Flames part ways with Marc Savard

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
With guys like Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander lol
Weren’t the Leafs without a fully healthy Nylander and Matthews this playoffs though? They didn’t get bounced early again because of their pp.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't follow coaches. But if he comes to Toronto as rumoured.... I don't want his PP coaching abilities lol. Calgary regressed further on the PP this year to 23rd.

Given Toronto has issues on the PP in the latter part of seasons and in the playoffs, I don't think this would be a wise move.

Now, if Marner or JT don't waive their NMC, it will probably be the same as this year lol.

Toronto shouldn't have that issue at all for their PP. When Savard was PP coach for STL in 19-20, I think their PP was one of the league's top PP.

I think some of the comments of other Flames fans who saw more than I, was that the set up for Savard's PP was brutal, but once it was set up, it was passable.

However, some of us were wondering if this was a personnel issue as well. Flames had some serious problems with carrying the puck into the zone and had serious problems with skillset to score on the PP until Kuzmenko. I think there was also a complaint that Andersson and Hanifin got prime PP minutes when Weegar was on fire, but I think that was the sole personnel complaint about the PP I ever saw. I guess that partially meant that lack of options our PP was highly predictable which made it easier to defend.

Flames going from 22.9%/10th in 2022 (JG, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangiapane 6+ goals) to 19.4%/19th in 2023 (Toffoli, Lindholm, Kadri 6+ goals ) to 17.9%/26th in 2024 (Kuzmenko, Sharangovich, Kadri 6+ goals)... I think the fact the names change so much is a reason why personnel and not pure coaching has been questioned for our PP.

In that same period, Flames went from regular season standings of 6th in 2022, to 16th in 2023, to 24th in 2024. The PP rankings/effectiveness seemed to follow hand in hand with the entire body of work for the entire roster with or without Savard as PP coach.

Reactions: LeafsFan89

Captain34

Sep 18, 2019
Weren’t the Leafs without a fully healthy Nylander and Matthews this playoffs though? They didn’t get bounced early again because of their pp.

26th ranked PP after March, where these guys were healthy. The issue, at least from my observation, is that there were very few adjustments...I think Guy Boucher, who ran our Power Play, was just out of ideas.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
He got too much of the blame for Calgary's lack of talent on the PP. Interested to see what he does with the Leafs if he ends up there.

Reactions: Fig

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Jeff Marek said today that as of last night he had not heard that Savard was going to Toronto so we shall see.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
He got too much of the blame for Calgary's lack of talent on the PP. Interested to see what he does with the Leafs if he ends up there.
There was two months that we scored at a higher rate even strength than on the pp.

Good riddance

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
True, but he went from OHL HC to NHL AC x2 very rapidly. I think it's safe to assume he wouldn't risk stability for a non nhl gig.

I will say it's nice to see him have such a rapid rise in the coaching ranks after the way his playing career ended.

Reactions: Fig

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

What are you talking about? It went 1/23 or about 4.6% That Is exactly Why they got bounced Eerly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad