Flint Firebirds 2015-16 Season Thread ‎(part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
That's a pretty damn nice consolation on the season. 5-3 season record too, when Flint was supposed to finish last and Saginaw was supposed to be really moving up. At the end it was starting to feel like Saginaw-Flint again, with Cormier trying to get at a fan in the crowd and a whole bunch of chirping between fans post game. Moran was so happy he didn't even know what to do.

54 fighting

Oct 14, 2015
Michigan
It was like a huge weight lifted off the players shoulders tonight. First home win since November 25th, which was also against Saginaw. Nice to see the guys enjoy the victory tonight after the game!

Bellof

Sep 18, 2015
Grand Blanc, MI
And our Saginaw friends...Wait for it....pointing out the sparse crowd. Completely understandable since they draw such huge crowds at the Dow for weeknight games:sarcasm:

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
And our Saginaw friends...Wait for it....pointing out the sparse crowd. Completely understandable since they draw such huge crowds at the Dow for weeknight games:sarcasm:
You are playing Spirit with a chance to still over take them . One of the most important games and you only get that attendance.I know it was a mid week game, but come on .Any other team would have had a huge crowd.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Weeknight games always drew extremely poor crowds in Plymouth, so I'm not surprised it happens in Flint and Saginaw, too. USA Hockey has tried a couple of weeknight games in their first year here, too, and we've had the arena almost to ourselves for those games. Hopefully they learn for next season and avoid scheduling these unless absolutely necessary.

GFHL

Feb 25, 2015
FLINTown
I got a short video of Cormier F bombing the fan on my twitter if you want to check it out. @mdflinttown The fan was yelling "What's a matter Saginaw, you get pushed around a little bit and you cry like a baby." good stuff

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Way 2 Go Firebirds! Come from behind victory in OT at home to win the rivalry. That's great for the boys after all that has happened this year. I am glad they celebrated like they did. :yo: (no offense to Saginaw, purely a positive post to support the franchise who has gone through so much this year :) )

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Grown men throwing insults at kids. Stay classy.

Classy goes both ways, I guess....after the Firebirds win in Saginaw last month, I had some obviously classy Saginaw fan feel the need to scream, "AT LEAST WE DON'T DRINK LEAD!!!" over and over again at my family. Totally unprovoked, I would add. My 10 year old and his buddy were freaked out.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
OK...I just watched the video of the person screaming at the Spirit players, and yeah...that was stupid. A bit embarrassed and a bad reflection on all Firebirds fans.

I won't hold the Drinking Lead guy against you, if you promise not to hold this dummy against us, ok???

three dog night

May 3, 2014
The Flint fan sounded like a jerk and prob drank too many brown pops but you get these fans in all cities.

toledo109

Dec 15, 2015
Either way it goes, Flint has no room to talk. No wonder Saginaw players looking back at that heckler like that.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
OK...I just watched the video of the person screaming at the Spirit players, and yeah...that was stupid. A bit embarrassed and a bad reflection on all Firebirds fans.

I won't hold the Drinking Lead guy against you, if you promise not to hold this dummy against us, ok???

Sounds like a deal. Hope those jokers in Saginaw weren't in my section. Next time your up try to sit around section 15. Its good views and the ushers actually do their jobs pretty well.

As for last night. I just dont get why they made Saginaw stand out on the ice for the trophy presentation. They just lost in OT emotions are high, let them go to the locker room. No wonder stupid stuff like this happened.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Unlike our Flint team, Saginaw has fantastic ownership, good crowds, and good management as well. The Spirit have several NHL prospects and have been in the OHL well over a decade. As bad as Flint has been, I am really surprised we won the season series.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I'd prefer they didn't end the series on a weeknight again. Flint hadn't won at home in 3 months, the weather has sucked the last two days with schools cancelled everywhere and people are just not wanting to come give Nilsen $ as long as he owns the team. All of that affected attendance. Sucks too because it was Food Bank/Backpack night. The backpacks they auctioned off were slick, the Pro Shop should have ordered a few more without names and numbers to sell. As far as the fan goes, there's at least one at EVERY arena everywhere. I can't believe that was what set Cormier off. He was pissed and that doesn't seem that upsetting to me. I figured he was attacking his goaltending abilities. If they let Moran and Cormier share a net, they might be a pretty decent goalie together. I guess I'm on the fence about having both teams line up for the presentation. I was a bit worried there for a second Saginaw was gonna get to do the trophy presentation on Flint ice for the first time. As far a Saginaw goes, they've had 13 years to build a fanbase and are only averaging 200 more a game. Hopefully two more competitive teams will up the numbers in both cities soon. They've had 13 years to get past the second round too, so I wouldn't call that a shining example of management. I'll be pretty disappointed if that's the kind of success Flint has. The rivalry has been pretty tame so far, I'm glad to see it upped a bit even if some people went a bit far. It's not gonna get any nicer folks.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Classy goes both ways, I guess....after the Firebirds win in Saginaw last month, I had some obviously classy Saginaw fan feel the need to scream, "AT LEAST WE DON'T DRINK LEAD!!!" over and over again at my family. Totally unprovoked, I would add. My 10 year old and his buddy were freaked out.

What's funny is I see these types of responses n all kinds of message boards and they make it sound like the whole City of Flint has water issues when it's only part of it

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
.....They've had 13 years to get past the second round too, so I wouldn't call that a shining example of management. I'll be pretty disappointed if that's the kind of success Flint has......

Savard18, what I should have said is that they have had 13 years of stable ownership. We are struggling with ownership in our first year. There are no comments or rumors that Saginaw will not be back. Richard Garber and Craig Goslin run a very stable ship and are thought of highly in OHL circles. Having said that, it still surprises me that after 13 years, their on ice product isn't significantly better. As for attendance, I think they are doing fine with the kind of record they have had more recently even though they are smaller than Flint.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
.....They've had 13 years to get past the second round too, so I wouldn't call that a shining example of management. I'll be pretty disappointed if that's the kind of success Flint has......

Savard18, what I should have said is that they have had 13 years of stable ownership. We are struggling with ownership in our first year. There are no comments or rumors that Saginaw will not be back. Richard Garber and Craig Goslin run a very stable ship and are thought of highly in OHL circles. Having said that, it still surprises me that after 13 years, their on ice product isn't significantly better. As for attendance, I think they are doing fine with the kind of record they have had more recently even though they are smaller than Flint.

I had a conversation a couple games back with a guy and I'm a lot less concerned that Nilsen will still be owner of the team or that it will be moved next year.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I had a conversation a couple games back with a guy and I'm a lot less concerned that Nilsen will still be owner of the team or that it will be moved next year.

That would be outstanding news Savard18! Keeping our fingers crossed.

Bellof

Sep 18, 2015
Grand Blanc, MI
My point exactly. Flingin' rocks from the glass house. Or calling Flint a 'stink hole' and writing 9 out of 10 of their fans are 'trash.' Didn't take long, rivalry's alive and well. Hope the team's here next year for it to continue. Sincerely, One of the Nine:D

twinsdad

Dec 1, 2014
Grand Rapids
My point exactly. Flingin' rocks from the glass house. Or calling Flint a 'stink hole' and writing 9 out of 10 of their fans are 'trash.' Didn't take long, rivalry's alive and well. Hope the team's here next year for it to continue. Sincerely, One of the Nine:D
I would prefer the rivalry be fans vs fans, coaches vs coaches, and players vs players. Never fans vs players. That is when it gets ugly and should be called out. In Mississauga, after Sadowy punched a...I mean when a Steelhead player rammed his face into Sadowy's glove after scoring a shoot-out goal, a Mississauga fan came down to the Spirit bench to jaw at Dylan. It did not take long for the other Mississauga fans to tell him to "move along", and he was gone before the event staff got there make sure he did. I found that refreshing to see.

So, if you see bad examples, don't do the, "well, their fans are ugly, so it is okay if we be just as ugly". Take the high road and tell that fan that he or she makes all of us look bad. Don't let stuff like that go for 20 seconds.

And unfortunately, because of the ownership issues, this thread gets viewed by most everyone. So that 20 second rant on this thread will now be held against Flint's fans, which, has wide support. It is not fair, but you can read the posts above from people that have no attachment to the Firebirds or Spirit and decide if you think is a good thing to describe yourself as "one of the nine".

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
For the resilient citizens of the Flint Community and Flint Hockey Fans, I pray we are not witnessing the last several games of the Flint Firebirds!

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Looks like Flint players have finally mailed it in and quit with losing at home last night 2-7 and losing at home tonight 2-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad