GDT: flaming

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Went to sleep after the second. Canes looked amazing in the first two periods. We honestly could have scored 7 goals. Vladar was sensational and our finishing wasn't great. Biggest concern for me was not the occasional defensive lapses (honestly Calgary's were 5x worse), but the finishing. It's looking like we will need to generate 2x more scoring chances than opponents to eek out more goals, but maybe it's temporary. A little Debbie downer of me considering we are winning on a tough road trip. Overall we had a really great 1st and 2nd.

I also think Slavin seems off.
We're definitely struggling a bit in that department as usual, hovering around our average of about 9% (25th in the league)

Reactions: Daeavorn

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I know statistically, it's been proven that winning/losing faceoffs doesn't make a major difference when it comes to wins and losses over the course of a season.

That being said, I love that a clean KK win led to Necas' 100th and I love that Drury absolutely HATED that he lost the faceoff leading to the Bean goal

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I know statistically, it's been proven that winning/losing faceoffs doesn't make a major difference when it comes to wins and losses over the course of a season.

That being said, I love that a clean KK win led to Necas' 100th and I love that Drury absolutely HATED that he lost the faceoff leading to the Bean goal

I wonder if the "proven" would look different if you got rid of all the faceoffs between the blue lines.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

I know a certain head coach that would fight you to the death over this argument.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
This team is certainly pleasing to the eye versus previous years & their team speed is a big part of it.

Sure, the team could deliver more capable finishing, the top line to get more untracked and the 4th line to up their play but......winning 3 of four on this road trip so far (plus, deserved a win in St. L too) is pretty darn good.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I wonder if the "proven" would look different if you got rid of all the faceoffs between the blue lines.

Possibly, but the whole argument is that winning faceoffs should lead to more possession time, which should, in turn, lead to more goals and more wins. So removing the faceoffs from a certain portion of the ice shouldn't make a difference.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Possibly, but the whole argument is that winning faceoffs should lead to more possession time, which should, in turn, lead to more goals and more wins. So removing the faceoffs from a certain portion of the ice shouldn't make a difference.

Yeah, but I think that hypothesis is flawed as more possession time in the neutral zone probably doesn't corelate to more scoring with a dump and chase team like we have, and with a team as good as defending the blue line as we are. Now, if we have possession on the faceoff in the offensive zone or the defensive zone, I think that would change the calculus.

Reactions: geehaad

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, but I think that hypothesis is flawed as more possession time in the neutral zone probably doesn't corelate to more scoring with a dump and chase team like we have, and with a team as good as defending the blue line as we are. Now, if we have possession on the faceoff in the offensive zone or the defensive zone, I think that would change the calculus.

I also think part of the argument is that, since the majority of shifts are on the fly (and not directly after a faceoff), faceoff wins/losses don't affect possession as much as initially believed. And then there's the fact that the difference between a "good" faceoff guy and a "bad" faceoff guy is only about 8%, or around 20 faceoff wins a season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad