Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Jake Bean (2 years, $1.75m)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This is the one I don't really see the fit for. I liked him in junior, but that was 7 years ago now. We have plenty of 6-8 type defensemen. We have plenty of young guys coming. Would have liked Lafferty at that deal he went to Buffalo on. Mantha was a good signing, Lomberg is fine as a depth/culture guy. The goalie I think has upside. Not seeing it with Jake.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Former 1st Round pick (2016 13th OA). Somebody saw something in the kid at one time.

New team, new coaches. He'll come along. Also has more career takeaways (66) than giveaways (59) which is always a good sign.

I'm ok with this signing.

Reactions: IharRB and Fig

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I really haven't paid much attention to Jake Bean's career so I thought I would check out the scouting report on Capfriendly.
Pretty meh. Not quite sure why Conroy grabbed this guy as a free agent.

Screenshot-20240703-012811-kindl.JPG

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Under 2 mil cap hit, young enough that he can develop more still (while we've been lucky with guys like Kylington, Rasmus, and Hanifin, it's not uncommon for defenseman to start finding their game in the late 20's), but also cheap enough that we have to pressbox him because he gets outplayed, it's not a huge deal.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I really haven't paid much attention to Jake Bean's career so I thought I would check out the scouting report on Capfriendly.
Pretty meh. Not quite sure why Conroy grabbed this guy as a free agent
Someone has to be here to help the team hit the cap floor.

With managed expectations, (third pair PP / offense guy) he'll be tolerable until the team's approaching competitiveness again.

If lucky, he has a slower development curve and turns out to be the player who was drafted.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Pretty meh. Not quite sure why Conroy grabbed this guy as a free agent.

Calgary guy.
Was pretty highly touted only a couple years ago.

1.75M over two years is not only manageable, but a contract you can bury more than 50% of in the AHL if need be.

It's also impossible to gauge players coming out of Columbus. There's something in the water there.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Someone has to be here to help the team hit the cap floor.

With managed expectations, (third pair PP / offense guy) he'll be tolerable until the team's approaching competitiveness again.

If lucky, he has a slower development curve and turns out to be the player who was drafted.
I would rather the Flames had taken a chance on someone such as Erik Brannstrom who was a UFA and ended up signing a 1 yr $900,000 contract with Colorado. I gotta think Brannstrom has more upside than Bean. Its a bit of a mystery to me. I don't know... maybe Conroy signed Bean as a favor to Jake's dad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad