GDT: Flames @ Islanders (5pm on Sportsnet)

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Connor McDavid with 75 PIM drawn since the start of last season, but most of those are bullshit calls anyways considering the league has its something wrapped around the Oilers' something else

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
You're right in that he will probably spend the year in Stockton but I think he's more than ready. We haven't had a D prospect as good as Valimaki since Phaneuf, full stop
Probably but keep in mind, Phaneuf spent two years in juniors after being drafted. Granted, the second one was because of the full season lockout but still, it makes very little sense to rush defenceman. And given Treliving's record in this particular area (Kulak was ready for a while before finally getting a spot, Andersson's ready now but no spots, etc.) there's pretty much no chance they pencil Valimaki in.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Unpopular opinion but I’d deal Stone this summer and I’d play Andersson with Gio next year (same kind of Mete/Weber, Chara/Mcavoy mentorship deal). Then Brodie/Hamilton and Kulak/Hamonic. Third pairing becomes much less of a liability and you can spread icetime out more evenly

The issue would be all 3 of those pairs would be awful against top lines and struggle against decent 2nd lines.

I don't think you can ask Gio and Hamonic to carry around those partners against top talent. They are way too big liabilities defensively.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Probably but keep in mind, Phaneuf spent two years in juniors after being drafted. Granted, the second one was because of the full season lockout but still, it makes very little sense to rush defenceman. And given Treliving's record in this particular area (Kulak was ready for a while before finally getting a spot, Andersson's ready now but no spots, etc.) there's pretty much no chance they pencil Valimaki in.

Oh sure, I don't have any doubt that's how Treliving's going to choose to develop Valimaki, but I do also think that he's going to be ready next October whether he makes the lineup or not.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
The issue would be all 3 of those pairs would be awful against top lines and struggle against decent 2nd lines.

I don't think you can ask Gio and Hamonic to carry around those partners against top talent. They are way too big liabilities defensively.

Kulak is already better than Hamonic but I do think he should spend another year on the bottom pairing.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You're right in that he will probably spend the year in Stockton but I think he's more than ready. We haven't had a D prospect as good as Valimaki since Phaneuf, full stop

I could be wrong, but knowing Calc I don’t think he’s against it. Just doesn’t think the Flames would ever do it. I still think he’s going to force their hand next season and Andersson is ready, now.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

I just wouldn’t be comfortable with Brodie/Hamilton against top lines, I think both other pairs could manage if the right forwards are out

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Kulak is already better than Hamonic but I do think he should spend another year on the bottom pairing.

What????

Kulak has looked bad as a 3rd pairing guy getting sheltered minutes against weak opposition.

Hamonic is much, much better.

We should be looking at getting Kulak out of our line-up not moving him up. He is a big liability.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
What????

Kulak has looked bad as a 3rd pairing guy getting sheltered minutes against weak opposition.

Hamonic is much, much better.

We should be looking at getting Kulak out of our line-up not moving him up. He is a big liability.

Kulak has been perfectly capable as a #6. I expected more from him this year but he is not having a bad rookie season.

Reactions: Dack

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Oh, for f***'s sake. You're not really gonna dump this one too, are you?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Kulak has been perfectly capable as a #6. I expected more from him this year but he is not having a bad rookie season.

So you think Kulak as "fine as a number 6" is better than Hamonic?

That's insane

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Pull Smith

Also, another failed powerplay followed by a goal against shortly thereafter. Same old story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad