Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Jake Bean (2 years, $1.75m)

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I would rather the Flames had taken a chance on someone such as Erik Brannstrom who was a UFA and ended up signing a 1 yr $900,000 contract with Colorado. I gotta think Brannstrom has more upside than Bean. Its a bit of a mystery to me. I don't know... maybe Conroy signed Bean as a favor to Jake's dad.

No guarantee Brannstrom wanted to sign here though.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
No guarantee Brannstrom wanted to sign here though.
Say they offered Brannstrom what they're paying Bean.... 2 yrs x $1.75m. Hard to believe he would take $900,000 from Colorado over $3.5m from Calgary. I would also think Calgary would be able to offer more playing minutes than Colorado would. Our defense is looking pretty bad right now with Hanifin, Tanev, and Zadorov gone. And possibly Kylington too.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I would rather the Flames had taken a chance on someone such as Erik Brannstrom who was a UFA and ended up signing a 1 yr $900,000 contract with Colorado. I gotta think Brannstrom has more upside than Bean. Its a bit of a mystery to me. I don't know... maybe Conroy signed Bean as a favor to Jake's dad.
They need someone who has shown they can play actually play in the NHL even if it is poorly. He is the perfect kind of guy to have on a rebuilding blue line. Brannstrom might have wanted to go to the better team as well.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
In a top four 4 role, Bean is pretty terrible. Same for Bahl. Will be good for the tank

Random twitter graph for no reason
GRapJHwb0AAUP2e

2 years ago:
E7BM7W6WUA4C0Y7

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
They need someone who has shown they can play actually play in the NHL even if it is poorly. He is the perfect kind of guy to have on a rebuilding blue line. Brannstrom might have wanted to go to the better team as well.
I just don't buy that argument. Veteran 3rd pairing dmen are plentiful in the NHL and they would cost less than the $1.75m x 2 yrs we signed Bean for. If we need a nhl dman there are better choices out there than Bean. We had a number of them in our lineup last season. Buffalo just signed 27 yr old Dennis Gilbert for $825,000 on a 1 yr contract. I really don't see the point in having Bean on our roster. I mean.from all reports.. krickey... the guy has a dismal compete/consistency level and is just bad defensively. Just not a good example for our younger players.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He wanted to be here and to play for the Flames. That seems to be a rarer and rarer commodity these days so happy to have him.

Brannstrom and Boqvist aren't really any good either. Small, soft, and slow puck movers that can't move the puck isn't what we should be looking for. He's also not really a prospect anymore so if he sucks he just sits in the press box.

The team is not trying to contend, this signing just fills out the roster and if one of our blueline prospects can overtake him then that's great.

Reactions: Volica and User1996

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
He wanted to be here and to play for the Flames. That seems to be a rarer and rarer commodity these days so happy to have him.

Brannstrom and Boqvist aren't really any good either. Small, soft, and slow puck movers that can't move the puck isn't what we should be looking for. He's also not really a prospect anymore so if he sucks he just sits in the press box.

The team is not trying to contend, this signing just fills out the roster and if one of our blueline prospects can overtake him then that's great.
Yup. If you're not going to have a good roster, at least have a roster fans will cheer for.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Calgary needs to get an idiot on the roster so we can see if someone can keep people engaged like Big Ern’s undefeated heavyweight year in a rebuild year.

Ask Tre how much he'll offer for us to take Reaves? Get the guy to teach our boys to rub knuckles?

Lomberg per chance?

Lomberg and Reaves fighting side by side might be kinda funny to see

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Literally the combo I was looking at too. But isn't Robertson redundant with Pelletier in the system?
I think Robertson is different than Pelts, since Pelts has more jam and is better away from the puck

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad