the net. Kingston has so many goals from the crease they overlap each other and you can't even see them all. Sorry KNUCK22, I know I'm plagiarizing you there. I get crazy ownership. I get they're probably creating issues. The kids can only control what they can control and not playing is only hurting themselves right now. Trust me, I spent the entire 3rd talking to a couple NHL scouts. A decent coach would get it through their heads, go to bat for them with the league/GM and get them skating. What's happening isn't helping Ouhlahen's career either so taking Rolf, Costa and TC head on wouldn't be worse for him.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Other than Nilsen wanting his son to get playing time not sure I've heard much of what the Front Office is doing. The players are the ones out on the ice playing. This team isn't this bad so they may st be doing this purposely to get the coach fired or something. Doing this to piss off the owner doesn't make sense. Just hurting your own career. Best thing to do is make some moves now and play the young no guys because this team isn't winning even with the Vets here.
Also...if things don't change don't be surprised if Dellandrea goes the way of Will Bitten and asks for a trade...he's another I've heard that his family isn't pleased wth whatever is going n

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
View attachment 85085
Roberts looked good btw. 1a and even in a 9-1 loss. Flint outshot Kingston 46-30 but look at that diagram. Flint has more shots from behind the goal line than the front of the net. Kingston has so many goals from the crease they overlap each other and you can't even see them all. Sorry KNUCK22, I know I'm plagiarizing you there. I get crazy ownership. I get they're probably creating issues. The kids can only control what they can control and not playing is only hurting themselves right now. Trust me, I spent the entire 3rd talking to a couple NHL scouts. A decent coach would get it through their heads, go to bat for them with the league/GM and get them skating. What's happening isn't helping Ouhlahen's career either so taking Rolf, Costa and TC head on wouldn't be worse for him.

To win 9-1 getting outshot 46-30!? Kingston must of had an incredibly good trap-counter? I think that I will be looking and willing to pay for replay options.

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort
So I speak outside the "proper" narrative and my post gets removed..makes sense. The moderators contacted me last year about my inside knowledge and they agreed that yes I was a legit inside source. I don't just make this stuff up. I'm not sure why everyone is so sensitive to my post. You cannot point to any of my previous post and say that I was wrong.

I get it though, let's all live with rainbows and unicorns

WOW!

November 1st

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Can someone explain to me why HealthyScratch1 has had his post deleted off here?

Purely speculation on my part, but I can see where some content....even if true, could make the folks who run this website very nervous. Think about this, if you will: You have a somewhat unpredictable millionaire owner who just might be a tad sensitive about what gets reported about him, his team, and his relationship with the league. Those types have easy access to lawyers, and if they're inclined toward initiating lawsuits or litigation, it could spell PROBLEMS for this site, which I'm sure they can do without. It's probably the ounce of prevention becoming worth a pound of cure axiom being played out.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
The post I’m referring to stated nothing In particular. It was about why he wasn’t posting. And someone else has posted similar stuff to what HealthyScratch1 said and his post is not deleted. Nor has HealthyScratch1 been told why his post was removed. Moderators have verified who and what the individual has done so why remove it?

CJinGrandBlanc

Apr 7, 2016
The good hockey fans of Flint and Mid-Michigan are going to have the FINAL say in this fiasco and are already speaking......

1,779 announced attendance for yesterdays game. If you really believe that.

One of the worst attended games since the franchise has been in Flint.....The Firebirds can't use the excuse of having to compete with other sports activities yesterday......No High School Football games, No Detroit Lions game, No Detroit Red Wings game, No Detroit Pistons game, No Michigan Football game, No Michigan State Football game.

Poor Dominic Hennig is now being used as a "puppet" by management pleading with the fans to "stick with us".

Take a look at the Firebirds Facebook page for comments made by the fans to really get a feeling as to how the fans and this community really feels about the present state of this hockey club and OHL here in Flint.

The Firebirds and OHL have practically destroyed any hopes of Flint folks thinking of spending their entertainment dollars at the Dort by decimating this franchise. Their walk-up sales will be non-existent and their loyal and most important season ticket base are now either not showing up for games or leaving games early.

YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW!

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Well said CJinGrandBlanc! Unlike years past when I have attended several games, I do not have the desire I once had to attend.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Th person that i feel sorry for and maybe i am wrong because i dont know the kid or what he is like is Hakon Nielsen. To have a dad put you in this spot is terrible.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The good hockey fans of Flint and Mid-Michigan are going to have the FINAL say in this fiasco and are already speaking......

1,779 announced attendance for yesterdays game. If you really believe that.

One of the worst attended games since the franchise has been in Flint.....The Firebirds can't use the excuse of having to compete with other sports activities yesterday......No High School Football games, No Detroit Lions game, No Detroit Red Wings game, No Detroit Pistons game, No Michigan Football game, No Michigan State Football game.

Poor Dominic Hennig is now being used as a "puppet" by management pleading with the fans to "stick with us".

Take a look at the Firebirds Facebook page for comments made by the fans to really get a feeling as to how the fans and this community really feels about the present state of this hockey club and OHL here in Flint.

The Firebirds and OHL have practically destroyed any hopes of Flint folks thinking of spending their entertainment dollars at the Dort by decimating this franchise. Their walk-up sales will be non-existent and their loyal and most important season ticket base are now either not showing up for games or leaving games early.

YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW!
Yeah....but most of the people who post on FB and MLive that I've seen are idiots who didn't even understand hockey let alone the ebb and flow of an OHL franchise. Most fans are staying away because of the team's abysmal play. They don't have much idea about the behind the scenes drama or the fact that rebuilding in the OHL is often fairly short lived but harsh. This was a rebuild season from day 1 and was gonna be a struggle. Most of those people on FB have no grasp at all of rebuilding and the fact Moore, Sherwood and Caamano were gonna be gone regardless of the team's play. There's also 19 other OHL franchises where the play by play guy is a puppet of ownership. He's not gonna publicly rip the guy who signs his paycheck.

Reactions: OSA

CJinGrandBlanc

Apr 7, 2016
Yeah....but most of the people who post on FB and MLive that I've seen are idiots who didn't even understand hockey let alone the ebb and flow of an OHL franchise. Most fans are staying away because of the team's abysmal play. They don't have much idea about the behind the scenes drama or the fact that rebuilding in the OHL is often fairly short lived but harsh. This was a rebuild season from day 1 and was gonna be a struggle. Most of those people on FB have no grasp at all of rebuilding and the fact Moore, Sherwood and Caamano were gonna be gone regardless of the team's play. There's also 19 other OHL franchises where the play by play guy is a puppet of ownership. He's not gonna publicly rip the guy who signs his paycheck.

Savard, I agree with you that most of the people who post on FB and MLive (I won't call them idiots), let's say are less knowledgeable. But still they are still folks who ARE buying tickets to go watch the Firebirds. Social media is a powerful tool and the word gets out quickly. (Don't believe me, look how the President uses Twitter to get out his opinion, whether your for or against him) it works. If those people are dissatisfied and stop buying tickets they pass on their displeasure to others who may also hesitate to also buy tickets. The fact that the Firebirds are now abysmal just adds to the difficulty of getting ("fannies" in the seats) at the Dort.

My concern is the fact that there is no guarantee as to how long a rebuild is going to take (look at Saginaw) Finally it looks as if Saginaw isn't in a full rebuilding mode, showing some success this season. How long will it really take the Firebirds to rebuild? I see the Firebirds falling into the same situation as Saginaw has been in prior to this season. Drafts picks are nice to have but DO NOT guarantee success, it's kind of like "rolling the dice". Saginaw has had stable ownership and still has encounter hardship. Look at the Firebirds situation with the current ownership problems and the fact that for right now nobody really knows what is going to happen in regards to the future of hockey in Flint once Nilsen's suspension is lifted.

Your right, Moore, Sherwood and Caamano were going to be gone by the end of this season. But I saw, from the very first few games going way back in Buffalo that this team was sorely lacking someone in the leadership role (whether it be a vet or younger player). To this day, still no one has taken on the leadership role. Is this because of the coach, no one on the squad has leadership potential or do the players just don't care?

Fans from other OHL teams, help me out here......I know that there are a number of OHL teams who's broadcasters are not employed by the club itself. Some work for a media outlet and not directly with the club.

Do you think that with everything that has gone on with this ownership that it is proper for Hennig to specifically thank Nilsen and Papista at the end of each radio broadcast? I can't recall of any other broadcaster doing that, but then again I can't think of what's happen here in Flint going on elsewhere. If I have to listen to the radio I no longer listen to Hennig like I did in the first season. I tune into the opponents broadcast, many of them have a color man which adds to the broadcast.

And as to having a color man for Firebirds broadcasts, why isn't there one? My cousin did color in season one for a very short time for FREE before Nilsen fired Gruden the first time. That was enough for him when he realized what was going on.

Last edited:

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort
And as to having a color man for Firebirds broadcasts, why isn't there one? My cousin did color in season one for a very short time for FREE before Nilsen fired Gruden the first time. That was enough for him when he realized what was going on.

Shegos knew from the start and that's why he bailed, good for him. He was a great billet too according to Ned

Hennig is a good guy however, he's really drinking the trio Kool-aid. When the players walked out the first year he was 100% on ownership side. Unfortunately he's kinda a puppet when he doesn't have to be

Reactions: CJinGrandBlanc

CJinGrandBlanc

Apr 7, 2016
Shegos knew from the start and that's why he bailed, good for him. He was a great billet too according to Ned

Hennig is a good guy however, he's really drinking the trio Kool-aid. When the players walked out the first year he was 100% on ownership side. Unfortunately he's kinda a puppet when he doesn't have to be

Glad that you verified what I said HealthyScratch. To this day Ned and my cousin and his wife still communicate regularly with Ned. Ned was at our family celebration for Thanksgiving the year he was here.

The Firebirds also ran into some problems with Kyle Keyser's billet family after Ned left and my cousin and his wife billeted Keyser for the remainder of the season.

I have never met or spoken to Hennig, however I've talked to a range of numerous broadcasters from all levels all the way up to the NHL and they have all told me that Hennig is doing a disservice in furthering his broadcasting career with his actions of supporting this ownership. He is ruining his integrity for supporting Nilsen and Papista. I would love to talk to Hennig about this and ask him why he is really doing this. He needs to realize that if he ever wants to advance his career he needs to stop doing what he is doing.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Savard, I agree with you that most of the people who post on FB and MLive (I won't call them idiots), let's say are less knowledgeable. But still they are still folks who ARE buying tickets to go watch the Firebirds. Social media is a powerful tool and the word gets out quickly. (Don't believe me, look how the President uses Twitter to get out his opinion, whether your for or against him) it works. If those people are dissatisfied and stop buying tickets they pass on their displeasure to others who may also hesitate to also buy tickets. The fact that the Firebirds are now abysmal just adds to the difficulty of getting ("fannies" in the seats) at the Dort.

My concern is the fact that there is no guarantee as to how long a rebuild is going to take (look at Saginaw) Finally it looks as if Saginaw isn't in a full rebuilding mode, showing some success this season. How long will it really take the Firebirds to rebuild? I see the Firebirds falling into the same situation as Saginaw has been in prior to this season. Drafts picks are nice to have but DO NOT guarantee success, it's kind of like "rolling the dice". Saginaw has had stable ownership and still has encounter hardship. Look at the Firebirds situation with the current ownership problems and the fact that for right now nobody really knows what is going to happen in regards to the future of hockey in Flint once Nilsen's suspension is lifted.

Your right, Moore, Sherwood and Caamano were going to be gone by the end of this season. But I saw, from the very first few games going way back in Buffalo that this team was sorely lacking someone in the leadership role (whether it be a vet or younger player). To this day, still no one has taken on the leadership role. Is this because of the coach, no one on the squad has leadership potential or do the players just don't care?

Fans from other OHL teams, help me out here......I know that there are a number of OHL teams who's broadcasters are not employed by the club itself. Some work for a media outlet and not directly with the club.

Do you think that with everything that has gone on with this ownership that it is proper for Hennig to specifically thank Nilsen and Papista at the end of each radio broadcast? I can't recall of any other broadcaster doing that, but then again I can't think of what's happen here in Flint going on elsewhere. If I have to listen to the radio I no longer listen to Hennig like I did in the first season. I tune into the opponents broadcast, many of them have a color man which adds to the broadcast.

There are similarities between Flint & Saginaw in that off ice stuff made for some difficult recruiting and players wanting out; and, selling for picks only helps two seasons later, at best.
But, I (think) Flint will prove to be competitive much quicker because of the way those picks are being used. Saginaw swung for the fences, a lot. Wilde, Jenkins - worked out, two Pastujovs, nothing for Proner....whereas; Flint returned players and picks in trades, are much more willing to use picks for players now and trade those later for more picks; and most importantly, Flint has assembled an impressive group of 2000 & 2001 born and in prime position to surround those with the best player available in both OHL and import drafts. Flint is on track to be good soon, imo.

Reactions: OSA

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
CJinGrandBlanc, I think we all know the Shegos Family and you were close to Ned. You have indicated that. Who would have ever thought that some players do not want to play in Flint, and it has nothing to do with water, but instead ownership.

Reactions: CJinGrandBlanc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad