Proposal: Flames - Kraken

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Well if you are taking Zadorov to keep an let expire as a UFA then you don't retain 50%. If you are taking him as a cap dump and retaining you should be getting something along with him. And the 4th isn't much but it seems like just throwing a pick away. The pick should be on Calgary side for the retention.

I don't think the numbers work if you don't retain.

I personally wouldn't mind giving up a late 4th rounder if I could get a first rounder in exchange.
Especially for a guy that most likely won't be back anyways.

It is illegal for Gio to be traded to Calgary with retention this season.

Wasn't sure about that.
Thanks for the info.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
With the comments of Giordano's agent talking about him going back to Calgary maybe there's something to it.

So how about:

to Calgary:
Giordano(50% retained)
4th round pick(via Flames)

to Seattle:
Zadorov
1st round pick(Flames)

Thoughts?
Not a chance. If the Flames wanted to trade their 1st pick they would have done before the draft.

We'll send you Zadorov, one for one.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
And losses to Tampa, Florida, Vegas, Boston, and Carolina twice. It's concerning, but if you use that logic, you have to use it both ways
All that tells you is calagry isn't well suited against most of eastern conference teams. One would have to agree teams like wash pitt Florida tampa Carolina would have their way with the flames in a 7 game series ..right???

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
All that tells you is calagry isn't well suited against most of eastern conference teams. One would have to agree teams like wash pitt Florida tampa Carolina would have their way with the flames in a 7 game series ..right???

Flames would certainly be underdogs currently. I'd love to get to that point to get obliterated though

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Calgary should in no way trade their 1st for any player who doesn't fit their cores age and isn't under contract control for a multiple seasons.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Because its cap circumvention to trade for the player selected in expansion from your team with retention for 1 season
I don't know much about the site but it has tweets from Pierre McGuire which mention that the team CAN reacquire players lost in the expansion draft.

NHL clarifies teams can trade for players lost in the expansion draft

Basically, if a team moved a player to a different team (non the expansion team) before the expansion draft you cannot acquire them back right away. But they should be able to reacquire a player they lost in the expansion draft. Unless there is some context I am missing here.

Ledge And Dairy

I don't know much about the site but it has tweets from Pierre McGuire which mention that the team CAN reacquire players lost in the expansion draft.

NHL clarifies teams can trade for players lost in the expansion draft

Basically, if a team moved a player to a different team (non the expansion team) before the expansion draft you cannot acquire them back right away. But they should be able to reacquire a player they lost in the expansion draft. Unless there is some context I am missing here.
You can reacquire them but not with retention. Washington reacquired their goalie

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You can reacquire them but not with retention. Washington reacquired their goalie

Do you have a link to that? I can see that making sense if you tried to do it right after the ED but this will be over halfway through the season at the deadline. Would think that the rule, if there is one, would be before the 1st of the year or something like that. It's not cap circumventing if you have the guy play half the year with the other team.

Ledge And Dairy

Do you have a link to that? I can see that making sense if you tried to do it right after the ED but this will be over halfway through the season at the deadline. Would think that the rule, if there is one, would be before the 1st of the year or something like that. It's not cap circumventing if you have the guy play half the year with the other team.
My understanding is it is cap circumvention to acquire the player selected in expansion and have them retained on for 1 full season. Obviously Calgary didn't pay Seattle to select Gio but I am fairly sure the league would step in and veto a trade like this. I can't find any links right now but there were reports about this back around the time of expansion. There very well could have been a calendar year rule though for it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad