GDT: Flames @ Lightning, 5:00 MT

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I expect a loss tomorrow night. Hopefully this road trip will be the impetus for Treliving to acquire some more scoring talent.... soon. Don't wait until the TDL when everyone will be looking for the same thing.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hedman/McDonagh pairings completely shut the top line down. Had nothing going the entire game. Vladar was good, Vasilevskiy was the monster in the 3rd he often is. Did not establish the forecheck at all this game and the slot coverage was awful. Kucherov for my money has a real claim to be the best player in the NHL.

Good : Vladar did his best. I'll put Dube here as well, least he had some chances and scored a goal.

Not good : Gaudreau & Tkachuk weren't first to many pucks and put a lot of passes into skates. Andersson and Kylington weren't too bad but a couple missed assignments cost em. Zadorov I quite liked this game for the most part. Mangiapane tries g'dbless him but decision making was too slow. Not the worst Monahan game but chasing a lot. Coleman with some hustle and not much else. Tanev struggled with the Lightning's speed.

Bad : Lindholm was awful really. Backlund as well, didn't even come within 10 feet of their net. Completely outclassed down the middle in this game. Gudbranson gets some points for beating up Maroon but completed maybe 2 passes the whole game. Lucic non factor.

Brutal : Shockingly Ritchie, Lewis, Richardson are barely NHL players. Who could have foreseen this.

Starting to look like the Flames we know and love. The give up after the 2nd goal was hard to watch. For some reason only started skating after it was 4-0.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Kind of sad we didn't get Sutter for that 2019-2020 season, could've theoretically been the Flames best chances at a cup. Actual depth with Lucic/Bennett/Dube being actual effective 3rd liners (could've even recognized demoting Monahan was the move sooner), and could have gone to down with a defensive group of--Giordano, Brodie, Hanifin, Anderssong, Kylington, Gustafsson, Valimaki, etc. Plus, Rieder and Ryan on the 4th line. Now the Flames have been progressively becoming even more top heavy and losing their opportunities to make a real competitive roster.

As for the actual game--Tampa just skated circles around them. They have one of the best top groups in the league still and the way they've instituted youth into a 4th line, + the "School Bus" line is also different from the hodge podge of... guys the Flames have purued. Just outclassed at every level of the lineup, and Sutter's comments are entirely justified

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I know Tampa's the best team in the NHL but this team really is getting outclassed a lot of games. First time I've felt this way in a while but they should begin a rebuild after this season.

Reactions: Boomstick

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Sutter can’t say that and than not try any prospects. Like what happened to ruzicka? Gawdin? Why don’t we actually try Monahan on the wing?

There are so many things we could try that would theoretically make us improve. What do we have to lose?

Reactions: Boomstick

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sutter can’t say that and than not try any prospects. Like what happened to ruzicka? Gawdin? Why don’t we actually try Monahan on the wing?

There are so many things we could try that would theoretically make us improve. What do we have to lose?

Veteranism is safe safe safe! This is the guy that played Gio-Tanev into the ground last year when one had broken ribs and the other was expected to be selected in teh expansion draft even when our playoff hopes looked done. Also gave Ritchie a role in the top 6 for waaaaaaay too f***ing long.

This organization is stuck in the mid-2000s.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

It’s Sutter’s way of saying Let’s go Treliving

as far as prospects, there are really not that many that are ready to help him win. Ruzicka is the best, he is already here doing not much

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
It’s Sutter’s way of saying Let’s go Treliving
I actually agree. Says to me, the organization has no idea what's going to happen with Johnny. Sutter wants to go all in and Tre wants to play it safe so that he has the currency to move contracts in the offseason, if Johnny decides to stay.

Reactions: DFF

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
Kind of frustrating last 2 games but the Pants and Bolts are both terrific. I hope this next game against the Canes will be a good one.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I know Tampa's the best team in the NHL but this team really is getting outclassed a lot of games. First time I've felt this way in a while but they should begin a rebuild after this season.

I want the Flames to make the playoffs and have a deep run. I think they should sell everything not nailed down, fire the GM, and reset.

Might have made a go of it with Eichel. The second that didn't happen AND he went to the division's best team.. well there's just not enough here. I really like Lindholm, but the uncomfortable fact is he's just a different shade of peak Monahan. Good, but not quite good enough to keep up with the top centers in this league.

Vegas, Colorado, Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Toronto are all in a different tier from us. Teams like Pittsburgh, St Louis, Washington, even Minnesota are probably better as well.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Why is Treliving still here
The Flames have an opportunity to go all in on a year with a team facing contract crossroads, and their decision was to stay with the most definitive milquetoast, "stay the course" GM's out there that has never been abe to build a competent lineup from top to bottom regardless of assets. Really baffling.

Reactions: Mobiandi and Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I really like Lindholm, but the uncomfortable fact is he's just a different shade of peak Monahan. Good, but not quite good enough to keep up with the top centers in this league.

I was thinking the same thing watching the last couple games. Lindholm is better than Monahan was because he's good defensively. However, he's still ultimately a passenger on a line with two elite wingers and it shows when we have to play elite teams.

The last two games felt eerily similar to the Avalanche dismantling us in 2019.

I want the Flames to make the playoffs and have a deep run. I think they should sell everything not nailed down, fire the GM, and reset.

Also agreed. This is the best possible time to load up and go for it IMO (use our late 20s 2022 1st and 2nds). If they go deep you can maybe look at running it back and tinkering. If they lose early, you sell in time for the 2023 draft which looks outstanding.

I mean honestly, if Gaudreau leaves this team is screwed anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mobiandi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad