Flames Arena, the Saga Continues

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Exactly, thanks for agreeing. The real value is in the building and separate events, as well as the inflex of development dollars, which is why the city should pay their fair share. The city of Calgary has no intention of taking a step backwards. It's just a ruse, wasting time and costing taxpayers more in the end.
We don't agree and quit pretending we do. Under the deal that was just canceled the Flames are the only ones profiting from the arena so should be paying everything - including taxes to the city. I don't know why people think that Flames owners should be entitled to rip off taxpayers the way this agreement would have allowed.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

For the sake of each and every taxpayer in the city I hope the deal really is dead and that the Flames find a way to pay for everything themselves. I hope the city walks away and never returns until something new is on the table - something that benefits taxpayers in a big and meaningful way.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
This better just be negotiating tactics. If we lose the team I'm officially done with the NHL.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think CSEC was looking for an excuse to pull out of the arena deal. ... and they found one.
I imagine they've lost a lot of money in the past couple of years... in fact I imagine they are bleeding money on a daily basis and the near future doesn't look too bright during which construction costs will begin to skyrocket. Right now they probably weren't too excited about spending $300-350m (not counting inflation costs) of their money building a new arena that will take years for them to recoup their costs.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them try to renegotiate the whole deal so that it costs them a lot less or to try and resurrect the Calgary Next proposal which was a lot more favorable to them with regards to surrounding land development and future revenues.
As for people shitting on Mayor Gondek... she is only one vote of fifteen. Her vote counts for no more or no less than the votes of the fourteen city councillors.
With regards to everyone's favorite ex-pat resident Swiss billionaire Murray Edwards ....his vote carries a hell of a lot more weight than the individual votes of the other three minority owners. Murray's fingerprints are all over this pullout. Gondek is just a small cog in the wheel.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think CSEC was looking for an excuse to pull out of the arena deal. ... and they found one.
I imagine they've lost a lot of money in the past couple of years... in fact I imagine they are bleeding money on a daily basis and the near future doesn't look too bright during which construction costs will begin to skyrocket. Right now they probably weren't too excited about spending $300-350m (not counting inflation costs) of their money building a new arena that will take years for them to recoup their costs.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them try to renegotiate the whole deal so that it costs them a lot less or to try and resurrect the Calgary Next proposal which was a lot more favorable to them with regards to surrounding land development and future revenues.
As for people shitting on Mayor Gondek... she is only one vote of fifteen. Her vote counts for no more or no less than the votes of the fourteen city councillors.
With regards to everyone's favorite ex-pat resident Swiss billionaire Murray Edwards ....his vote carries a hell of a lot more weight than the individual votes of the other three minority owners. Murray's fingerprints are all over this pullout. Gondek is just a small cog in the wheel.
I agree. It would not be surprising if Edwards, especially given his background, was hesitant to jump into a longterm investment with the city. I feel as though it could be a sign of things to come, with investors choosing to "move past" Calgary, if you will. Bitting the hand that feeds you is never a good way to start your tenure, especially during a climate emergency and pandemic.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
What I found very interesting was that CSEC was trying to sell the Stampeders.. who are stable/profitable/competitive back in the summer. Probably because McMahon needs upgrades etc..

Not too often do these sports monopolies in cities like to give up that Monopoly position.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Fine with me. Put the money into downtown revitalization and the green line.

I really do not GAF to give Edwards and co any more public money at this point.
I used to be totally for the new arena development but there comes a point where you just get sick and tired of billionaire rich guys constantly demanding more and more. I think they've over played their hand this time. f*** 'em.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I used to be totally for the new arena development but there comes a point where you just get sick and tired of billionaire rich guys constantly demanding more and more. I think they've over played their hand this time. f*** 'em.

I agree with this, but also, to be fair; I also am sooooo tired of politicians playing to their base around every corner.

Like, no one can just do something the right way anymore, they all need to feed to their core to support themselves/their party. This is why this pandemic is never ending, this is why Jyoti goes on Twitter and throws rocks rather than being an adult and issuing a statement like you'd expect a mayor of a major city to do.

I've been involved in multi million dollar deals, many times, in my past; when people negotiate in bad faith I've been tough to deal with as well. I can't stand having a framework done, renegotiating in good faith, agreeing on the renegotiation only for the other party to come back AGAIN with further demands. I've been there. It sucks. It doesn't show good faith, it shows either a lack of awareness, a lack of organization/housekeeping or a lack of care. I don't blame the Flames for pulling out too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad