Flames Arena, the Saga Continues

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I really hope I'm wrong but Calgary seems too conservative to pick/use an external design like the Abu Dabi, Barcelona, or even the Little Ceasars one. I have a sneaky suspicion that it will be pretty plain and bland looking.
conservative doesn't have to be bad, I'd take a design like Nationwide Arena every day of the week

1721489313647.png

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
I've heard that they want to have the design similar in concept to other recent projects like the Library/BMO expansion/Studio Bell, which would point to not being overly conservative as I'd say those are all rather striking and unique architecturally and I'm personally a fan of all three. We'll see on Monday anyways.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
I've heard that they want to have the design similar in concept to other recent projects like the Library/BMO expansion/Studio Bell, which would point to not being overly conservative as I'd say those are all rather striking and unique architecturally and I'm personally a fan of all three. We'll see on Monday anyways.
That doesn't speak well to things like legroom if that's true. I'm well within average proportions and I *DESPISE* the absurdly tight seating in the library's auditorium.

Both the music centre and the library feel very magazine bait-y to me, they work better as subjects for beauty shots than as functional buildings. The library is trying to be too many often contradictory things at once and the music centre's "museum" is just boring and full of dead empty space. I do like what they've done with the BMO Centre though so fingers crossed they're taking cues from their more recent work.

JPeeper

Jan 4, 2015
Sportsnet Stream is way better.

They just revealed the outdoor rendering of it, looks pretty cool so far.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
An outdoor bar is pretty sweet.
Food hall :thumbu:

Better than the first renderings we saw IMO
Looks like the lower bowl is bigger and steeper than the Dome's was.

I ain't calling it Scotia Place tho, gonna go with the Firepit

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig and DirtDiver

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Are there only two companies left in the entire country big enough to afford arena sponsorships now?

Anticipate it being significantly scaled back when it comes time to actually build it. Detroit's LCA was supposed to have an insane exterior LED setup too and none of that was built.
Wish RBC or TD had forked over the money just for something different.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Looks great, happy with this rendering big time. This is going to be one of the nicest arenas in the NHL

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
“CSEC wanted an intimate space, so the seating concept is a bit steeper and stacked on top of each other than, say, Rogers Place, which HOK also designed.”

I hope this is much better execution than HOK with Rogers. As someone who has been to a handful of games there, they are pretty much unwatchable unless you have lower bowl seats. If you’re unfortunate enough to have the person in front of you lean even an inch forward there, you’re staring at the back of their head more than you are watching the game. Seriously, those fans of the Oilers who brag about that building must never have left the concourse/lower bowl.

Though I guess “steeper and more stacked” should improve that viewing angle more.

Reactions: Fig

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Are there only two companies left in the entire country big enough to afford arena sponsorships now?
There is likely a clause in the naming rights of the Saddledome that when the Flames move to a new arena the deal transfers to the new arena. With both the Pengrowth and initial Scotiabank deal being 10-years each, it wouldn't be remotely shocking if the Scotiabank deal was renewed for another 10 years (the original would have expired in 2020)

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Meh. Looks pretty sterile and boring to me.

Last edited:

Fig

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
The top looks like Duke Nukems haircut.

Expecting Duke Nukem's haircut. May end up with Guile's sonic boom instead.

giphy.webp

Interesting to see that there are some legitimate jerseys in one of those pics. I was expecting some AI gibberish, but you can distinctly see names like Iggy, Kadri, Rango, Coleman, Kipper, Weegar, blasty patches... Btw, who the heck is 88 "Schooley"? And is that Vin Diesel on the upper floor? :laugh:

JPeeper

Jan 4, 2015
“CSEC wanted an intimate space, so the seating concept is a bit steeper and stacked on top of each other than, say, Rogers Place, which HOK also designed.”

I hope this is much better execution than HOK with Rogers. As someone who has been to a handful of games there, they are pretty much unwatchable unless you have lower bowl seats. If you’re unfortunate enough to have the person in front of you lean even an inch forward there, you’re staring at the back of their head more than you are watching the game. Seriously, those fans of the Oilers who brag about that building must never have left the concourse/lower bowl.

Though I guess “steeper and more stacked” should improve that viewing angle more.

They are basing the new arena heavily off of Little Caesar's Arena in Detroit, which by pretty much all accounts from people who have been there is a world class arena.

I think this will be a SUBSTANTIAL improvement over the Oilers arena, which I also don't think is that great. Other than the concourse having sight lines to the ice (which is a cool feature) there was nothing in the Oilers arena that I'd say was any better than the Dome other than just being new.

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad